Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Hanger Queens

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Hanger Queens

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 06:14 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hanger Queens

ORIGINAL: TKFOKKER
...but really isn't that the reason we build them?
I'm not sure that's really the reason I build. I think I build just for the pleasure of building. Flying's a pleasurable extra. I tend to lose interest in a model very soon after I finish it...and fly it...because by then I'm deep into the next build.

But I'm with TK that airplanes, even if they're just models, belong in the air. Even if it's only for a few precious minutes. And, yeah, there is no feeling in the whole world like that moment just after you stick that first landing. My last two maidens (the Snipe and the SE5a) however were extremely high-pressure situations since in both cases a photographer had traveled down from Tokyo specifically to photograph my model (for a cover story each time).
Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM
jim19
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my hangar queen. I built this JN-4D and intended to to fly it FAI scale compitions in Europe while I was stationed in Germany. Totally scratch built from the same plans as Proctor uses, the only fittings or accessories purchased were turnbuckles and wheels. It is built precision scale all the way down to the mahogany instrument panel. Maiden flight went well until a crosswind on landing did some damage to the landing gear. Repairs were made but not in time for it to be ready for a scale meet in Oss, Holland (the last I would be able to make before returning to the states). After returing, didn't like the idea of flying it off asphalt or dirt (I live in the desert), so it became my display piece. Because my eyes are not as good as they once were, the Jenny has become my "baby". It is still flyable but don't know if it will fly again.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13939.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1824545  
Old 11-28-2012, 11:40 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just wondering if Female Pilots refer to their planes as hangar kings? Anyone ever heard one say that?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Jaybird

Interesting how WWI and Golden Era aircraft seem to be the majority so far. I have seen both of TKFokker's aircraft at Rhinebeck and they are gorgeous on the ground and in the air. I have seen several JN4 models there at Rhinebeck in different scales, but I haven't seen one fly (not saying they didn't, I just didn't see them) The "Jenny" is my favorite aircraft and I love to watch and listen to the full scale at Rhinebeck and at home in Rockland at the Owls Head museum. A JN4 model in any scale would pose quite a challenge just to transport and assemble much less fly.

My queen is a Top Flite/Dave Platt 1/6 scale SE5a that I've had a long history with. It's a tough little plane to fly and was to be part of the group I was going to bring to Rhinebeck this past September but I didn't get to go. After several flights I don't think I'd take it there to fly as it's hard to handle on the ground and in the air.

Jaybird
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2012, 05:01 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Jaybird
Interesting how WWI and Golden Era aircraft seem to be the majority so far.
That might just reflect that the this forum is where the WWI and Golden Era builders hang out.

Jim, my first scale model was built while I was living in the US and it wasn't possible (or I didn't think it was possible at that time) to bring it back with me to Japan. So I hung in on the ceiling in the US and there it has stayed. However, last summer I did take it down, removed the (non-scale) wings, and got it ready to transport.

BTW, that's a great looking model, do you have an more photos of it you can post?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM
TFF

The Proctor N11 has a DAMO FA-218 twin. If your not the builder I would bet the plane was built to showcase the engine. Made in Sweden.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 PM
abufletcher

One thing I can never understand are the guys (and there are a few of them) who build fully functional models, with servos, and RX, and batteries, and tank, and engine, and all of that, yet never intend to fly the model. Seems like an unfortunate waste of good equipment.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 PM
TFF

I remember seeing a guy in a city park driving his plane around like a rc car. I told him there was a public flying field on the other side of the park. He looked at me like I was crazy to suggest flying.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:31 PM
abufletcher

For a "display model" to impress me, it really has to take scale detailing to a whole different level. Only the barest few RC models really achieve the level of the best museum display models. I'm thinking here of the static models by, for example, Rojas-Bazan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya4h8yHdgFc

The Proctor "museum" kits offer a superb foundation for a really outstanding flying scale model. But they don't even come close to the detail of the best static display models. But for me, the fact that a model can actually fly adds a vital level of realism that no static model can ever have.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

abufletcher....your hurting my feelings
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM
abufletcher

But there are some RC scale models that are right there at the highest level:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOZCFR0Mr34[/youtube]

And, yes, it was flown!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

BTW, Peter, that's one darn beautiful model you've got going there!
+1 to that ...... stunning work!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:56 AM
rcten

TFF, you got it! I built the plane, had the kit for twenty years so finally in 2004 decided it was time to build her, the engine was a perfect fit so that became her new home, originally had the engine in a Dave Platt Jungmeister, which met it's demise.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: rcten
...had the kit for twenty years...
I first looked at the "Lou Proctor" N11 kit in 1982, back when Proctor was still headquartered (if you could call it that) in Southern Cal. I remember being awestruck by the kit, but back in those days, I sure didn't have the money for such a model, let alone the money for all the other RC stuff.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: rcten

