Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:25 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

I had an Elan with a P80 in it at first and it was adequate, by putting the 120 in it all it achieved was a faster rate of climb and a much shorter take off, the top speed according to my GPS did not alter significantly, I have seriously thought of putting my JetsMunt P90 in one the saving in weight would give performance in between the P80 and P120 I should think, but then I have it in a Sprint at the moment and its so much fun, but an ugly airframe compared to the Elan.

Mike
Old 10-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Turbinac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally designed Elan for the P70 or P80 size turbines. My original Elan still has a Wren Supersport (about 18 lbs thrust) in it and being light has a very adequate performance plus gets an easy eight to ten minutes on a small 2 litre fuel tank. All up weight is under twenty pounds dry, which enhances the flight performance considerably. About 6 years old, hundreds of flights. One of my favourite jets and aging well.
Any of the new lighter, small size 70, 80, 90 or 100 turbines would be great for an Elan. There are Elans flying with a huge range of turbines and they all seem to perform very well. Seems to me that for speed, acceleration and amazing verticals with BIG manouevres the big turbines do it but for aerobatic flying closer in and slower easy landings, the lighter the airframe the better, so the small turbines come into their own. It's a very adaptable airframe.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the split kevlar smoke/fuel tank.. I would like to add more fuel.. I can always toss the smoke system and use both sides of the tank.. thats the easy way.. Looking for ideas on tanks either for header, or for smoke.. I have a larger motor, so want a little more fuel..

ideas? photos..? Oh, I have also looked at Mjuniors pics of the 14/12 oz under tank.. but my Air Trap and pumps are mounted there..
Old 10-27-2012, 03:18 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

I would think the wren 160 is far too big in physical size for the elan, you would be much better off with a Merlin 140 or JC cheetah much better power to weight.
No sir.. its shorter than a P80.. and lighter.. Its a monster vertical too.. fully fueled right after takeoff, straight up if you want.. I have the motor turned down to around 30lb.. I have been remiss, will get some pics up. Im redoing a few things. I did notice I needed to slightly open up the exit port.. it has a little heat warpage to it.. that will let air exit better too..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39070.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	1815409  
Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: mjunior

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Yes, I see the holes in the fuselage lip, and where the rails have been cut away to accomodate the width of the 120. Doesn't seem like too tough a job to get the 120 to fit.

One other question: are there any heat issues with the a (relatively, for the Elan) large engine like a 120 filling up so much space in the engine bay?

Thanks

use BVM ceramic paint on the underside of the canopy.. I have a Wren 160 in mine.. I like the power too, and I have the smoke split tank.. I get about 5min and then land.. I only open the throttle going up.. the rest is half throttle.. I flamed out at 7 mins one time holding high as the runway was being cleared once..

I love the power, but Im looking to see how to stuff a smoke tank somewhere so I can get the fuel back on the tank..

All those engine options are fine.. whichever one you have is the best.. this thing would fly on a 70 or a 160.. doesn't matter....
Goose,
Do you have pictures of the new installation (wren 160). I'm considering to upgrade my Elan for a Wren 160 (or the new 140) to have more power when climbing. I don't care for extra speed. Also would the current air inlets a constrain for a 160?
Mucio
Yes soon.. sorry been busy.. it will require moving things around because the motor is 1.2 lb heavier If you have patience, I would wait for the 140.. it will almost drop in and should require maybe moving a battery at worst.. they will start shipping early next year
Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up getting a 140RX for my L-39, so I'm using the P120 that was in it to go in the Elan. After looking Mjunior's smoke tank install, I also have questions about where he put his UAT (if he's using one) and his air tank(s). The bay underneath my fuel tank is empty, but just forward of that the underneath space is taken up by my air tanks and UAT.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 PM
gooseF22

His UAT sits up on the fuel tray in front of the fuel cell starboard side.. I thing he is using shorter tanks like I am.. leaves about a 3 inch gap under there..

See my pics.. I have a 14 ounce smoke.. wish it was bigger maybe I will rearrange the pumps later..dunno.. maybe I will make a custom tank.. its tight in there.. I have the split tank, but I flamed out twice this year during flying, so I decided to add the split side back by cross feeding it, so I had to stuff what I could for smoke... just a little to play around with..

this Jet will sit on the booms no problem, and is very light on the nose with 1/4 tank fuel.. I have flopped it, stalled it, gotten it slow, dropped it in, and it has never had a scary moment.. I got really slow one day and just gently held it off, and it never dropped a wing or nose.. just mushed slightly, so I know the CG is where it should be.. It will almost sit on the tail full.. when I add smoke, it gets more nose heavy, but thats gone when I land.

I also clear coated the aircraft, so the booms are a little heavier...etc..

After flying all year with 30lb thrust, I dialed it back to 25-27 or so, (wren 120 settings), I really dont need to be doing 50 mph full fuel climbs.. no place to go if something happens..

Name:	Ge94759.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1815452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27931.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1815453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94005.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1815454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15295.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1815455  
Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to put a B100F in mine. 27 lbs thrust, low fuel consumption, and not much bigger/heavier than a Rabbit/100 size turbine.

PaulD
Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: PaulD

I'm going to put a B100F in mine. 27 lbs thrust, low fuel consumption, and not much bigger/heavier than a Rabbit/100 size turbine.

PaulD
Excellent choice.. thats about where I fly mine.. it hits about 160 like that, but it will stay there... even going up..

