Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

SC8e vs. SC8.2e

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Big Trol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SC8e vs. SC8.2e

Spend the money, you'll be glad you did. No substitute for performance. Also, I'm partial, but, if you can find an SC8e, the only upgrades on the .2e are metal shock bodies, not much of an upgrade. The castle setup is so much better, again, my opinion, but one that seems to be shared by others.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I've kind of settled on an SC10, but still not sure.. The deal for the SC8 would be an SC8.2e, and even that is more than I want to spend for anything electric... An SC8e with the Castle would be another €50 at least.. Is the Reedy motor in the .2e really so bad?

EDIT: just checked, the older SC8e is €70 more..
Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Big Trol

I'm not sure why the extra cost there, here, if you can find one they're the same cost. The difference between the reedy setup and the castle may only be personal preference, maybe the extra cost is the supply thing, maybe the demand for the original. I really haven't seen anything really negative about the .2e except people either think they didn't go far enough with the upgrades and they should have stuck with the original castle setup. It's still an awesome truck as they say "takes a lickin and keeps on tickin". The SC10 is a nice little truck though, have you looked at the team edition, has a lot of the performance upgrades built in for a lot less money than it would cost to bring a stock model up to that level. Just a thought.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:21 PM
HerrSavage

My gut keeps saying SC8.2e, but my brain is saying RC8.2e - more versatile, faster(lighter), smaller(space is limited), still shares lots of parts, could even race it some day if I wanted..

If I'm being honest I kind of hate 10th scale SC's.. - at least watching them race.. The SC10 being a whole new parts sourcing issue too is off-putting. I mean, yeah, RTR it costs less than half. But add in the RPM arms and bumper, and it's more than half. A few other bits here and there and it's up to easily 3/5 the price. Whereas with either the SC8.2e or RC8.2e I really need nothing in terms of parts or upgrades, since I have so many 8th scale AE parts laying around..
Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the sc8 or rc8, The power/durabilty/awesomeness of 8 scale cannot be matched with a 1/10
Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Big Trol

I'm trying to decide myself what my next addition will be probably the RC8.2e factory team kit. I love my SCbut there's usualy not enough to make a class at the local tracks although the class is growing it's still hit and miss. I completely agree with you as far as the performance aspects are concerned. And going completely off topic I'm also looking into a1/10 scale 190mm tc of some type, lots of parking lot action here. Too many toys, too many choices. Oh well, another day.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 AM
HerrSavage

I've got an urgent-ish question.

Basically, I am turned off by the SC8.2e, and would prefer to buy the older version. But............., it's no longer available here.

So..., if it's going to be another AE to try something brushless, it's going to be the SC8.2e, or maybe the RC8.2e.

The problem is, most of my huge pile of spare parts is for the older RC8B and SC8.

Crucial for me would be being able to know that I could use all these (NIP) arms and CVD's and diff parts and cups etc... I have an RC8.2, but it's probably first on my list of RC's to sell. I am not happy with AE at the moment, but like the older cars. The RC8.2 is annoying for a few reasons, especially that they made stupid little nit-picky changes like using different length diff cups on the front and back, the stupid rubber O-ring to hold the center drive shafts in, etc..

Anyway, does the SC8.2e completely take over all the changes of the RC8.2, or just the lower towers, shorter shocks, etc? Can I use old arms as spares?...
Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Basically, I am turned off by the SC8.2e, and would prefer to buy the older version. But............., it's no longer available here.

So..., if it's going to be another AE to try something brushless, it's going to be the SC8.2e, or maybe the RC8.2e.

The problem is, most of my huge pile of spare parts is for the older RC8B and SC8.

Crucial for me would be being able to know that I could use all these (NIP) arms and CVD's and diff parts and cups etc... I have an RC8.2, but it's probably first on my list of RC's to sell. I am not happy with AE at the moment, but like the older cars. The RC8.2 is annoying for a few reasons, especially that they made stupid little nit-picky changes like using different length diff cups on the front and back, the stupid rubber O-ring to hold the center drive shafts in, etc..