TFF, you got it! I built the plane, had the kit for twenty years so finally in 2004 decided it was time to build her, the engine was a perfect fit so that became her new home, originally had the engine in a Dave Platt Jungmeister, which met it's demise.
I was reading up on the DAMO FA-218 twin and found mention that it doesn't need any oil. Is that what you meant by "untouched by castor oil?" I took that to mean it hasn't been flown. [:-]
Old 11-29-2012, 05:08 AM
yel914

I'm guilty of making a few hanger queens. Amoung them are a pair of 1/5th scale Ikon N'Wst Waco UPF7s. I built one for my friend and one for me. Neither has been in the air. Maybe someday though

Name:	Ax72980.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1824866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76655.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1824867  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

I only have one hangar queen that has hung over my bed since. My daughter found it for a birthday when I was bit younger. Not sure of age but its an old silk and dope tiger moth. I did put a new engine and servos in it but ne er got up the nerve to fly it. But I havemany planes to fly so maybe one day the tiger moth will fly. But it does look great inverted over my bed!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
rcten

Originally it called for 1% castor but they later changed it to 1 to 5% for safety reasons, there are 4 main bearings and needle bearings on the rods and cam shaft plus the fuel is dispersed thru the crankcase as is the Technopower for better low end lubrication and fuel distribution. I flew this engine in a Dave Platt Jungmister, it just has never run on the Nieuport. The weakness with the Damo was the connecting rods, they are cast alum. I had new ones made from alum. bar stock and fitted with needle bearings. This is a very compact engine for a 1.10 cu. and fits the short nosed Nieuport very well.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1/5 scale Page Aviation GB R2 is my hangar queen; I only flew it once. It flew very well, but landing it stressed me out so much I missed the runway by ~3ft! Since I get enough stress at work, I opted to fly other planes instead. After 20 years in the hobby, I think I'm more interested in building than flying now.

Name:	Ec88714.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	1824913  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:38 AM
tc-62

Wow I don't the eng. but she'll look even better at 50 ft. Just kidding, isn't going to look any better than that but come on can't you just see her in the air?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:07 AM
abufletcher

I can say (with a certain pride) that I've never built an RC model and then not flown it. I tend to fly my newly finished models as soon as the weather permits...no letting them "age in the shop." Models are generally not like wine. My weakness is getting them back into the air after a few initial flights. []
Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I only built one Hangar Queen, a 1/4 scale WACO YMF-5 from Pepino plans.
It was a labor of love for over 900hrs. I redrew the wing ribs for a correct profile and fixed numerous errors on the plans before cutting the 1st piece of wood. I had full intentions of flying the plane and as soon as I finished I ran into a great deal on a 1/3 WACO and immediately started on the build. Once the 1/3 was finished I decided not to fly the 1/4 as I had a bigger WACO to fly. I donated the 1/4 WACO to the WACO Museum in Troy Ohio and then proceeded to crash my 1/3 the following weekend.

My 1/4 WACO is proudly displayed at the WACO Museum if you are ever in the area. It is now officailly a true Hangar Queen
Later!!
Anthony

Name:	Ge96456.jpg
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1826145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36855.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1826146  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM
abufletcher

Oh, the irony! I'll admit that the thought of donating my Snipe to a small local aviation museum did cross my mind once or twice.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:03 PM
flyingchef
My Feedback: (93)

Well here is my queen of the hangar, no longer flying but I'm sure you'll understand!
Pica P51, the fuse was originally built by a gentlemen back in the 90's who took her to Top Gun, I think it was in 1998. The plane changed hands until it ended in Colorado and after losing the wing in a crash I ended up buying the fuselage. The original engine was a super Tiger 4500, that was not going to do it flying in Denver so on the side of building another wing I also rebuilt the nose and fitted a 3W70i. The plane was striped and repainted to the same scheme that dressed her since she was first built " CRIPES A' MIGHTY 3rd", looking like new I took her to Top Gun in 2005. The same year in September I was invited to the 352nd WWII veterans reunion in Wichita, Kansas where I had the honor to have many of the pilots and ground crews signing her wings. Since then I removed the engine and all electronics and she became my queen of the hangar!

Name:	Yw66546.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1826352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74775.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1826353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73809.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1826354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94999.jpg
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1826355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84301.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1826356  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM
I-NAV
My Feedback: (3)

The queen of the gargage is my 13' turbine powered U2. Fun to fly, but nearly imposible to land in the 15-20 knot trade winds here in Hawaii. Won't quit flying..

Name:	Hf10373.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1826369  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.