Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

What does the "C" Mean On a Li-po??

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

What does the "C" Mean On a Li-po??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 PM
FlyingMaddLadd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does the "C" Mean On a Li-po??

Hi guys i just need to ask some questions
1: What does The C mean on a li-po?
2: Do i need a certain C
3: If i where to get a 3s 2200mah should i get a 20c or a 25/30c
4:Why should i?
5: Does it matter with charging?

Thanks guys for reading, i hope i get some answers soon thanks
Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What does the

That just means it's certified !
No,.....
Actually the "C" stands for........CAPACITY. It's the maximum safe continuous discharge rate of a lipo battery pack. The C rating you need depends on the type of set-up you are running and the required amp draw for the type of flying you do.
For example a 3S 2200ma 20C lipo would be able to draw up to 44 amps continuous discharge from it without doing any damage to the battery
You multiply the C rating by the amp rating. In this case 2200ma equals 2.2amps times the C rating of 20 equals 44amps.
You may also see a burst C rating on some batteries which means you can draw a certain amount of amps for a few seconds without doing damage to the battery.
Most parkflyer type planes can use a 10C or more rating. As the C rating increases so does the size and weight of they battery so you need to keep that in mind too.
Again the C rating you need depends on the type of flying and the planes set-up.
Any good balance charger will safely charge the lipo regardless of its C rating.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 PM
FlyingMaddLadd

Ok thank you very much, So it does not matter which one i should get, I have a good Balance Charger 1-6s. Also why do people say The "s" after a Cell? Is it just so it does not get mixed up with the other "C", I appreciate the time you put into helping me
Old 12-01-2012, 03:01 PM
flyinwalenda

The "S" is used to specify how many lipo cells are in the pack . 3S/2200 would mean a 3 cell 2200 milliamp  pack.
The "C" rating does matter and depends on what type of plane you are flying and it's set-up.  If you choose to low a "C" rating and put the lipo into a plane that draws too many amps at half throttle than the pack can handle , the pack will get very hot , puff-up , and be damaged.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 PM
FlyingMaddLadd

Oh Right i get you now I am Running a 2200kv motor on my multiplex easystar glider with a 2250mah 3s,That is an old battery and i need a new one so i am getting new ones, Would a 25c 2200mah 3s be ok for this? thanks
Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
flyinwalenda

As long as the physical dimensions of the pack allow it to fit into the battery compartment and the weight of the pack is not too much you can put a higher C rated pack into any plane. You won't damage a set-up using a higher C rated pack as the set-up will only draw what it needs to run. So if it ran fine on a  2250ma 15C lipo then using a 2200ma 25C lipo will allow you to run the motor a bit longer .
Old 12-01-2012, 05:38 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

S means series. Cells in series add voltage.

P means parallel, cells in parallel add capacity.

So 2 1000mah 3 volt batteries in series would result in a 1000mah 6v pack.
2 1000mah 3 volt batteries in parallel would result in a 2000mah 3v pack
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: FlyingMaddLadd

Oh Right i get you now I am Running a 2200kv motor on my multiplex easystar glider with a 2250mah 3s,That is an old battery and i need a new one so i am getting new ones, Would a 25c 2200mah 3s be ok for this? thanks

You will be fine with that battery.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 AM
FlyingMaddLadd

Ok thank you
Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The larger the C rating, the lower the internal impedance of the battery. Since the heat generated inside the battery as it is discharged is a function of current times the internal impedance you can see that the higher the C rating, the less heat that is generated within the cell as well as the lower voltage loss across the cell. Unfortunately, you can not put to much trust in the published C ratings, very often this may be stretching the truth a bit. Also, as a cell ages, the C rating will drop; i.e. the internal resistance increases. In general, it pays to get as high a C rating as you can and still have it fit in the physical constraints your plane has.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A good read...

https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...po-terminology