Anyway, does the SC8.2e completely take over all the changes of the RC8.2, or just the lower towers, shorter shocks, etc? Can I use old arms as spares?...
hmm sorry I don't really no much of the differences

Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM
theibault

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my RC8.2E. It's used as a basher by myself, no racing. I have beat it up and had no issues. Can't recommend it enough.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM
HerrSavage

Too late...

Nice ride though..
Old 12-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Big Trol

Just a thought, electronics only last just so long. Then you could go any direction you wanted to, castle, whatever, it's an awesome truck. I looked into some of your parts interchangeability, some are, some aren't. I went into a little more detail on one of the other sites.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:50 PM
HerrSavage

Decided against either of the SC8's. If I had a big nice smooth local track, just up the road, and good sunny weather at least eight months of the year, I might have thought differently. But at the local rutty hacked up moonscape tracks I run at, my nitro SC8 pretty much sucks compared to buggy and truggy(even buggy is iffy sometimes..) I love my SC8, but it's basically useless for me on the tracks I run at...

I am also................................ displeased... with AE and the whole direction they went with the RC8.2(which I also have..) The car is not what I was led to believe it would be. It's also annoying because of the spare parts thing..
Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Haddi Taha

Decided against either of the SC8's. If I had a big nice smooth local track, just up the road, and good sunny weather at least eight months of the year, I might have thought differently. But at the local rutty hacked up moonscape tracks I run at, my nitro SC8 pretty much sucks compared to buggy and truggy(even buggy is iffy sometimes..) I love my SC8, but it's basically useless for me on the tracks I run at...

I am also................................ displeased... with AE and the whole direction they went with the RC8.2(which I also have..) The car is not what I was led to believe it would be. It's also annoying because of the spare parts thing..
Other than the spare parts thing, anything else bad about a rc8.2e? I was thinking of trying a 1/8 buggy one day and my first option was a rc8.2e factory team kit

Old 12-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Big Trol

You've obviously given this a lot of thought, you have to go with what works for you for sure. I'm researching an 1/8 scale buggy myself. I've always liked AE but, I agree with you on the .2 editions, which is why I'm looking at all the other brands as well. Our local tracks are very well kept, and even in sunny so cal many of them are indoor. My reason for considering a buggy is performance and competition based. The SC truck class is inccreasing in numbers gradualy. But the buggy class has always been strong. Because of the indoor tracks we race all electric, for obvious reasons. I prefer electric. Oh well, have fun anyway.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:26 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Why dont you get an RC8 off of ebay and convert it to electric? They are pretty cheap, I got one for $120 and the conversion for $50. You might find a converted one on there. I got an SC8E for $170 and a RC8T CE for $150 but had to get a conversion for the T.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: Big Trol

You've obviously given this a lot of thought, you have to go with what works for you for sure. I'm researching an 1/8 scale buggy myself. I've always liked AE but, I agree with you on the .2 editions, which is why I'm looking at all the other brands as well. Our local tracks are very well kept, and even in sunny so cal many of them are indoor. My reason for considering a buggy is performance and competition based. The SC truck class is inccreasing in numbers gradualy. But the buggy class has always been strong. Because of the indoor tracks we race all electric, for obvious reasons. I prefer electric. Oh well, have fun anyway.
I've heard there are better options for racing than the rc8.2e but since I'm a basher and I heard it's tough I still think it's a good option for me. In addition to the face that Associated parts are everywhere locally and online so thats a huge deciding factor for me.

I hear the mugen mbx6 eco and the tekno eb48 are awesome, check them out.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Big Trol

Just chiming in here, whatever I personaly decideto do with my next purchase, it will definately be a kit. Nice thing about them is, most of themthat I've seen come without electronics, so the direction you go is up to you, as far as motor, speed control and servo. The factory team kit issupposed tobe better, with all the upgrades included. But, I haven't heard much about them yet positiveor negative.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:35 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

What I did to my RC8 is change to the longer 3mm or 8.2 chassis and rear center shaft. everything else is RC8 based and it works well for me.

Have you changed to the big bores on your SC8? It does make a difference in handling. I swapped out to the big bores on all but the T because it already had them, you can get those on ebay for a good price, makes a world of difference...