Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Traxxas T-maxx Classic help

Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM
durangokid1997

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas T-maxx Classic help

I'm new to the forums today and would like to ask some questions to see if anyone could help answer them? Well the other day I was given a original Traxxas T-maxx classic with the 2.5 motor, still has all the stock servos in it and the stock reciever. This is my first nitro I have ever had, I have had plenty of electric trucks but no nitro. Ok so here are my questions with it...

1. What upgrades should i do to it?
2. Should I think about taking out the forward reverse gears out of it?
3. Should I consider putting the bigger 3.3 traxxas motor in it? Or even another brand, the traxxas one is all i know should fit
4. What type of servos should i put in it to replace the old stock ones?
5. Im only 15 so im on a budget so anything cheaper would be nice. But also have good durability.
I already have a extra hitec high speed servo and a spectrum receiver. All the answers I get from this would be greatly appreciated. And if you can think of anything else i should do to the truck would be awesome. And if anyone has some extra motors or parts they would sell i might be interested in them? Ill try adding some pictures of the truck at some point soon also.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Traxxas T-maxx Classic help

Replace the servos with the newer Traxxas ones. Other than that you should be fine. Now if you have one that has the short A-arms than you will have to upgrade all of them if you break one...
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Zrock

first upgrade i would do is get a rechargeable battery pack for the veh. puytting a god pack in.. with a good pack increased voltage will make the servo's work better
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Zrock

first upgrade i would do is get a rechargeable battery pack for the veh. puytting a god pack in.. with a good pack increased voltage will make the servo's work better
True, I completely forgot that nitros use a battery back for the electronics..
Old 12-16-2012, 05:33 AM
mjg3

Since its your first nitro I would do the servo and reciever pack upgrade. the ofna 1700 6v 5 cell is what I have in my classic reciver and the traxxas 2075 servos. you say your on a budget, thats a good thing! Im 45 and find myself getting carried away at the lhs or on line with parts / engines that sometimes just sit on the shelf. If this is your first nitro leave the 2.5 and work on getting a good tune on it. The 2.5 is a decent mill for starting out. Then just replace the parts as you break them
Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 PM
nitrorcjunkie

Since you're a newb, I recommend you get to know the rig as it is right now, providing everything works. Replace stuff as you break it ( and you will! ). As you get used to the truck, you will see the need to upgrade this and that. I've had my Maxx for about 6 years or so and still feel the need to change things. That's part of the hobby. A good thing about the Maxx is the aftermarket parts available for it. It's possible to build an entire Maxx without using any TRX parts. That said, start with upgrading the TX/RX and their batteries.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Shadow-D

ORIGINAL: nitrorcjunkie

Since you're a newb, I recommend you get to know the rig as it is right now, providing everything works. Replace stuff as you break it ( and you will! ). As you get used to the truck, you will see the need to upgrade this and that. I've had my Maxx for about 6 years or so and still feel the need to change things. That's part of the hobby. A good thing about the Maxx is the aftermarket parts available for it. It's possible to build an entire Maxx without using any TRX parts. That said, start with upgrading the TX/RX and their batteries.
Iagree 100% with the above.
You can get away with running it as is if you need to but replacing the RX battery pack is a good idea.