Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club Enya

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club Enya

ORIGINAL: rrengineer

I am restoring a 1956 Austin Healey 100 (BN2) and we decided to re-use the old valve springs for a nice smooth 750 RPM idle. It's OK because redline on this old engine is around 5 thousand. Most of the time rpm will be below 3 thousand in normal driving. Not much chance of valve float with used springs because of the low RPM. The new valve springs were too stiff and we felt they would just wear out the rocker shaft sooner causing lower oil pressure. I'm not sure how this applies to Enya four strokes, but new valve train components are probably far cheaper for the Enya than an Austin Healey classic car, so just replacing them when you buy a clapped out Ebay purchase only makes good sense because it is relatively cheap. That being said, I did not replace any of the valve train parts on the rebuild I just did on an Enya .46 four stroke.
Mike MacLean

Oh, very cool car by the way. I had a nice ride in a 3000, jet black, red learther in 1963 going to the Watkins Glen Grand Prix. Electric overdrive on the stick, sweet.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am restoring a 1956 Austin Healey 100 (BN2)...
IMO the most beautiful (affordable ) sports car of the era, closely followed by the MGA.

I bought my first engine (an ETA 29) from a guy who had a Healey 100 back in the late 50's so I blame him for my passion for old sports cars and model engines.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: downunder

I am restoring a 1956 Austin Healey 100 (BN2)...
IMO the most beautiful (affordable ) sports car of the era, closely followed by the MGA.

I bought my first engine (an ETA 29) from a guy who had a Healey 100 back in the late 50's so I blame him for my passion for old sports cars and model engines.

I'd kill for an MGA. Drove one once. I think the engine had it's origins in a British farm tractor. There is something about British sports cars that is magic. Rough, rude, crude and fun. Sorry airplane guys.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Triumphs looked good, but not nearly as beautiful as the MGA....imo. But, I don't miss British carbs or electrical systems!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

British carbs are very simple once you take the time to understand them and Lucas electrics gets a bad rap. Almost all problems related to the electrics can be traced to corrosion in the bullet and sleeve connectors due to dissimilar metals. By brushing copper anti-seize past on the bullets before pushing them into the connectors, you will stop corrosion and a very reliable system. My last restoration the was re-wired over 12 years ago still has had no problems.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Ram Jet

British carbs are very simple once you take the time to understand them and Lucas electrics gets a bad rap. Almost all problems related to the electrics can be traced to corrosion in the bullet and sleeve connectors due to dissimilar metals. By brushing copper anti-seize past on the bullets before pushing them into the connectors, you will stop corrosion and a very reliable system. My last restoration the was re-wired over 12 years ago still has had no problems.

The same could be said of all motorcycles bullet/bayonete connectors regargless of make. I like Radio Shack contact cleaner. I never heard of copper anti-seize, I'll remember that.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Ron's Heliproz south web shop is having a Black Friday sale. Enya #3 plugs for $4.50USD, #4 and #5 are on sale too.

Ronlund.com there is an orange Black Friday button to click on, new customers get 10% off first order.

Just FYI Enyaland.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:58 AM
downunder

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet
I'd kill for an MGA. Drove one once. I think the engine had it's origins in a British farm tractor.
Not the MG, the 4 cylinder Triumph TR's used an engine based on the Ferguson tractor engine. My first proper sports car (after a Singer 9 then an Austin 7 Special) was a TR3A. None of them used a glow plug .
Old 11-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet
I'd kill for an MGA. Drove one once. I think the engine had it's origins in a British farm tractor.
Not the MG, the 4 cylinder Triumph TR's used an engine based on the Ferguson tractor engine. My first proper sports car (after a Singer 9 then an Austin 7 Special) was a TR3A. None of them used a glow plug .
I knew it was one of them.

Bill
Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 AM
mcledan

I have an Enya SS25.  I dont know if it is a BB or not.  The Model number is on the backplate 4301.
Is there some way I can identify which it is?

Thanx
Dan

Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: mcledan

I have an Enya SS25. I dont know if it is a BB or not. The Model number is on the backplate 4301.
Is there some way I can identify which it is?

