http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ngine-EVOE10GX

Steve
Old 12-07-2012, 09:07 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

I think so too!

I went to the owners manual and found a couple tid-bits that interested me. I'm sure there's also much more for sure! It's 72 pages!

suggested prop after break in 12x6
rod is bushed, so they're asking to run a 20:1 gas/oil mix

I didn't look thoroughly, but didn't see who was supplying the ign. module. They do mention it's smaller to allow use with the planes that the engine is designed to be used on, and set to use from 4.8v to 8.4, mentioning specifically no need for regulation on Life or LiPo to a maximum of 8.4 volts. Sounds like a nice module!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The weight of a 75 and a power of a 46. Sounds good lol
Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 AM
mpascual
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ahicks

I think so too!

I went to the owners manual and found a couple tid-bits that interested me. I'm sure there's also much more for sure! It's 72 pages!

suggested prop after break in 12x6
rod is bushed, so they're asking to run a 20:1 gas/oil mix

I didn't look thoroughly, but didn't see who was supplying the ign. module. They do mention it's smaller to allow use with the planes that the engine is designed to be used on, and set to use from 4.8v to 8.4, mentioning specifically no need for regulation on Life or LiPo to a maximum of 8.4 volts. Sounds like a nice module!
Ignition ? RCEXL A02 module for next generation gas little engines and 4.8-8.4 input voltage , like all A02 new versions.

Best regards
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
kork
My Feedback: (65)

hopefully, reliable, i am looking for a couple engines for my h9 b-25 mitchell.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya know, I wonder why everyone uses a pumped, regulated carb on these small, (under 20cc) gassers? They are obviously much heavier than a glow type carb. Power to weight is an obvious concern with these small gassers, so I think they could save weight by using a simpler carburetor. When these size engines are used as glow engines, everyone works within the constraint of fuel draw weakness with the glow fuel system, and places their fuel tank accordingly. All they would need to do to use a simple glow type carb would be to provide it with very fine thread needles, or longer lower taper needles so the carb wouldn't be so finicky to adjust on gasoline. Someone is likely to say that it wouldn't be safe to use muffler pressure, which might be true. However, crankcase pressure could easily and safely be used.

Seems like except for the ignition coil itself, the ignition system could be made a lot smaller and lighter too....

Funny though, how everything has come full circle, from the old ignition engines, to glow, and now back to ignition. You would think the glow fuel manufacturers would "see the light" and get glow fuel prices under control before they loose their market completely!

AV8TOR
Old 12-07-2012, 12:36 PM
pilotpete2

The CDI ignition is only 3.4 oz. and looks to be quite a bit smaller than the Rcexcel units for CM-6 plugs.
The info regarding the bushed conrod is incorrect. On another forum, two reps from HH jumped in and explained that it was a production change, and that the engine will have German needle bearings on the conrod, they're also testing with less oil in the gas as well The carby is not pumped, just regulated. The manual shows muffler pressure being used to the tank vent line.
I look forward to seeing some reviews of this engine.
Pete
Just realized I had an RCexcel for CM-6 on the bench, 3.6oz. not much of a savings[&o]
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the main limiting factor is the CDI unit can only be made so small so far. The ignition coil is the main limiting factor as to size and how small one can make the engine.  I did have trouble getting all the stuff shoehorned in to fit in a couple of planes using the 9cc gas engine. With my Escapade .40, I had to cram the CDI unit in under the engine on a shelf. So as the planes get smaller with smaller engines it would only become more and more tricky doing it all.

But I can see a .35 or .36 size gas engine being made though. But the problem is whether the electrics have encroached on that engine size and plane size too much yet ot not.  I would think it is still a useable size in this displacement range.

So I think .049 gas engines isn't going to be coming to the flying field anytime soon. The CDI unit being the main problem.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds very interesting.

Karol
Old 12-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Gents,

Thanks for all the interest in the new engine.

1. It does come high quality German needle bearing on the bottom end of the conrod that was, as Craig stated, a late in the process change we made to improve your user experience.
2. The recommended fuel of 20:1 gas/oil is a well tested mixture with years of testing behind it. As we do longer term testing with lower oil quantities we might update the recommendation. With an ABC P/L construction some of the extra oil is used as a lubricant between the piston and the cylinder. We have done some testing with lower quantities of oil with little noticeable increase in power output. Yes - there is a little extra oil on the airplane but not nearly the amount of oil from a glow engine with a 5:1 oil ratio.
3. The engines are currently in our warehouse under going final QA inspection and movement through our system. I expect they will be shipping with 10 days or so.
4. Craig Greening is the designer on the Meridian 10cc airplane and has many flights with this engine in his development of the airplane. The two products were designed concurrently to work together so if you are in the hunt for a great airplane check the Meridian out.
5. The plug is a 1/4-32 sized plug (EVOG10350) that will be available at the same time with the engine.

