Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

TOO MUCH POWER?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

TOO MUCH POWER?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOO MUCH POWER?

I built a TR260 French Acrobatic plane about 4 years ago. The fuselage, wing and the tail feathers were all built and I fell ill. It is a 66" WS and calls for a .65 SAITO 4 stroke. Local HS claims that I can use a .45 - 60 2 stoke.
My question is this - is it possible to OVERPOWER a plane.
I have a .61cc ROSSI DF, that was bored out by the MFG to .81 and it has a TUNED PIPE. The way the plane is designed, I'd have to install the ROSSI upside down and run the pipe down the bottom. "DF" is for DUCTED FAN.
The ROSSI motor normally runs at about 27K RPM - and is it ever LOUD! ouch!

As an after thought, I think I might need a way to utilize a HOT-PLUG. I think the entire motor head is enclosed.

If that won't work, I'll just put an EVOLUTION .60 on it.

marwen1
Old 12-09-2012, 01:56 PM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: TOO MUCH POWER?

Try it! You can NEVER have too much power .
Old 12-09-2012, 04:02 PM
jzrf6c

You can only fly as fast as the airframe will allow. Don't loose the wings!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:22 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: marwen1

I built a TR260 French Acrobatic plane about 4 years ago. The fuselage, wing and the tail feathers were all built and I fell ill. It is a 66" WS and calls for a .65 SAITO 4 stroke. Local HS claims that I can use a .45 - 60 2 stoke.
My question is this - is it possible to OVERPOWER a plane.
I have a .61cc ROSSI DF, that was bored out by the MFG to .81 and it has a TUNED PIPE. The way the plane is designed, I'd have to install the ROSSI upside down and run the pipe down the bottom. "DF" is for DUCTED FAN.
The ROSSI motor normally runs at about 27K RPM - and is it ever LOUD! ouch!

As an after thought, I think I might need a way to utilize a HOT-PLUG. I think the entire motor head is enclosed.

If that won't work, I'll just put an EVOLUTION .60 on it.

marwen1

IMO that would be a terrible engine for that airplane. It was designed to make it's power at a very high RPM. To get to that RPM you would have to run a 10X9 or so prop. That prop is not going to work on that airplane. You would be much better off with a .91 4 stroke

Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 PM
marwen1

I kind of thought that might be the case. but then again, I really don't have the desire to use a 4 banger. Just too many parts for things to go wrong. On the other hand, I do like the overall sound of a 4 stroke.

" It was designed to make it's power at a very high RPM. To get to that RPM you would have to run a 10X9 or so prop " (quote)

if I'm not too far wrong, I really won't need that much POWER!.. In essence, I'm simply trying to use what I've got on hand. If I run that beast at only a fraction of what is't capable of, I should be OK. Also, instead of a 2 blade. a 3- bladed prop will give me more torque.

marwen1
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

listen to speedracertrixie
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM
marwen1

OKAY! With all that advise, I guess I'd better think again
marwen1
Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

"trixie" is right, a good 4 stroke 91 would work well, there is little to go wrong with them contrary to what you might have been led to believe. As far as I am concerned they are less problem than most 2 strokes. I have run Rossi's like you were considering
and they are truly difficult at times............(most of the time).
Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: marwen1

I kind of thought that might be the case. but then again, I really don't have the desire to use a 4 banger. Just too many parts for things to go wrong. On the other hand, I do like the overall sound of a 4 stroke.

" It was designed to make it's power at a very high RPM. To get to that RPM you would have to run a 10X9 or so prop " (quote)

if I'm not too far wrong, I really won't need that much POWER!.. In essence, I'm simply trying to use what I've got on hand. If I run that beast at only a fraction of what is't capable of, I should be OK. Also, instead of a 2 blade. a 3- bladed prop will give me more torque.

marwen1
Remember that a 3 blader requires more tork from the engine to turn well without bogging the engine down.

If you are thinking Evolution 60 glow, go for it. A 66" span model would need to be pretty heavy, like 12 pounds, to give you fits. If it comes in at reasonable weight say around 7 pounds or so, the 60 will have ample beans. You didn't say anything about wing area or weight at least not where I read. If you have, please disregard.

The Rossi 81 DF engine will put out about the same HP at full revs as a DLE55, close to 6 hp. Of course it is swinging a small diameter large pitch at high revs where the DLE is swinging much much larger diameter and lower pitch at moderately low rpm. Each is intended for different applications. With the Rossi, you might be able to stretch the pipe and run a bit lower rpm but then again it isn't designed (porting timing) to turn lower revs.

You might want to play with it on the bench and see first hand what it can and can't give you. Plus you will learn its character and its tune habits or manners if you will. Good luck with your project
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Just to clairify, I was not bashing Rossi by any means. in fact for the past 3 years I have been running a Rossi .45 and .61 in a couple warbird race planes. Most of the time I am having to compete with YS 110-120 powered airplanes. My Rossi's hold their own. At to their manners, after I went through the learning curve on tuning, fuel, props, pipe length they have become the most reliable glow engins I have ever owned. I think is 3 years of racing I have had to pick up my starter 6 or 7 times, the rest was bump started. After about 75 heat races I have had maybe 3 DNFs. That being said, I'm sure the .81 is a great engine just poorly suited for a scale aerobatic airplane.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 AM
marwen1

SPEEDRACERNTRIXIE:

This old .61/.81 was a payoff for a job did for a friend her locally. Back about 3-4 years ago he wanted a set of plans for a WWII HENKLE bipe. He wanted a 9 ft WS. so, I printed out 4 pages 36" x 10 ft full size.

He was so impressed he asked me how much $$$ I wanted. I told him that was up to him. He went into his workshop and came back about 15 minutes later and simply said, "GOOD JOB"

I have it on a 60" version of Laddie Mikulasko's FORCE ONE Delta. Using it with a PUSHER PROP - TRI BLADE. It hauls this huge chunk of real estate at over 85 mph. ... and it 's not even full power.

I think I have a photograph of it somewhere on this monster HD. I have a bunch of errands to get done today - being this close to Christmas. I'll try to find it later and post.

Thanks for all the input. keep'em comin

marwen1