Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Vintage Citizen Ship radio help

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Vintage Citizen Ship radio help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM
anssec66
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage Citizen Ship radio help

Hello All,
Recently my grandfather handed down his old rc airplanes to me. These things are from the 50's! Pretty neat how they used to fly with the rubber band escapement. I am trying to get everything working again as it did 60 years ago. I am having a hard time finding information on this technology. Any ideas? I am also having a hard time sourcing batteries. Attached is a few pics of what I am working with. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Brad
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34077.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1828734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70612.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1828735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57375.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1828736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78301.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1828737  
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM
rcacro

Default RE: Vintage Citizen Ship radio help

I may be able to help you with some of thisthis. The first picture I assume is the inside ot the model shows 3 different batteries being required which is standard for that vintage of equipment. The first batt box looks like it will hold a single AA battery (1.5 volt). This is needed to light the filament ofthe vacumun tube in the receiver which may be a 6007 Amprex tube. The second lookslike it would the "B" batteryor high voltage plate supply for the vacumun tube It was probably a 22 to 45volt battery which may be hard to find and expensiveat todays prices.Three or four9 volt batteries could be wiredin series to replace it. The third batt box looks like it will hold 2 "C" cellsin series( 3 volts)used to operate the escapment. Likewise,the transmitter usually required an "A" batt of 1.5 volts for the tube(s) filament and a "B" battery(s)ofabout 100 to 135 volts. These are also expensive today.A standard "C" battery could be used for the tube filament andtwelve 9 volt batteries wired in series to replace the "B' required in the transmitter.
You may find that someof the capacitors in boththe receiver and transmittermay have deteriorated and will have to be replaced.

John W.
Scottsdale,Az
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
anssec66

Thank you sir for the info. You are correct with the AA battery and the C battery. I am not sure where I can get a B size battery. Do you have any ideas? I took apart the transmitter and that is where I found that box that used to hold a "Burgess B Radio Battery." Inside the transmitter there are two connectors that look like 9V battery connectors. If you have any info on where I can buy these batteries it would be great. If i cant buy them, then I will do as you suggested and connect in series modern batteries to make the correct voltage.
Thanks,
Brad
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 PM
rcacro

Hi Brad
The connectors in the transmitter that look like those on 9v batteries fitted the 67 volt "B" batteries I hav'nt tryed to find them in 40 + years and don't know if any one makes them anymore. Try a search on the internet. Be careful and make sure any you buy have a current date code or are from atrusted distributor.
Batteries + Batteries had a few similar batteries in stock but they looked too old to be trusted!!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
anssec66

Today I hooked up all the batteries in the transmitter and the receiver. I used the 9v batteries in series to make the correct voltage. I could not get the transmitter to work. I did find the instruction book for the transmitter. I followed the directions with troubleshooting to check voltages around the tube terminals. None of the terminals showed voltage. Do you think I need to go ahead and replace all the capacitors. If so, I was looking at capacitors and frys and found many different types. My parts list shows a 390 MMFD, 470 MMFD, and a 15 MMFD ceramic capacitors. Frys has these size capacitors, but have different choices as in Electrolytic, non polarized and etc. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Brad
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad,

Maybe also this info can be helful if You want to fly with Your radio again:

http://www.singlechannel.co.uk

There has been two articles in the Brittish model magazine RCM & E, Nov and Dec 2012 issues, about the single-channel encoder one can build (or buy ready made from the inventor) that can be used in old vintage single-channelradios.

/Bo
Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad......
Because it has not been mentioned....your receiver is a Babcock Magic Carpet. The matching tramsmitter was a Babcock Magic Wand.
The tube in the receiver certainly is an Amperex 6007 which was a replacement for the original 1AG4 tube.
The difference in the tubes is the 6007 has a much reduced filament current so the 1.5v battery in the plane would last much longer.
Back in the day....this equipment was pretty reliable by comparison to some other stuff....the big problem with this gear today is as mentioned....batteries.
If you are handy with electronics...an inverter/converter can be made to eliminate the 67.5v batteries in the transmitter.
But....I like the 9v battery method just as well. Just keep an eye on the voltage and don't turn it on and play around then expect the batteries to be good when you want to fly.
This is where the converter comes in handy. You can recharge the NiCad battery.
Today I would use a Hyperion A123/LiFe rechargeable battery. I have had great luck with the LiFe batteries from R/C Dude.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM
anssec66

Thanks for all the info. Everybody has been great. I have been busy cleaning the old Fox .15 engine and it looks brand new at this point. I have it sitting in the original box until I am ready to put it back on the airplane. I found the radio tube was cracked and obviously that could be my problem. So, I ordered another one. The part number on the tube itself was RCA 3a4. I Should have it later this week.
My next question is what do I use to tune the radio? Tuning slug of some sort? I cant see into the hole to see what adjusts it.
Any ideas would be great!
Thanks Again,
Brad
Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 PM
rcacro

If you can take a picture of the transmitter chassis, we may be able to identify the component that is used fortuning. Some were tuned by a compression type of capacitor (Small rectangular device with a screw on it) or a slug inside a coil which may have a slot or hex opening in it.

John W.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM
northiceman

I started flying with Citizen-Ship radios in the 60's. I have the same transmitter (the Model FL) and the Model PR-27 receiver. Both work fine. I also have a source for tubes for both if you need it. Did you get the transmitter going? When its working AND tuned properly the filament in the transmitter tube will glow a dim orange color. But you need to tune it according to the instructions you said you have for it to glow.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM
northiceman

I started flying with Citizen-Ship radios in the 60's. I have the same transmitter (the Model FL) and the Model PR-27 receiver. Both work fine. I also have a source for tubes for both if you need it. Did you get the transmitter going? When its working AND tuned properly the filament in the transmitter tube will glow a dim orange color. But you need to tune it according to the instructions you said you have for it to glow.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:21 PM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

The Batteries are still to be had but very expensive and can give you one heck of a shock.