Any 100 class or 120 class is kick butt in this jet.. with the 160, I never opened up the throttle on a down line.. It seemed to be about the same top speed if I was half, or almost full on level pass. so I really dont know how fast it can go.. didn't want to find out the hard way because I know I over powered it.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:36 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

All this is a head-scratcher. Looks like I'll need to do a complete re-do/re-arrange of the insides to accomodate a dedicated smoke tank. While the dual fuel/smoke tank solves the problem, I'm really reluctant to give up the fuel capacity.

I do know JetTech will custom-build a tank, adjusting the fuel/smoke quantities for you. I had the 88 oz (67/21 split) tank in my Intro, and while it wasn't a lot of smoke, it did hold enough for a few loops and other whifferdills. So, I may have them alter the standard Elan fuel/smoke (90/35 split) to 100/25 or something. Not that 10 oz makes that much difference in extra fuel...but it might! What I need to do is once I get the P120 installed just fly a bunch with the 125oz tank that I have now and see what I'm averaging for fuel burn/fuel remaining, then see if the fuel/smoke tank is even an option.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 PM
martinjpainter

Can someone post some pictures of the retract installation, showing the air line for the wheel brakes. A friend is installing trailing legs in another friend’s Elan and wants to know the best way of routing the brake airline (i.e. where it should exit the underside of the model).
Many thanks in advance...
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Need to leave enough slack under the retract unit so the pipe can slide about

Name:	Us53314.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1818047  
Old 11-06-2012, 02:21 AM
mjunior

ORIGINAL: martinjpainter

Can someone post some pictures of the retract installation, showing the air line for the wheel brakes. A friend is installing trailing legs in another friend’s Elan and wants to know the best way of routing the brake airline (i.e. where it should exit the underside of the model).
Many thanks in advance...
Starting at post #133 there are a couple pictures of mine. Take a look. Perhaps less than you expect but better than nothing. In the other thread you may find someting also.
Regards
Old 11-06-2012, 10:40 AM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

All this is a head-scratcher. Looks like I'll need to do a complete re-do/re-arrange of the insides to accomodate a dedicated smoke tank. While the dual fuel/smoke tank solves the problem, I'm really reluctant to give up the fuel capacity.

I do know JetTech will custom-build a tank, adjusting the fuel/smoke quantities for you. I had the 88 oz (67/21 split) tank in my Intro, and while it wasn't a lot of smoke, it did hold enough for a few loops and other whifferdills. So, I may have them alter the standard Elan fuel/smoke (90/35 split) to 100/25 or something. Not that 10 oz makes that much difference in extra fuel...but it might! What I need to do is once I get the P120 installed just fly a bunch with the 125oz tank that I have now and see what I'm averaging for fuel burn/fuel remaining, then see if the fuel/smoke tank is even an option.
LOL... me too.. thats why I just stuffed the 14 oz in front in the hole
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Charlie H.
My Feedback: (38)

HI Guys
I'm down to programing my radio for the Elan. Trying to program crow on a JR 9503,if I select wing type flaperon , the manual says to use the flap channel for one aileron. I want to keep my flaps working too ? Any idea's ?

Thanks
Charlie
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM
kev-o

Set it up with flaps on one channel and ail on two separate channels then you will need to use multi point mixes to dial inn crow at full flap engagement. Do one side at a time and dial it in once you have it set up you can play With the deflection. I'm runnin a p120se on mine and have 107 flights on it it's a blast. I use flight modes so it only comes in in landing mode. I think you can set up felt modes on a 9503.

Hope that helps
Kevin
Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 AM
Xairflyer

You dont use flaperon wing use normal wing, you use the aileron channel (2) for the right aileron and either AUX2,3,4 for the left aileron.
If you use aux2 then you need to first turn it off (INH) in the DeviceSEL screen.
Then go to Wingtype and mate AUX2 with the AIL channel.
The flaps go to ch6 (aux 1) as normal.

Back in the main menu use one of the standard mixes (not point curve mix) to mix FLAP - FPRN
Setup your flap travel and elevator mix in the flap system menu as normal.

As an example on my model my flap-fprn mix is shown below using the mix switch set to pos1 so I can turn it off if I want.

Pos0 0% Pos1 0%
-55% 0%
offset 0
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Charlie H.

Thanks for the help, that did it !

Charlie
Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Colin Allen

Hi all,

I'm swapping the P120SX in my Elan with a P100RX, and I'm thinking the 3.6L fuel tank I have in there now is something of an overkill. Can any of you guys running P100RX's give me an idea of what size fuel tank you are using, and flight times?

Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Charlie H.

Hi
I installed the 125 OZ Kevlar tank from DreamWorks.

Charlie
Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM
cyphur01

I would go with the jet tech Kevlar tank from dreamworks that is split with fuel and smoke. Yes 1 gallon of fuel is overkill for the p100rx. Then you can add smoke with the bus system or leave it dry for lighter weight. Easy as pie.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM
gmccluskey

Can someone tell me which Dreamworks pilot fits this model? Thanks in advance for any help.

George
Old 12-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Charlie H.

I used the 1/7 bust pilot from Dreamworks. Todd and his crew do a great job having what you need in stock most of the time, with fast shipping.

Charlie
Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Justflying1

Hi try this they lokk realy good and this is what i have in my one.

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/pilots-c-126.html

As Charlie H said the 1/7 bust pilot from dream works.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 AM
jblloyd
My Feedback: (17)

Or ... buy a $2 can of silver spray paint and save some money

Name:	Fd91353.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1829903  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.