Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

How can I lanch a heavy slope glider over treeline?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

How can I lanch a heavy slope glider over treeline?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 PM
rcuname

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I lanch a heavy slope glider over treeline?

There is a small treeline on this huge slope. My ship is toooo heavy to throw over the trees. I can barely throw it for a glide test! How can I get it over the trees? A highstart is out of the question it would only stall and there is no wind since the trees block off the wind. Any ideas?

Itried another ship on a highstart it angled itself way too far as in nose up. A heavvy ship does not like a high angle of attack. Ineed something like a JATO assist lol...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34069.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1824799  
Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: How can I lanch a heavy slope glider over treeline?

Hi, not sure I understand the layout of the terrain, but from what i can see, I wouldn't fly there myself.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:19 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a bungee launch.

They are like a high start only the rubber is short and much, much stronger. The cord is also shorter. You basically make them to suit the very restricted launch area you want a launcher for.

Your 'slope' sounds like the only one I've found within a 2 hour drive of here. It's called the Lump and is really just a clearing in some trees on a hill. The flying is actually just modified thermal flying. You can't see the face of the slope at all, but you do get slope lift. Flying happens above the trees. You keep the glider above your head if you're smart. It really isn't slope flying at all. We use a bungee launch there. The clearing has about 200' left-right to the trees. Due to the prevailing winds, we launch to the right and turn to the left. Needless to say, we don't go too far out. We don't go behind us much either as there is a dip for the park area and a taller hill is behind that. Turbulence kills.

It's really the only 'slope' anyone around here knows of. Not been back for years after the first few trips. I spend some time the last trip searching that area and didn't find anything else that wasn't under trees. Just because there are hills doesn't mean they are good slopes.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:44 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

A power pod is another option to aid your launch:

http://www.icare-rc.com/ema.htm

(If you can bear the thought of mounting one).
Old 11-29-2012, 05:24 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bungee. Don't put the hook in the normal plave for a sailplane, put it more forward so the plane goes out not up.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM
rcuname

I glassed in a forward wire with a bent hook about 10 pm and went to sleep while the expoxy cured. Got up and it got me over those trees the 1st time like a rocket..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksf0LHn2jQM

Thanks for th idea
Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Good 4 u! You've got more skills than I do, RESPECT
V.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

Bungee. Don't put the hook in the normal plave for a sailplane, put it more forward so the plane goes out not up.
Agreed.

I have a slope site where I have to launch over a treeline that is about 100 feet in front of me, but once I pass that tree line, LIFT!

To get over the trees Iuse a short hi-start of 25 feet of rubber and about 50 feet of line. If you can adjust your hook position, move it forward a bit so you get less height and more speed on the launch, to help you get over those trees.