Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Renewing a 27 year-old, 17" rc boat, need help!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Renewing a 27 year-old, 17" rc boat, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 AM
huseyinozsut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renewing a 27 year-old, 17" rc boat, need help!

Hi everyone,

I own a 17" 27 year-old Nikko Scale RC Boat. Three years ago it's remote, and receiver died out. Now I plan to re-make it with GPS, compass, wireless cam and stuff.

The thing I need help is propoller and motor choice. Here are some pics:

The original propeller is 30mm. Within the place max diameter of propeller would be 32mm. If I get the propeller closer to the rudder, max diameter of propeller would be 35mm. would Getting my prop. closer to rudder would change many things?

Also I don't know my propeller's pitch. How should I choose my pitch?

I don't know the difference between metal props and plastic ones. Which one I should choose?

The original prop. has three wings. I plan to keep 3 wing prop. deseign. Am I doing right?

Oh, my aim of speed is 10 miles/h speed, if possible.

This boat uses 4 "C" grade and 4 "A" grade batteries. Which makes around 580g only the batteries. I need long range, so I plan to use a big set of lifepo4 batt. (like 9.2ah 6.6V batt.) and keep the weight of the boat same. And I guess the boat's speed was like 3 miles/h max, with the motor seen in the picture. With a brushless, can I reach 10 miles/h? I know this seems too amateur project for most of you; but there is two aims for me:

1) Learn the use of autopilot.
2) Learn the faundementals of making a RC boat
3) Rebuild my oldest toy, which I grew up with and let my children play with it also, offcourse when they are born and grew up a little! :laugh:

If you can help me, I would appriciate much!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Renewing a 27 year-old, 17

In this case, I would ask a moderator to move this thread over to the electric boat forum. They would, more than likely, be able to answer your questions on motors, ESCs and how to get them working with a new, modern radio set
Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Moved
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
BIG22BIRD
My Feedback: (1)

ill chime in.
it will be tough to make a real performance boat with this hull,especially the big prop/drive plastic wedge system on the bottom. i did have one of these before and i cut off the bottom to make it flat, put duct tape on the bottom and fiber glassed the inside peeled off the duct tape.sanded and painted. then i made it a surface drive and made up my own rudder. i would also have to say, this boat is not the boat to learn about props for performance. dont want to ruin your project, this is what i learned from my build. i had some fun with mine, but not as much as i hoped after hours of work. i used a traxxas slash simple waterproof esc and an old Tamiya can motor.(stuff i had lying around) prop was the stock rubber flexible one. if the boat wasn't so top heavy im sure it would have been more fun.. hope that gives you some idea. sorry i dont have the pictures anymore.

if you are looking for a simple drive system, use the stock motor and a cheap esc. it would be way less mods, and im sure it will work.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 PM
yellow-bird

Hi

Can you add a picture showing the motor fitted inside the boat?

It looks like you have a geared drive instead of direct drive but I'm not certain. This will also decide what kind of propellor you need as well.

A 380 sized brushed motor may fit in the original mounting place and will give some more speed cheaply - these also use low cost brushed motor ESCs.

If you can show some details of the inside I can give you some more suggestions.

-yellow-bird