Thanx
Dan

I can usually tell, if I'm on eBay, by the buldge in the crankcase immediately behind the prop hub. A bushing main bearing engine is quite a bit smaller (less diameter) in that area than a ball bearing crank model. You could simply pull the four screws that hold the crankcase snout and crankshaft to the main crankcase and have a look inside. If you see a caged ball bearing it's a BB, if not it's bushed.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 AM
MikeG4936
My Feedback: (5)

Hey guys. New project for a fellow Enya user/collector/fanatic. I'm using an old Enya 35X-H in the newly released Gaui NX4 helicopter.

This bird is a 30-size nitro helicopter designed around the OS .37, so I'm not expecting it to do any crazy 3D - but it will be interesting to see how the 20+ year old Enya holds up in this usage scenario. I'm hoping it will work well for sport flying and some mild aerobatics. I'll be running a flybarless system to lighten up the head and a governor to keep the headspeed constant.

I'll be sure to get some video of the first flights and post it here for your review. [8D]
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: MikeG4936

Hey guys. New project for a fellow Enya user/collector/fanatic. I'm using an old Enya 35X-H in the newly released Gaui NX4 helicopter.

This bird is a 30-size nitro helicopter designed around the OS .37, so I'm not expecting it to do any crazy 3D - but it will be interesting to see how the 20+ year old Enya holds up in this usage scenario. I'm hoping it will work well for sport flying and some mild aerobatics. I'll be running a flybarless system to lighten up the head and a governor to keep the headspeed constant.

I'll be sure to get some video of the first flights and post it here for your review. [8D]

One thing you can bet your bippy on. The Enya will outlast 3 OSs. I'm installing a new/old stock Enya .40 T.V. in a 30" catamaran. It's a 1975 engine with 1960 technology and built like a brick outhouse. It's going to be a fun, reliable boat to run.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
speed-panzer
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Club Enya.

There are 2 Enya 60X which I bought from the big bay.
The one on the left is a non-ringed one in pretty much used condition, few fins at the cylinder head are partially cracked and bent. The right one is of ringed type, piston, ring and liner look like new parts from overhaul work. Carburetor seems to be the same on both ones.

The cylinder heads are different – the non-ringed 60X has a much more massive head, while the head of the ringed one has less material. Fin height seems to be identical.
On pics 3 and 4 it is visible that the combustion chamber is different, too. The non-ringed 60X has much deeper bowl, resulting in larger chamber volume. The chamber of the ringed 60X is more flat, and together with the reduced head thickness even the glow plug little bit sticks out.

Is this a low compression head on the non-ringed one versus a high-comp head on the ringed engine? So far I thought that Enya made such 2 different heads only for older, smaller engines.

Looking forward to your comments.

Dominik
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61932.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1827262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81114.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1827263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19808.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1827264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37235.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1827265  
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 PM
speed-panzer

Forgot to mention: The cylindrical part of the high-compression head which sticks inside the liner is considerably tapered at its upper part - this being not the case with the low comp head.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: speed-panzer

Hi Club Enya.

The one on the left is a non-ringed one in pretty much used condition, few fins at the cylinder head are partially cracked and bent. The right one is of ringed type, piston, ring and liner look like new parts from overhaul work. Carburetor seems to be the same on both ones.

The cylinder heads are different – the non-ringed 60X has a much more massive head, while the head of the ringed one has less material. Fin height seems to be identical.
On pics 3 and 4 it is visible that the combustion chamber is different, too. The non-ringed 60X has much deeper bowl, resulting in larger chamber volume. The chamber of the ringed 60X is more flat, and together with the reduced head thickness even the glow plug little bit sticks out.

Is this a low compression head on the non-ringed one versus a high-comp head on the ringed engine? So far I thought that Enya made such 2 different heads only for older, smaller engines.

Looking forward to your comments.

