Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

HOBBYKING - NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

HOBBYKING - NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM
siclick33.
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOBBYKING - NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: siclick33

From Bigplumbs to LittleGrapes[:'(]

Are you running out of ideas for usernames Dennis?
What do you mean a shortage of names. I am confused. How would that happen
Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Note the extra full stop at the end of the username Dennis has created. You sir, are a knob.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM
marc s

have you tried contacting HK via their youtube channel?
have you used the live chat facility on the HK website?
yes and yes, a friend has even gone into HK in USA and raised the issue - the reply was we will get in touch with your friend (me) and guess what nothing, nada, didly squit.

marcs
Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

And the band played on-
Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
marc s

Not sure if the boot was on the other foot Larry you would be so patronising [>:]

marcs
Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: marc s

I was PM'd very soon after my original post with an offer of help so actually its done the trick, now its just turned into the normal debate and I hope it will move off into the archives very soon.

marcs
Sorry...but these are your own words.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM
flourine coated

wonder what "the usual debate" is ?
didnt want to pay return postage?
wanted something for nothing as compensation ?
dont get out much? (sorry i shoudnt poke fun !)
Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Vettster

I think Marc ment that this thread has turned into the usual debate. What I do agree with is that this thread should be left to fade away.

Let it go people..
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 PM
FuzzyDice
My Feedback: (6)

PepperPete well said ! ...........I'm sorry though Idon't know the Canadian national anthem
Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Catalinaflyer

Okay, I'm not going to condone Hobby King or talk about all my orders with them. I am going to give a bit of experience.

First and foremost I support all 3 of my local shops, always have and always will. However having been a fixed wing RC pilot for close to 30 years and a RW helicopter pilot I was bitten by the bug to try my hand at RC helicopters. Years ago I started off with the original little Blade full collective helicopter. What a nightmare and after blowing through over $600 trying to learn to fly I gave up. A few years pass and I was in the LHS, he had one of the Tandem Rescue helicopters out playing with it, I tried my hand and much to my surprise I flew it. It went home with me. Of course a week later I was back purchasing the SR120. As the weeks passed I was buying more and more of the e-flight/blade stuff. Then one day at our local flying field someone was out there with a T-Rex 450 and I was hooked......well till I walked into the local hobby shop and found a tiny little box of parts was over $400.00!!! And that was just the airframe. So I asked the LHS owner for a price for everything and promptly fainted.

Weeks pass, I'm now bored with my blade stuff and looking right here on RCU for a "real" helicopter. I keep coming across all these excellent priced "clones". So I looked up Hobby King and for just over $100.00 shipped from china to my house I had a complete T-Rex 450 clone with all the stuff to put it in the air including a battery pack. (That pack would have cost me more than this entire shipment from my LHS). 

I assemble the little bugger and without any prompting I actually managed to hover it with a lot of help from several people right here on this forum. Now I have to add I still have this original helicopter and have replaced a few of the parts with genuine T-Rex parts to the tune of about $60 worth. It's been 3 years, I still fly that original one and have purchased a few more for other stuff like a 5 blade rotor head with a Hughes 500 body, a camera ship, a spare parts kit, one for each of my boys and a couple for a friend of mine. All total to date we have less wrapped up in all of these than a single T-Rex would have cost with high end radio equipment. Yes, they break, and yes we usually purchase genuine T-Rex replacement parts from the LHS. We have had a couple servos fail, 1 esc but that was due to human error and I have had 1 shipment where I had exceeded the lipo capacity get lost somewhere in Singapore.

Moving on I had a KMP reject 50cc Yak that had sat in the box in my shop for years. I was into this ARF for only $100 and it had never been out of the box. So one day I was browsing HK and decided what the heck, let's put this thing together 100% HK and see what happens. I purchased the 50cc engine from them which turned out to be 55cc when I measured it, servos, regulators, switches and even an Orange brand Futaba receiver. I put the plane together over a couple weeks and took it out, waaaaay out away from humanity for the maiden flight.

