Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Throttle to Rudder Rate mix

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Rendegade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle to Rudder Rate mix

What does the the rud rud mix do for you?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 PM
RogerParrett

Interesting. When I did RUD->RUD, I could not get the VR to work as the OP described. However, by doing the RUD->AUX1, it did perform as noted above. Further, I was able to use point curves or expo in the mix AFR to get a non-linear servo output response from the rudder stick based on the position of the throttle stick.

I'm using a Futaba 12FG with Ver 2.1 software.

r/s... Roger Parrett
Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
RogerParrett

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

What does the the rud rud mix do for you?
Typically I've used the ChanX->ChanX mix trick to turn a channel off, by programming the mix curve to be "flat" across the entire stick travel. I've only used this trick to disable the throttle on electric planes - sort of like a safety switch. With the higher-end radios - with the ability to add a "trim" and attach the trim to any control (such as the throttle), it was hoped that a Rud->Rud mix would allow the overally response (and endpoints) to be a function of where the throttle stick was. Makes sense, but I did not play around long enough with my 12FG to get it to work. The Rud-Aux1 method worked perfect, first time I tried.

The higher-end Futaba radios have a LOT of control options - over 40 variables to specify - depending on the type of mix you are setting up.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe their are one or two very slight (unintended?) differences in the 12FG and 14MZ software.

I'm running the following on the 14MZ
Editor: 1.6.0
Encoder: 1.44

I played around with the Rud AFR set to linear 50%, and with a Rud->Rud Prog Mix linear at 100% and was getting a linear +-100%. Using J2 (my throttle stick) as my fine tune input to vary the mix rate to alter the total rudder output.

By setting a non-linear AFR and/or non-linear Prog Mix, I could get a non-linear rudder to rudder-stick response but can't achieve a non-linear Rudder total AFR to Throttle position behaviour.

Looks like someone in Futaba's software dept. messed up bad and needs to be beaten with a pillowcase full of old 14MZ batteries
Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: highside

OK, sorry for the confusion.

The feature I require is to adjust the Rudder Rate (or AFR, travel, sensitivity or other loosely equivalent term) as a function of the throttle position. Ideally this needs to be via a curve rather than being constrained to be linear. For F3A, the use is to progressively reduce the rudder travel as the throttle is opened. It takes a bit of setting up to get it right but it really makes a difference in integrated rolling manouvres and rolling circles, especially when it is blowing a gale and upwind and downwind airspeeds are significantly different. As a an additional advantage it can be used to give full rudder travel at idle for stall turns and spins - I know some people use a switch for this.

On the 9Z, you can do this using the Rate Control programmable mix (CTL), p.66 of the manual. From memory this provides a five point curve for the feature (might be 7).

I'm not familiar with the other Z's and the 14MZ and 18MZ, but I know other pilots doing it on the MZ's. The manuals for these do not mention a CTL mix type, but I assume there is another method - possibly the VTR mix type, but it is hard to tell from the manuals. As for JR/Jeti/Hitec/Spektrum/Airtronic I also can't find anything obvious in the manuals, hence the question

HS
I can confirm that with 12Z you can control the mix (say to rudder by throttle) through a multi-point curve. The curve can be potentially discrete: at low or middle throttle range, almost no mix, and at/after a certain point, 2% mix etc.

On 12Z, multi-point curve is just one type of mixes. Others include exponential, linear etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:51 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi nonstoprc,

highside is talking about controlling the total rate of the rudder via a non-linear curve coming from the throttle position, something that the 12FG and 14MZ can't do (yet).

The mixes RogerParrett and my self are talking about are a "backdoor" way of achieving a similar effect but it would seem that the best that can be managed is a linear change in total rate with no extra bumps or dips at certain points.

Of course multiple conditions and/or mutliple rates switched via the throttle stick would duplicate the non-linear effect highside is used to but not in a smooth seamless fashion as the rudder would quickly jerk (depending on the delays) to the new position, when switching between on the AFR's or Rate curve's. The Rudder jumping between different AFR or Rate curves as you throttle up and down performing a rolling loop probably would lose you more points than it would be worth.

This might be worth asking Futaba to look at for a future firmware update???