Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

A day that will live in infamy ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

A day that will live in infamy ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 AM
no12skyline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A day that will live in infamy ?

Word of fairness - if you don't want to be blamed or discriminated for something that your old man, or his old man did, maybe its fairer to hold the Japanese and Germans back then accountable for starting it all, not the Japanese and Germans of today.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 AM
1sgt

In retrospec. They both won the war, at least the manufacuring war. We decimated there industrial complex. Basically reduced it to smoldering bricks.
After the war through the 50's and 60's, we ( the US ) rebuilt their industial infanstructure. They now had up to date factories , steel mills etc. Meanwhile, the US still relied on it's plants built in the late and 1800's and early 1900's to produce there wares. Well with the modern plants that our past enemies received cutosey of the US ( look up the Marshal Plan )They were able to produce the same things at a much lowere price. The rust belt through Pennselvania and the auto indusrty are just examples..
So if you look at it that way. in the long run, they still won. How prophetic ???

Jim
Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM
luvtoav8

As far as I am concerned WW II started in the early 1930's when Japan invaded China. Not when Germany invaded Poland in 1939 or when we were stabbed in the back at Pearl Harbor in 1941. Germany warmed up for war in Spain, Italy
After studying history in more depth, I've come to question the common narrative that Germany's invasion of Poland was the cause of WWII when I learned that our ally, the Soviet Union, invaded Poland from the east at the same time in a coordinated attack with the Reich. I've concluded that when one looks for the cause of something that we should always consider who benefited from what happened.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mustclime

Dec 7 was a good way to get rid of those dumb old battleships, funny how none of the carriers were there isn't it....when you really read into the history, japan didn't have a choice. What would the USA do if someone cut off our oil?....that's what we did to japan. People forget that stuff...kinda like the Lusataina that was directed to sail into an area that was known to have a U-boat operation in it......people forget and people are to lazy to really try to understand history from both sides of a war.

rip, those sailors/troops that paid the price. I never forget december 7th.
The carriers were delivering planes to the mariens on Midway and Wake Island. The reason we embargoed japan is because they had invaded China killing milions.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hello Everyone

We are still collecting signatures to help us save the runway at historical Ford Island please take a look.

http://www.change.org/petitions/reme...-island-runway

"Ford Island is the only Aviation Battlefield in America. It was ground zero on December 7, 1941 when Imperial Japanese Navy forces attacked without warning, an act that brought America into World War II. The Ford Island Runway and the iconic red & white Control Tower, as seen in the movie Pearl Harbor, survived that date which lives in infamy, and were designated as National Historic Landmarks in 1964. The National Trust for Historic Preservation named Ford Island one of 11 "Most Endangered Historic Places" in 2001.
The US Navy now plans to cover the 300 foot x 4,000 foot runway with 60,000 black photovoltaic panels and surround this historic space with a 7 foot high fence."
Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Signed.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM
EOT

Signed
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 PM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: 1sgt

This has brought wet eyes to an Old 1SG. God bless Lt Harris and the French.

Jim
From what I can tell, Mrs. Harris was totaly unaware of the sacrifices and honors of the Villiage of Les Ventes to her deceased hero husband until 2005. A delay of 60 years to finding valued relationships and closure. She had a "Family" in France she didn't even know about. How many others are caught in limbo like this???

PS To the RC flyboys that have visited our tank forum...petition signed. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 AM
wbrents
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: thecommander

On behalf of all the NEAD guys I want to thank all our Vets and those still serving. THANK YOU!!!

I still HATE Japanese cars and cringe everytime I see a Misubishi. If a friend visits I will not let them park it in my driveway. I can't let go of that.

Good for you, "thecommander." I am OK with Japanese cars and some products, like the great Enya engine. But I can still not build or own a model of a Japanese tank or airplane. Not something logical, I know, just something that sticks in my craw.

My reservist father had already been called up, and I was 12 years old when Pearl Harbor happened, so I was a little too young to serve in that War, even toward the end. But I was just the right age when the Korean thing came along..... US Air Force.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 AM
straitnickel

Dec 7 was a good way to get rid of those dumb old battleships, funny how none of the carriers were there isn't it....when you really read into the history, japan didn't have a choice. What would the USA do if someone cut off our oil?....that's what we did to japan. People forget that stuff...kinda like the Lusataina that was directed to sail into an area that was known to have a U-boat operation in it......people forget and people are to lazy to really try to understand history from both sides of a war.

