Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Bud can muffler's

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bud can muffler's

Does anyone know if the Bud beer cans are still being sold that make great tuned mufflers? I'm wanting to try a BCM (bud can muffler) on my DLE 20cc. I sure can't find that bud can in the store .... ? Any reason why a mousse can or bud can won't work on a gasser like it works on glow engines?

Thanks - Ernie Misner
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Default RE: Bud can muffler's

They were born over at the ProBro site. Do a search for DLE20 BCM or DLE20 ccp
The bud can may be slightly large for 20cc so the coke can 8.5 oz may be better.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks Mike. Has anyone seen either of these cans in the store lately? Hopefully there'll be some around the holidays...

BTW, BCM = Bud can muffler / CCP = coke can pipe (just terms that are used like MCP = mousse can pipe) Mousse cans started the whole thing years ago. These are all used in conjunction with a Mac's header.

These give results similar to a tuned pipe setup but with a wide torque and rpm range. More power and rpms but not "pipey", good for 3D and aerobatics.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Ernie Misner

Still looking for aluminum Coke cans, 8 oz. Anyone seeing them in the stores?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

The 8.5oz Coke cans show up from time to time at convenience stores and grocery stores/Walmart, but I haven't seen any since summer around here...there's a couple guys on the ProBro site who usually have a supply and are willing to ship the empties
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Ernie Misner

Okay, actually got somewhere by calling Coke USA. (1 800 438 2653) They were able to tell me that there's only one Walgreen's store in my area that carries them. So if you can't find 'em give them a call.

Mine will be going on an OS 55AX with a mac's header. So will be looking for good info on how to mate it to the header, how to mount it to the fuselage, etc. Oh and header length....

Thanks, Ernie
Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Here's thread for ya: [link]http://www.the******************.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30111[/link]

Of COURSE this ninny site won't let me post a link to another forum[:@] Go to the P R O B R O site, and search for the thread on DLE 20 CCP testing...
Old 12-06-2012, 10:23 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Okay, actually got somewhere by calling Coke USA. (1 800 438 2653) They were able to tell me that there's only one Walgreen's store in my area that carries them. So if you can't find 'em give them a call.

Mine will be going on an OS 55AX with a mac's header. So will be looking for good info on how to mate it to the header, how to mount it to the fuselage, etc. Oh and header length....

Thanks, Ernie
Hi Ernie, here's the info that I got from Dave McDonald and it works great on my 55's;

1) The total header tube length needs to be 9" long.
2) Drill a 15/64" hole in the can cap for the exhaust outlet, then screw it back on the bottle.
3) Use an OS type F plug.
4) I used an awl to poke a hole in the side of the bottle, just big enough so I could jam my pressure / vent line in it and it would not pull out. Don't make the hole too big.

If the power boost kicks in and out right at the vertical hover throttle setting, try extending the header length another 1/4".

Avoid lengthening your header by adding long silicone header couplers. The header needs to be metal so the walls can't flex in and out like a long silicone coupler will do. Flex will cause unwanted throttle behavior. You can of course use silicone couplers to join the lengths of aluminum header tube.

You can tie-wrap the can cap to the plane. On one of my profiles, I just let the can dangle around. It's up to you. Dave screwed a plastic landing gear strap to the bottom of his wing and tied it in with a rubber o-ring around the can cap.

I lurk here on RCU and haven't posted for a while. Many years ago, I moderated here and my user name was RCU, then we changed it to my name when the site got sold. I'm on the ProBro site a lot. Let me or Dave know if you have any questions.

JW
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Ernie Misner

Excellent info John. Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out for us. Keep in mind this is for the 55AX. If anyone does want to real all 11 pages of the CCM thread at ProBro (the above link does't work without modification) just to to The Profile Brotherhood < Engines< CCM (coke can muffler) thread. It's fun reading and thanks to Dave McDonald and all the Bro's who put in their hard work and testing. All you need to make your own tuned system for 3D, not racing, is a mac's header, mousse can or better yet this coke can, and some coupler material. Dave pointed out that you can get the high temp silicone coupler material at McMaster Carr petty reasonable. Just type in high temp silicone tubing and it will take you to the page.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:15 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Ernie Misner

BTW - although the subject line is Bud can mufflers, turns out they are too big for the 55AX, the 8.5 oz. Coke can is just right.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM
John Wells

ORIGINAL: Dave pointed out that you can get the high temp silicone coupler material at McMaster Carr petty reasonable. Just type in high temp silicone tubing and it will take you to the page.
I had no idea it could be purchased anywhere other than the LHS. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:41 PM
John Wells

ORIGINAL: Dave pointed out that you can get the high temp silicone coupler material at McMaster Carr petty reasonable. Just type in high temp silicone tubing and it will take you to the page.
I had no idea it could be purchased anywhere other than the LHS. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Ernie Misner

You can get it from Mac's Products too but more expensive. At Mc. Carr you can get it in many sizes and thicknesses, as well as 3 grades of softness! While you're there look for high temp teflon tubing too.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree!! I used the full Bud Light bottle on my 55's until I could find the Coke 8.5's. I have to say, the ONLY difference I noticed was the bigger bottle made starting the engine a tad more difficult. It seemed like the bottle had to fill up with muffler pressure before the engine would lite off!!

Transition at mid range was the same....smoother than the stock muffler, and I got the same RPM's with both cans!!!

If you can't get the Coke bottles, don't be afraid to try the Bud!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks, good to know the bud can works good too. Most of Dave McDonalds testing wound up with the coke can. I think the larger bud can would look better on a 60 size plane perhaps.