Dominik

There's a head gasket on the head on the right, the one with the shallow cumbustion chamber. Maybe an attempt to reduce compression? The head on the right should run a-bit cooler due to recuded surface area. That might be the reason for the shallower combustion chamber - reduced operating temperature and to compensate for increased compression they addd the rather thick head gasket.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 PM
downunder

The cylinder heads are different –
Someone has done some fairly drastic machining on that high compression head which explains why it's thinner than the standard head. Personally I wouldn't use it until I'd carefully checked the squish clearance and actual head volume to determine just what compression it gives. As a guide, I run my 60X at 13.5:1 compression on zero nitro fuel where the standard compression is about 9.5:1.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Ram Jet

The cylinder heads are different –
Someone has done some fairly drastic machining on that high compression head which explains why it's thinner than the standard head. Personally I wouldn't use it until I'd carefully checked the squish clearance and actual head volume to determine just what compression it gives. As a guide, I run my 60X at 13.5:1 compression on zero nitro fuel where the standard compression is about 9.5:1.

l
Looking me closely mate I think you're spot on. I would discard the shallow combustion chamber head or run an additional head gasket AND check piston crown to head clearance with some modeling clay.

Cheers,

bill
Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Bill that guy is a genius!
He has invented a way for you to test out the engine wile at the same time not getting any bills in the mail.

Hi Warlord,

Just to let you know I'm shamelessly stealing your concept for a test stand. If it's patented I'll give you my attorney's name and address. I'm going to use an engine mount made by a fellow in England.

Thank you,

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96551.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1828233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54039.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1828234  
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 AM
speed-panzer

I think you are right - someone made a little bit too much of a machining to that "high comp" head.

A quick email to Mr. Ken Enya solved my problem - a new head is on order and will be shipped soon. Just excellent service.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Ram Jet

I think you are right - someone made a little bit too much of a machining to that ''high comp'' head.

A quick email to Mr. Ken Enya solved my problem - a new head is on order and will be shipped soon. Just excellent service.

Ken's the best. I had lost my Enya files due to a computer problem. I contacted Ken and asked for the PDFs on the 1.55 4C and .46 4C. They were in my inbox inside of 40 minutes.

Bill
Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM
mcledan

ENYA 25 SS

Ramjet:  I pulled the front housing.  I dont think it has BBs.  Am I right or do I have to remover the crank?
I can not figure out how to attach the photo?
Dan

Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ENYA 25 SS

Ramjet: I pulled the front housing. I dont think it has BBs. Am I right or do I have to remover the crank?
Dan

With the prop taken off, its easy to tell if its a BB engine if it has a raised hump right behind the prop driver. (I posted a picture in a reply to your post in the Tach forum). The prop drivers are different between the BB and Bushed engines.

To upload a photo to your post, click the "Click here to upload images and files!" link at the bottom of the reply window. This allows you to upload directly to RCU. If you have a photo host like photobucket, you can click their "IMG" link and paste it to your post.

SS30 BB engine photo showing the raised hump behind the prop driver:

If your engine doesnt have that hump, its a bushing engine.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Ram Jet

ENYA 25 SS

Ramjet: I pulled the front housing. I dont think it has BBs. Am I right or do I have to remover the crank?
Dan

If it had BBs the crank would probably have left the engine with the front crankcase housing. If you sight through the crankshaft hole and see bronze/brass colored bushings she's a plain bearing engine. Please don't think that a plain bearing engine is in any way deficient. It's not at all. Two advantages of a plain bearing engine; 1. you can get lazy about running "after run" oil through your engine because your plain bearing won't rust like caged ball bearings (I just had to replace all of my beraings in my Enya .46 4C), 2. your engine with be a great deal lighter not having to haul around all those extra steel BBs and steel cages.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ENYA 25 SS

Dan

With the prop taken off, its easy to tell if its a BB engine if it has a raised hump right behind the prop driver. (I posted a picture in a reply to your post in the Tach forum). The prop drivers are different between the BB and Bushed engines.

To upload a photo to your post, click the ''Click here to upload images and files!'' link at the bottom of the reply window. This allows you to upload directly to RCU. If you have a photo host like photobucket, you can click their ''IMG'' link and paste it to your post.

SS30 BB engine photo showing the raised hump behind the prop driver:

If your engine doesnt have that hump, its a bushing engine.

Yep, what Sport2 said.

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.