I hear ya mustclime,
It makes me wonder if anybody has the whole truth. Without it, the right decision is impossiable to make. I've been lookin at history for awhile and the more I know the more I know I don't know. I was always told the truth is ugly and I find that to be so. And by the way I'll never forget "A Few Good Men" when Nickelson says, you can't handle the truth! , whas there ever a line put in it's place!?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 AM
straitnickel

I hear ya mustclime,
It makes me wonder if anybody has the whole truth. Without it, the right decision is impossiable to make. I've been lookin at history for awhile and the more I know the more I know I don't know. I was always told the truth is ugly and I find that to be so. And by the way I'll never forget "A Few Good Men" when Nickelson says, you can't handle the truth! , whas there ever a line put in it's place!?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

ORIGINAL: Strato50

Canada just completely scrapped our plans to buy them. Overpriced and really unnecessary for this country. We manage to maintain 77 F-18s in service. What do we expect to 'defend' with 77 planes?

We could buy ~1000 rocket armed gyrocopters for the same amount of money, and spend twenty bucks a month on maintenance. Better idea IMO

Hehe.

Also, I completely forgot it was Dec 7 :\ Slept all day!
What is there to defend in Canada? [img][/img]
Canada supplies more Oil to the US then any Middle East country, and values freedom. God keep our land, Glorious and free. Oh Canada we stand on guard for thee.

I have been real busy lately , but did the hIstory channel run any Pearl Harbour stuff on TV???. I know for D Day the day is full of D Day video. Just curious if they put the same effort into the Pearl Harbour attack.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:38 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

An artical  from avweb ...

earl Harbor Day Recovery: One Wildcat

An FM-2 Wildcat that rolled off the deck of a ship on Dec. 28, 1944, after suffering an engine failure during takeoff, was plucked from Waukegan Harbor on Lake Michigan in Illinois, Friday, reportedly thanks to a donation from 78-year-old pilot Charles Greenhill. The aircraft's pilot, William Edward Forbes, was rescued when the aircraft went into the water more than 60 years ago. He passed away in 2008 at the age of 85. Now, local enthusiasts hope to use the aircraft to encourage development of a museum at a former Naval Air Station museum in nearby Glenview, Ill. But before that, the aircraft will be headed to Greenhill's hangar in Kenosha, Wisc., if only temporarily.

The hangar is only expected to serve as a pit stop on the aircraft's journey. From there it will be moved to the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Fla., for a restoration that could take half a decade. The WWII aircraft's physical retrieval actually began on Sunday, but crews decided to wait until Pearl Harbor Day to remove the plane form the water. The Wildcat has been identified as Bureau Number 57039, which had 1151 hours when it sank in about 200 feet of water. More than 17,000 pilots were trained to fly from carriers on the waters of Lake Michigan during World War II.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 AM
city hunter

Apparently theya re not canadian geese but Canada geese lol. My vet tech gf seems to remind me of it all the time.

I just smite her and say canadian geese anyways lol.

ORIGINAL: strmnd54

We don't need f-35 in canada....
All we need is a squadron of well trained canadian geese ; on an " All-Bran" diet ; to take care of those s**t disturbers around the world ...
Old 12-10-2012, 02:11 PM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: thecommander

Hi Scot, It think you are just a tad off the mark here.

*sigh*....when did Japan invade China?.... 1937....when did the USA cut the oil supplies to japan? July 1941( that would be 4 years later....and just after the Germans kicked butt in Europe)

[/b]
Not to belabor the point, but Japan did invade China in WWI, they always had desires for the mainland.

"Japanese forces quickly occupied German-leased territories in the Far East. On 2 September 1914, Japanese forces landed on China's Shandong Province and surrounded the German settlement at Tsingtao (Kiautschou)."

Appreciate the discussion.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

The carriers were delivering planes to the mariens on Midway and Wake Island. The reason we embargoed japan is because they had invaded China killing milions.
OK, japan invaded china in spring 1937, the oil embargo started in july1941.....what I ask myself is why wait 4 years to shut off japans oil supplies? If you are really interested in really understanding history, step back and look at what was happing in June 1941?
1) June 1st, the Brits loose creat...
2)June 14 U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt order all German assets frozen.
3) Germany invaded the soviet union.....june 22nd

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3526691.stm

4)june 26, Hungary and Finland declare war on russia....

http://www.euronet.nl/users/wilfried/ww2/1941.htm

blah,blah, blah......Bottom line, Roosevelt knew if the USA did not get in the war soon, it would be over....Hitlerwas on a roll, he had tobe stopped butRoosevelt knew that anything shortof sneak attack, the USA would not go towar the way he needed it to. So what does he do????? He shuts off the oil to the third largest navy in the world.............What do think was going to happen? He needed a sneak attack, he got one.

Remember, history is written by the countries that win the war, not the ones that loose it.

jmo....

Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 AM
highrack

I see the F-35 fly almost everyday when I walk to lunch. Very impressive and loud machine.