Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flight instructor job description

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flight instructor job description

Old 12-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flight instructor job description

Depends on if it is club operated or ONE person You see a lot of this where clubs have this problem.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
CHARLES WINTER

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi EddieC, The Russian aircraft is a TU-45. I intercepted and Filmed a number of Russian Aircraft when stationed in Iceland flying F-102s. I carried my Bolex 16mm movie camera with me on all my intercept flights. My movies were used for Navy and Air Force intelligence. (Great Story) Back to my "Instructor Training Guide". Thanks to the many that have requested for my Guide. It is VERY apparent that the subject of Instructing R/C is on many peoples mind. The lack of interest by the 2 major model magazines is still a mystery to me. A note to "CARPS" Your training program sounds GREAT. My effort is similar in a way to yours, but in the US we have hundreds of small clubs or little groups of flyers that can't gather or travel to a location and get the training. My HOPE is to give some inputs to the persons who want to be an Instructor. This SUBJECT has turned into a GREAT learning experience for all involved. Thanks to all. Col. Chuck Winter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80089.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1825555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50904.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	1825556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79599.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1825557  
Old 12-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The job description of most club instructors I have seen around here is to drink coffee and talk to your buddies while the student flies their plane into the ground.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Eating crow now Eddie! Don't know why I said the 104, I should've knownit was a 106 from past chats with the Col.
I've got his CD of the the film from the Detroit Nationals circa 1962 (I think). I had the opportunity to watch the 104s come and go at KPIE several years ago, really are like rockets. The 105, thats the Thud isn't it? No military background here, just grew up with a Marine Pop who hadplanes in his blood and passed it on!

Thanks for the info on the F7F Colonel, my brother and I hope to get a F7Fkit (Bridi's or other) and have it airborne for Pops before too much time passes. Appreciate your passing on the info; and you have an email regarding your manual. Thanks.
Mark
Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: flycatch

The best instructor is a certified full scale pilot. I have been among too many people who can fly but can't fly a traffic pattern or shoot touch and goes.
WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This subject and statement is not even worth adding another comment !

Well, maybe just one comment. If it is a good club with great / friendly members, they are always ready and willing to come forth with instruction and help, whether it be to a beginner or an expert, or from a beginner or expert.

Being a retired Airline Transport Pilot / CFI, the one thing that I found in my aviation career is that no matter how good you think you are, their is always somebody better than you. Its best to listen and take advise, filter out the good from the bad and pass it on with the hope that it will benefit somebody else that enjoys this hobby.

A certified full scale pilot may have all the theory and knowledge under his belt, but not be able to fly an RC aircraft. From what I have observed, some of the hardest people to teach RC flying to is a certified pilot.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Dude that teaches anoter dude how to fly toy plane on his free time.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 PM
chymas
My Feedback: (1)

Our club adopted the following AMA guideline:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/921.pdf
Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chymas

Our club adopted the following AMA guideline:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/921.pdf
I like the AMA guideline. Well done AMA.

I think that a person's good attitude, ability to teach and composure are what make a good instructor. Top notch flying skills are not needed. Just need to be good enough to take over and recover from bad situations.

Seems like some clubs suffer from "full scale envy".
Old 12-02-2012, 04:11 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Col. Winter, what is the gold/black plane in post 41? Looks like a Bridi design.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 PM
CHARLES WINTER

Hi EddieC, The RC airplane I am holding in front of the F-106 is my Original Dart I design. My series of Dart designs ended up with the Dart 3 which was featured in the now defunct RCM magazine. The plans of the Dart 3 are still available. The pressure suit I am wearing was for a test program that was run at Selfridge AFB 1964. The F-106 could achieve 60,000 ft. from a "Snap Maneuver" when launching weapons. (Great story, but for some other time) I have been asked by a number of persons if they can make copies of my "Instructor Training Guide" The answer is YES. This is the Draft Copy I sent to 2 Major Magazines with little to NO desire to entertain this subject. I am OPEN to any comments about about the Guide. The Genesis for this guide is a program that I was directly involved with during a tour as an Air Force Instrument training instructor in T-33s and F-102s. I will try to make this SHORT - The Air Force started to realize that some of the very skilled and high time pilots that were sent (assigned) to Instructor positions 1, Didn't want the assignment. 2, Were not good communicators. 3, Had accents that hindered their communication. 4, Plus other small impediments that detracted from being a GOOD instructor. Many of these Pilots were the types your want on your Wing in Combat (Killers) but not GOOD instructors. With out much FAN FARE, they were reassigned back to a squadron. I feel this Philosophy has some merit in our RC Model Hobby. Not all RC pilots make good instructors. They may have the desire but lack the aptitude. It's very hard to tell a FRIEND "Your a POOR INSTRUCTOR". Picture of my DART 3 and page from RC Modeler. Col. Chuck Winter

Name:	Bz79069.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1825903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71791.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1825904  
Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM
rcrmel

Hello ol buddy Mel
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
CHARLES WINTER

Hi Mel, Good to hear from you. Have you learned to FLY yet?? I'm still flying and Instructing about 3 times a week. Picture of my latest project. ESM T-28 with a Zenoah 45. Flies great and putting on the wheel pants. Col. Chuck Winter PS One of my DART series made while stationed at Selfridge AFB. 1963 ..

Name:	Hf97852.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1828441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47059.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1828442