Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 AM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Hey Curls !.....

6 ounce works well for me....I use 2 main layers on either side of the board.

To ensure that the hull is strong enough when I hollow out all the foam to create the housing. I also add a 3rd layer inside the housing area base once it is created, as I build up the housing wall.

To ensure that the deck is strong enough around the housing/lid flange to support the pressure push down of the lid seal, whilst helping better keep the bolts in place.

I also place a small patch either side of the board, in the area of the rudder pivot tube, to ensure that their is extra strength to withstand the leverage.

Relating full scale board strength to our rcboards - besides the strength of a stringer, the weak part of our boards is the area of the hull where the housing is, this needs strength to prevent flexing, as it carries the righting weight, as well as the motor , battery etc which all told id the bulk weight of the board.

The speed of our board is also quite considerable increasing impact effect and if you equate the weight of a board to the surface area you will find that a full scale board could have less load bearing weight than a rcboard in relation to total surface area.

I have noticed that the board takes quite a 'knock' in the water when hitting khelp heads and the like....I have one or two good dings to show for it. Even a third layer of cloth would be good on the hull side.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 AM
bearcave

YPC....

The idea of the extended prop shaft was to get the bite of the prop deeper and furthar back in the water.... I have bought lots of stuff from 'offshore' and they had these generic shafts that took threaded props and i just bought some (and some props)then cut em long and short and tried em out.... remember the nqd has a rather angled driveline..... and lookin at surfcurls latest version I think I'm seeeing a more flatter drive angle which can only be good in all ways.

Atm Istillhave no idea wether the prop's position aft or fwdmakes anydiff but.

Regarding the thin swept back fin all i can say is that when i got into this pastime many years ago Idid enjoythe Ed Deitrich/Bad Billy way of doing things.
If you look closely at a Bad Billy single fin you will see it generates some downforce....bit like a bi-fin with tabs....maybe not so much but it is there.

Anyway the swept back fin in the pics gave me a more loose and less direct steering action especially at speed on a wave face...everything changes when you are goin fast..... actually I might run it again and see how it goes..... maybe some more vision of another first go at the boat ramp with an old school fin....
Obviously not as exciting as in the waves but hopefully there will be more V8 boats charging around for those most enjoyable musical sound effects

BillyBongo.... all looking good for a nice birthday hope all goes well... if not welcome to the addiction of making it better (remember its neverending lol)

Powerpark.... I played with my Kyosho along the the lines of the "David Reece Radio Waves" vid.... my take was a bit different but if I get some time may take some pics of what i did to that tail.... haha maybe even a first go at the boat ramp with a Kyosho as well.

InDaTubeLarry..... nice pics.... reckon you are already there you just need a video man or a helmet cam to show us more...

BTW longitudinal centre of gravity makes a big difference too..... and at the end of the day these are just my opinions so don't read too much into them.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:53 AM
bearcave

billybongo... I have given up on the solid shaft couplings..... most guys are running flexy shafts these days but i'm yet to get there.

Karl H2o and YPC seem to have the shaft system worked out well and i hope to modify my boards that way eventually too but have noticed Kite has a 'splash gaurd" and YPCis running onelike i do too to stop the water/grease/oil leaking up your shaft spraying everywhere.

My flexible drive coupling is a Graupner uni joint that works good on rc cars. It's not stainless and needs oil now and then and even though the motor needs to be mounted more fwd to suit (helping cg without added lead) and the flexing angles are not exactly right it works so much better than a solid coupler.

I posted these pics a while back but what the hell seein as the cyber gods are allowing me to post pics here are they are again..... maui john I think uncyber monday may have passed.... not game to have a go at postin anything vid wise myself but the latest from Hawaii is always welcome...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86212.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1824418   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43172.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1824419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58470.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1824420  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM
surfcurls
Banned

MJ

Are you still ariving on the Mainland This Week ?

E mail me ...
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 AM
bearcave

YPC

Knowing how much you like 'fins' i dug out an old photo i copied off one of the ******** sites backthen but can't remember what the site was called.... The finswere called 'barracuda's' and I copied one out of brass sheet.

The extended prop tube in the photo was a bush type one i made and it is the same length as the original nqd one.... i just tried outa long and short shaft to suit.

billybongo.... the uni-joint i've been using is a Graupner bj17.... but my motor is the small shaft type 3mm..... they make a 5mm to 4mm one as well.... i still use the solid coupling to line up the motor to shaft if the motor has to come out.

Anyway not recommending anything just sayin what i did and showin the pics.

Surfcurls. lookin forward to seeing that board of yours going.... best of luck with the glassing...and the more i think about it reckonglassing a glass would be quite a challenge hey!

Name:	Pn37126.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1824833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86909.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	1824834  
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

ypc

the new board looks great, the keel is very sleek,,whoever gets that board will be very happy..

bearcave

the fins look like samurai swords ,, i bet they work even better,,

billybongo63
the waves in oregon are suppose to be huge ,, i hope little man is ready to go big

maui john

Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 AM
RC Surfer

ORIGINAL: bearcave.