That was almost two years ago and just this past Sunday on its 101st full flight the engine finally quit for the very first time but it was on the ground doing a touch and go. Turns out the ignition module had failed do to the spring in the plug cap contacting the cap itself. A $30 part from HK is on its way. I have NEVER touched the needles since the first break in, have never had a dead stick, have yet to have a servo fail or any of the other associated electronics.

Now I have other planes, a 100cc Aeroworks Yak with a DLE, a Great Planes Waco with a OS GT30 as well as numerous other planes all purchased from my LHS's. all equipped with the best Hitech, Futaba, JR stuff, top of the line LHS hardware and so on. However I still have less money tied up in my KMP Reject/HK Yak than just the OS engine cost for the Waco and I fly it EVERY trip to the flying field. Sooner or later something will fail and it will go home in a garbage bag, I know it, I'm accepting of it but I have had well over $500 worth of fun flying it and taking chances close to the ground that I would NEVER have tried with the Aeroworks.

Do I purchase from Hobby King, yes but I purchase 10 times more in dollar value from my LHS. I just went back and looked and as far back as my account goes with Tower I have spent less than $300 total with them so I don't even order from stateside suppliers, I shop local. I had every intention of learning to fly the HK helicopter risking less than $125 then purchasing the real Align stuff but 3 years into it my HK junk is still flying good. When the original one finally goes in for the big crash I'll spend the money to go Align with my LHS but had I not tried getting my feet wet with the HK junk I would have never spent a penny on Align replacement parts from the LHS which has much better margins for the owner than the kit itself and I certainly would have never considered the real Align helicopter.

I would never send someone blindly into the sport with HK. They have a place in my RC budget and because of some of the new doors they have opened for me in trying new aspects of the hobby without risking a larger amount of money I would have never ventured into these new areas and never spent the money with my LHS supporting the new interests. Some people drive Chevy Aveo's and others drive Mercedes Benz, they both get you there.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Vettster

Let it go people..
That's quite an amazing comment, considering the source and quite appropriate on this topic.

For whatever reasons, there's them who's for, them who's against and them who don't care. And that's the way it will stay.

We've all been made aware of the pros, cons and risks.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Vettster

ORIGINAL: do335a

Let it go people..
That's quite an amazing comment, considering the source
Ill try not to take offence to that comment Matt.. even though I know it was intended to be offensive.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

I have bought 3-gas engines from them all arrived on time and ran perfectly. Also bought batteries etc, no problems. The only problem, I ordered a ignition and never received it, got a refund for the ignition and not the shipping in credit. I had to pay shipping for something I never received, dumb. I've ordered since then and been satisfied"I had to use those credits"
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM
TTRotary

Successful businesses get that way by providing an unmet need, or by arbitrage. The latter appiles to HK. They figured out that resellers like Eflite and Thunder Power obtain generic Chinese product, rebrand it, add a bit of QC somewhere along the way, and make a killing reselling it at 4X the cost. They figured they'd be 1/3 as greedy and make up for that with volume. The LHS and the large traditional hobby names (Sig, Horizon, GP, TP etc.) are complicit in creating this situation, and should look in the mirror whenever they seek to apply blame for the existence of HK.

As far as buying from HK, as others have stated, just apply a few precautions: never buy an expensive airframe that can be damaged, always use a credit card, even if you pay with paypal, because the CC is th only one who will fight for you, and always check stock status. HK has their place in the hobby and were brought to you by companies like Thunder Power and Horizon who charge way too much. At least Horizon could at one point claim better customer service. That is just not the case anymore.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:22 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: do335a

Let it go people..
That's quite an amazing comment, considering the source
Ill try not to take offence to that comment Matt.. even though I know it was intended to be offensive.
Not offensive at all trevor. It's good to see you've progressed. Shows you see the situation for what it really is.