Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

A really small float plane build thread

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

A really small float plane build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: A really small float plane build thread

The small size and configuration really is challenging. the most frustrating thing is the plane is flipping over very easy, spending the time to dry out everything and risking the ESC/Motor getting smoked is really getting old, So far I've been lucky and it all still working.

Issues:

1- I think I should have made the step of the float a little larger,, it's really not breaking plane when it's moving plenty fast over the water. I may try to modify the step area

2- I need to stiffen up the outrigger floats, I think the light wire is bending back too easy and not supporting the wing tip very well, it seams when pressure is applied while turning sharp or on heavy deceleration the tip digs in and the plane flips over way to easy. My fear is the foam tip floats aren't quite buoyant enough also,, I may have to built up a set from Balsa/Monocote, but I'll try and support the wire with Monofilament first

3- High CG, the battery location on the plane make the balance point very high relative to the floats,, this obviously multiplies the issues with the tendency to flip over,, Not much I can do about that other than be super careful.

Here is a typical video of it flipping over,, at least my Son got a kick out of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUXjegHFNUg
Old 07-31-2010, 11:32 PM
scale only 4 me

I'm afraid this is the last post on this water project for a while, that last dunking did in the ESC/Motor, I haven't been able to get it to function since and I have no motivation to buy another to try and work out the bugs.
My assessment is, this isn't the right airframe to go electric with, it's just to hard on the electronics,, If I try again for an electric for the pond, I'll go with a more stable conventional twin float platform.

Oh well, I tried
Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 PM
coriolan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I'm afraid this is the last post on this water project for a while, that last dunking did in the ESC/Motor, I haven't been able to get it to function since and I have no motivation to buy another to try and work out the bugs.
My assessment is, this isn't the right airframe to go electric with, it's just to hard on the electronics,, If I try again for an electric for the pond, I'll go with a more stable conventional twin float platform.

Oh well, I tried
You should try again, this GWS Rufe isn't too bad!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2622

http://youtu.be/NASMtniEsb0
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM
scale only 4 me

Yeah, I saw that video before I built mine,, makes me think how many motors/ESCs did he go through before he got it right

You should buy one and give it a go, I've lost interest
Old 12-08-2012, 06:34 PM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

Fyi, dipping in corrosion X is the only way to go with float plane electronics. There are numerous threads on it, so I won't go into great detail, but I have never lost anything that was dipped before getting wet
Sorry to see your plane didn't work out, the tip floats really like to dig in, probably a little small. The other rufe sure flys nice, but the float looks way too long. Reminds me of a shoe. His tip floats aren't digging in at all though, so there might be some secret to them.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Bill G

I've always wanted to try the Rufe conversion. After this project, you can pick up another Zero kit and build an AR196 conversion. The fuse really isn't too far off, with a bit of reshaping.
The dunkings really do stink. I had this one off the water and in the air, although it was a bit tough handling on the less that still water so I pulled up earlier than I should have. Almost saved it, and with an absolute perfect recovery, I may have been able to. All works after a quick dryout, and have yet to try it again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36707.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1828259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56680.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1828260  
Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM
scale only 4 me

Looks cool Bill,, did you do a buld thread?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: lupy

Fyi, dipping in corrosion X is the only way to go with float plane electronics. There are numerous threads on it, so I won't go into great detail, but I have never lost anything that was dipped before getting wet
Sorry to see your plane didn't work out, the tip floats really like to dig in, probably a little small. The other rufe sure flys nice, but the float looks way too long. Reminds me of a shoe. His tip floats aren't digging in at all though, so there might be some secret to them.

Yes, I've seen the CX threads and actually ordered some a few weeks ago to use in other EP float planes I have, the stuff works well in many aps you'd use WD40 for too.

I may play with it again, the day of that last video, where my kid is laughing at me, it was too choppy, I shouldn't have attempted it that day.

Several things to address
Main Float needs more of a step, and it needs to be sealed with a gloss paint, the water based flat I used just absorbs water like a sponge. I may use 5/8" oz cloth and Water based poly for that.

Tip floats are a issue also, yes,, I don't think they are too small, but I think they need a stiffer wire or need to be braced,, they move around to much and I think they are flexing back, which reduces the angle and then they dig in,, they also need to be glassed so the glide through the water better.

we'll see
Old 12-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'll throw another vote in for CX. In the boating world, it's one of the "go to" items when it comes to waterproofing electronics. We use it in receivers, servos and, in some cases, motors and ESCs. It's very rare a CX treated item will go bad due to a dunking
Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Bill G

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Looks cool Bill,, did you do a buld thread?
Thanks. I think the build thread is on that other ban happy place. Please pardon me for not looking it up, as it brings back bad memories to go there.

I'd like to try that Corrosion X stuff also. The True Value near hear didn't have it, so I got some silicone spray, although I've heard that some people question using pure silicone. I don't use WD anywhere near electronics, after it removed the varnish from the wiring on a doorbell plunger.

I still have the little Guillows Beaver in the car, waiting for a flight. Oh well, one of these days. Probably should just do a snow flight. This one's a really small float plane.

Name:	Yw68116.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1836805  
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 AM
scale only 4 me

Nice Beaver, going to need perfect glass for that little guy

The CX web site says free shipping to select True Value loactions, so I guess you'd order first and pick up there. No one stocks it near me either.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
scale only 4 me

Just sold the Rufe,, no more headaches for me with this one
Old 06-03-2013, 05:52 PM
MIG17
My Feedback: (1)

Rufe part duex

I really like these GWS birds, so it was a no brainer for me to buy this from Scaleonly4me and give it a try. Haven't flown it yet, but here's what it looks like after I filled and painted it up. I also glassed the bottom of the float to help it maybe get it to unstick from the water

Name:	Pn36262.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1888726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87741.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1888727  
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 PM
scale only 4 me