Regarding the thin swept back fin all i can say is that when i got into this pastime many years ago Idid enjoythe Ed Deitrich/Bad Billy way of doing things.
If you look closely at a Bad Billy single fin you will see it generates some downforce....bit like a bi-fin with tabs....maybe not so much but it is there.

Hope the pic shows up, we'll soon see. Anyways the Koanda bace on the fin was oridgenaly designed for nose riding long boards. I liked the idea of the winglets on the bi-fin keeping the tail in the water, cutting the winglets off helped stablize the board but spinn outs were more commondbut at speed and a little turn the fin seamed (more so with the wingletts)to flex and theboard would squirl out turning anyway it wanted to go (out of controle) and aftore breaking a bunch of stems I desided a newdesign and unbreakable fin was in order as a result of many bace designs the tail stayed in the water andthe board became stable and with alot less weed and trash pick-up!
Later Dudes BB
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sq48240.pdf (166.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Hughengland

RC Surfer:
reading your post - I believe your fin was cavitating
- winglets and "fences" on fins help prevent the cavitation (notice the "fences" on shafts of outboard engines)
- very interesting to study cavitation in hydrodynamics.
I got into leaning about it in the early days of windsurfing speed sailing, where we were always pushing fins past their limit

John - hope you get wave in CA

Hugh - working every day on the Red ........ event coming to Maui this winter - top secret!
Silver Surfer is ready for the BIG DROP..........................
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Hughengland

Hugh has news from Maui - I guess that Red Bull is not trying to keep the Jaws Paddle contest a secret.
I just got this link on my facebook:- check it out

http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satelli...21243288813920

I am one of the Red Bull crew hired on the setting up the contest at Jaws - going to be very cool as they are spending some big bucks on this event. We have blessing & opening party 7 Dec - then we wait for the BIG SWELL.

Silver Surfer is ready

Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 PM
YPC

Hi Hugh.........your surf session surf looks ROUGH..... - I always picture Hawaii the place to have constant perfect surf.....but it seems like you guys have good days and bad days like the rest of us...........thanks for the link - great footage to get an idea of the wave face and conditions......towing in definitely is an easier option than actually 'paddling in'......those guys have serious guts !

HEY CURLS.....note the BUMPY wave face and STRONG WIND tearing up the face..............I still reckon you will need a board weighing nothing less than 30 kg's (60 pounds) if you are going to stand a chance......and there better be some Big Speed in that throttle......no doubt you will need it.........LOL

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 11-30-2012, 01:55 AM
bearcave

ORIGINAL: RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

ypc

the new board looks great, the keel is very sleek,,whoever gets that board will be very happy..

bearcave

the fins look like samurai swords ,, i bet they work even better,,

maui john

maui john.... cut cut cut oops an artery blood spurt death omg court case... haha.... the lttle barracuda samurai swordfin even cut me once not even near the beach loland the swept back design put so much load on the steeringcable it used to flex so much sometimes i couldn't turn right at all.......might give it another go anyway just to see if i have alzheimers or not....

YPC....... new board lookin good espec like the soft to hard rail transitions... interesting to see how the pod goes.

BB......... Life is a ***** at timeswhich only time slightly heals butas you are commenting againit was good to read the facts about your revolutionary fin..... any chance you will be makeingany more of them unbreakable non trash taking classics. I see there are a few left in a place i can't mention due to RCU rules but its a shame they are classed as last items in stock..

Jaws....
Hugh you are gunna have some fun within that project....Surfcurls i think you are gunna need an 80lb+ streamlined surferanda damn long lensto capture him..... my god you may never see him again if he gets smashed....

oh dear have to go its time to hunt for food again.... lol
Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 AM
powerpark
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone thought of a perment battey in the board. With a charging lead outside the board (plug). So we dont have to keep opening and closing.
The batterys now have the high storage rate. Chargers are small. Just a thought.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 AM
trippergreenfeet

Depends whether it's a lipo or Nimh battery...it's doable but not really practical or safe, for lipos anyway.

To get decent turnaround the lipo would need to be chargedat 5C+, thisgets expensive. Top end batteries like Thunder Power to handle a 5C or above charge rate, a PL8, Hyperion Duo or similar charger capable of the same high charge rateand then a 24v high wattage power supply. There is a grand straight up, if not more.

If permenantly incased in the board, getting the lipo to cool quickly before recharge is also going to present problems, although there is some nifty, water cooled aluminium batteryboards to be had. The lipo is going to have a short life, if being recharged while still hot.

Then there is the rule of never charging a lipo in the model, when a good lipo goes bad, it generally does it with no warning. It'll be a quick sacrafice to Hui if a lipo caught fire inthe board.