I hope you enjoy this new offering from Evolution. Please keep sending any questions and comments you have to this forum and we'll do our best to answer them for you.

Pete
Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Pity it was not fitted with a CM-6 plug to significantly reduce plug replacement cost.

Karol
Old 12-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Pete Bergstrom

ORIGINAL: karolh

Pity it was not fitted with a CM-6 plug to significantly reduce plug replacement cost.

Karol
Well maybe, but that would have taken up the entire top of the combustion bowl. Sometimes we do things to enhance performance rather than make something as cheap as possible.

Pete

Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: airraptor

The weight of a 75 and a power of a 46. Sounds good lol
Not if you use the Power Box...... brings the 75 weight to 26.46
Old 12-07-2012, 05:41 PM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Pete,
Thanks for stepping in and informing us of the change. It's certainly going to enhance the engine in my eyes at least! The reason I'm writing though, is to understand why the folks that have spent all this time developing this engine would leave this error in the owners manual - which is posted online? It would only take a second for the right person to go in and update it? It's pretty obvious it's spreading incorrect info about a relatively unknown engine? -Al
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

i really like the looks of this engine. the size,weight and hp are all there. i have a evo 100, 2 stroke and love it. they make a good running engine IMHO. i will buy one in the very near future......RON
Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 PM
MetallicaJunkie

i like the Merdian....looks sexxxy....id be all over this little engine if i could run 32:1 or 40:1........ i run 40:1 in ALL my gassers 20cc on up, and hate to have to lug more than one gas can around
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 PM
TimBle

hope to see that smaller lighter CDI on 30's and 50-60cc engines soon!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

yes i would like to see smaller and lighter cdi boxes too. 3 oz ain't bad. you can use an i bec or u bec i think it's called and run the same battery for ign as for rx power. that saves some weight and space............RON
Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 AM
BadAzzMaxx

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

You would think the glow fuel manufacturers would ''see the light'' and get glow fuel prices under control before they loose their market completely!

AV8TOR
Most any glow engine can be converted to ignition and run on E85 and cost of fuel would be about $8.00 a gallon.

Milton
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

I think the ignition systems could possibly be made lighter by using a remote coil. That might also make packaging/installing in the airplane easier too. The small circuit board could be easily placed somewhere in the smaller models, and the coil perhaps in another location in the model, or out on the firewall, etc. No heavy complete ignition system in a metal box, potted in epoxy.

I have some circuit boards without coil from CH that I use like this, but I use the fairly heavy Zenoah external coil. A smaller, lighter coil, used remotely would be cool....

AV8TOR
Old 12-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Jerry Hicks
My Feedback: (26)

I have a NIB Hangar 9 Alpha 60 on the shelf, been saving it back for the right gas engine. I like to have a trainer around for club events and to introduce folks to the hobby. I talked to my LHS this morning, and he's got some of these engines coming and will hold one back for me. This is a very straight forward airplane to assemble and set up, so I hope to have it ready to go when the engine arrives. I plan on using an old Hallco B106-6 main landing gear (stiffer and wider than stock gear) and a Fultz nose landing gear assembly (more durable). Should be an interesting project...

Old 12-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Pete Bergstrom

Jerry,

You will need a 46 size engine mount for this engine so a little work on the firewall will be needed to mount the engine. I think the engine with a 12-6 or 13-6 prop on it will fly it great. Have fun!

Pete
Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Tailspin

Pete,
Does Horizon or anyone else offer an inverted pitt's style muffler to fit this engine?

Steve
Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Pete Bergstrom

ORIGINAL: Tailspin

Pete,
Does Horizon or anyone else offer an inverted pitt's style muffler to fit this engine?

Steve
Steve,

We don't have an Evolution branded Pitts muffler just yet but Bisson makes a great one that fits fine. BIS05646.

Pete

Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 PM
rtstestpilot

I also would REALLLYY like to see this engine come to fruition but I'm not holding my breath. Magnum, a few years back or so, supposedly was going to come out with the Magnum 52g which was their 52 glow engine converted to gasoline and just like this one, they were taking pre-orders. You eventually got on a list to be notified when they were in stock and I have yet to get notified! Every search I could find on the 52g was very positive including one here on good ole' RCU. Sensing a little hostility? Actually... I have a 1/10 scale B17 that I started about 4 years ago, was going to put 4 - .46 glow engines on her as per specs, and ran across the Magnum gasser probability. To make a long story a little shorter, I tabled the build at the nacelle construction stage with the promise of not haveing to have so much glow goo to wipe off all my hard work. I'd love to have some little gassers to power her so she will remain on the back burner till there are some that are reliable. Meanwhile I continue to work on and fly other larger scale birds. Still crossing my fingers. Todd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.