Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Saito 4 stroke

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Saito 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Iherling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 4 stroke

I have a wonderful Saito 4 stroke engine, I think it is a 25. It was in a small trainer that I have had for ages and crashed the other day in high wind. I am looking for suggestions for an ARF or Kit that I could put the engine into. I want to go above trainer level with the new build
Any suggestions
thanks
Irvin
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Saito 4 stroke

In kits Tower still has the Taylor Craft that would be a great fit. House of Balsa still cuts some very nice kits for it.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cute little thing Eh

Most likely what you have is the Saito 30, I have a new one but have not gotten around to using it yet. I have a thought for you, there actually is a vast selection of new and exciting aircraft out there particularly ARF's that are just ideal for the little guy but they just don,t realize that yet!

I am talking about electrics. The conversions are not that hard with a bit of common sense in selection of the airplane and the conversion.

I consider the plethora of electics that are attempting to repopulate the earth a gold mine for some old die hard glow flyers. Of course I admit to have some eccentricitys as I have also been know to convert some RC ships to controlline [X(]

John
Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Iherling

John,
any specifics that come to mind?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Gray Beard

Look at the planes offered by Tower and they will say GP/Electric or just El? The better electrics are built so light they can't handle the vibration of a glow engine and the air frame would be too stressed. There is a pretty good selection I have seen offered this way in the Tower catalog.
There was an article written in one of the magazines last year, an interview with the designer/owner of one of the electric ARF manufactures and the question was asked if they were planing on building one of there planes for either or. He stated no because of the problems with designing them strong enough to handle the glow engines, it added too much weight for the 3-D planes they designed for electric.
Just pull up Towers site and enjoy looking for one that you would like, I just forgot about them. I have converted a few of the glow planes to electric {kits} but haven't gone the other way. If you look on the forum header bar I think there is a forum just for conversions from electric to glow? It could be the other way around, I have never visited that forum that I recall. A lot of good info on RCU.
John, RC to control line?? That's just wrong!!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fitted a saito 30 to a pheonix rainbow.Very strong airframe and it goes vertical no worries
Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a kit interest you, the Sig LT-25 might be a possibility. It is light weight and flies well with a Saito 30 on the wing and is structurally designed for glow. It is especially a good choice if you enjoy planes that fly on the wing and might seem too large for the .30 but alas it will fly fine with it. I know that a trainer is not what you want so being a kit, the LT-25 can be bashed by removing the dihedral and turning it into a sport plane that will handle wind better.

It is a very easy plane to build and builds quickly and is all balsa with no lite ply, which is a blessing if repairs are ever needed and you would have full size plans to make repairs much easier.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:42 PM
mike109

G'day. I own a Saito FA30 and I also like the Sig LT25. I am currently flying an LT25 with an Enya 36 four stroke and I am sure the Saito 30 would also do well. The LT25 is one of the best flying planes I currently have (and I have about 40). It is, as has already been said, easy to build, tough and easy to repair. But it's best feature is its excellent flying characteristics.

My 30 is currently in a Dynaflite Butterfly. This is a large powered glider. If anything, the 30 is a little too powerful for it.

Mike in Oz
Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Gray Beard

The SIG LT series of planes are great but there is such a bigger selection out there like small war birds, Extras, Edges, Sukhoi and Bipes. It's easy to locate a plane you would like to fly with the small engines. Just let your fingers do the walking for you and pick out something fun. Maybe a PT or Space Walker? Mike mentioned gliders, look at gliders like the Gentle Lady too.