Nimh is the choice battery to use due to safety concerns, however charging is relativly slow, thus turnaround will be average to say the least for back to back sessions.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Hugh
You and Maui Boyz Should be the first to challenge enormous waves (Jaws) with custom builds.
MJ and Jock got us all thinking out of the box years ago, The sky is the limit...

YPC
Let's hope Maui Crew gives Mav Project some advice on The Extreme Board dynamics.
I guess I have a working Crystal Ball, As I saw Extreme Rc Surfing "Comming Soon"

"Let There Be Light"
I mentioned my thoughts on UV rez and Blacklight.
Here is The Test Results: IT WORKS !
5 Min Bake Time, and $50 for The Light Set Up !

P.S.
Every time Maui John Travels To The So. Cal Mainland
He Brings Great Waves. This Trip is No Different.
The Swell is at 6 - 10 Foot Backs !

Name:	He96965.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1825350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21592.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1825351  
Old 12-01-2012, 02:51 AM
powerpark
My Feedback: (1)

Hey thanks for the battery input. I thought lipo did not get hot. Mine are very cool when I take them out of the my cars and surfboard. I never had one explode. I am running 3300 sky fly 2 cell 7.2 volts. I charge them at 6 amps. They run strong and charge time is like 15 mins. Its good food for thought. If someone got into production mode turning out boards I thought a sealed system would be better. Vs getting sand in the board and resealing it everytime changing batterys. The pain would be takeing along a charger and battery to the beach. On the up side a small tractor battery and a small charger would last you all day. I know someone will work this out. Just a idea.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Hughengland

Hugh testing ocean buoys for upcoming Red Bull "Paddel in at Jaws"
20ft x 20ft and yes they take an hour to inflate.
They will be anchored out to sea of the largest breaking waves!
They are frigging huge & very heavy.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Hugh,

That's Awesome.
Maybe someone needs to come up with an Rc Surfer
that the figure will be able to paddle (or at least simulate), and then stand up ?

Saildog was on the track with his Custom Built longboarder being able
to "walk" to the nose and hang 10.

It was classic to sea Dog's Idea at work !

Name:	Sq45692.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1826005  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 AM
K-H2o

Bearcave-  Nice vid you poated a while back. I really liked the El Rolo you made.  

I just got back from a trip to Oahu. My friend had a GoPro camera an we mounted it to the nose of Mini Man's board. Here is the vid. I had a fun trip, Surfed plenty.  Really crowded though with the Tripple Crown in action. Surfing ability of most everyone there is super high. 
    Aloha, Karl 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv-OQ...=youtu.beutube]

Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 AM
kitekook

Awesome KH20

Or should I have said 'Surfer Joe' !

Which mount did you use? Was it secure enough?

Since it was Hodgsen...that was the new GoPro?

it has so many features and is soooo small.

I really want a Go Pro now!

Thanks for shareing....
Old 12-03-2012, 04:56 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

karl

your footage was unreal,, best gopro ever,
maui john
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM
K-H2o

Kite- That was a Hero 3. It is insane how much info they record. It was on the average setting for frames/second
and a 40 min. vid was 16 gigs. It is interesting what stuff looks cool and what is soso. That left I was almost in the
barrel and it looks average. I put a strip of led under the battery and the GoPro in front. It was a touch nose heave still
but not bad. We just used the small stick on mounts. they held fine, but your really have to crank down onthe swivel.

Aloha, KH
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Ya Karl !

I didn't know you knew Flipper. True Pro Surf Photog For Sure !!!
He's a great guy. I was Going to stay at his house with Sunny Garcia
During the whole Triple Crown Gig, But have too much stuff going on...

That Video is Epic ! Can't believe the Shark Dude can take the punishment.
The movements of the figure makes it crazy.

Maybe a paddle guy that can stand up and move his body
is a possibility afterall ...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Hughengland

Great vid Karl, was that on your small board?
Where on North ashore did you surf?
Wish I was not working so much.......missing all the surf
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 PM
YPC

Hey Karl.......thanks for that footage.......always a different perspective with the GoPro.

What was interesting for myself was observing the movement of the Surfer. I thought that the Shark Surfers movement contributed toward actual weight displacement - but - it seems that he mostly rotates his torso/arms, more than anything else........In your opinion- does is add value to the rideability - or does it serve more to present a authentic looking surfer.

Curls......I'm starting to wonder about you.........are you sleeping ok ?........First dream was Mavericks - NOW - A action paddling - standing up - Surfer dude...........LOL

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 AM
bearcave

K-H2o.

I hear you when sayin the vision of almost in the tube goin left wasn't captured as it should have been....

Anyway thats a small point it still looked good and seeing the leaning guy in action is always good espec when he leans backhand i'm sure his weight adds to the turning not just the fact he looks like a real surfer.... great go pro vision and editing espec in the air well done......another first forkillawat Karl.

Five stars for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.