Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Home-made parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Ttowntoolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home-made parts

Guys, how many of you have made a home made part as a temporary replacement to keep your stuff going? What did you make or use and how did you use it?

My son got an exceed buggy for next to nothing. It was bent up in front and the dog bones were missing for the front wheels. I took some shorter bones from something else (extra) cut them in half and put sleeves between the halves and tac welded them together. A bit ugly but served the purpose.

Recently destroyed the rear shock tower and diff case on my hyper 7. Tower had the diff case in stock but not the tower, so I used the old pieces as a template and cut my own from flat plate of aluminum.

I recently put Savage wheels and tires on my hyper 7. I did not have any extra hexes to fit the savage wheels so I used 3/8-16 nuts. Just had to drill a hole all the way through for the drive pin. Fit the Savage wheels like a glove.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Home-made parts

I don't bother with temporary, but long term

like my DF-02 the after market aluminum shock tower has a habit of breaking the diff case(and bending), so I used the alum tower as a template, and cut another out of T6 aluminum, and screwed it over the other one to sandwich in the diff case, and prevent it from bending. Did the same to the rear.

Then there was one RC I had for awhile outside the gear box's, electronics, and tracks I made the majority out of aluminum, and plexiglass(dismantled it since)
I also got a chassis I made from when I tried making a 4wd buggy out of a nitro RS4 sitting here that I'm re-purposing into a truck

Only temp fix's I've done usually involve me taking parts I have in my parts bin from other RC's, and modifying them to fit till I could get the legit part.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

nothing major. just a few turn buckles out of all thread and RPM ball cups.
i made a hinge pin out of broken drill bit. i cut it to length and had my dad (who's a machinist) take it to work and cut in the e-clip slots.
i made temporary king pins for a pan car out of all thread and tubing.
i made a mounting plate to put an AE stealth tranny in a kyosho chassis. (a mod i actually reversed a few months later. chassis couldn't handle the power)
ill get creative and do temporary fixes on my cars if they won't effect or damage another part.
what i won't do is ghetto rig or half ass a repair. learned a long time ago that it just leads to a bigger problem and more expense.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Ttowntoolman

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

nothing major. just a few turn buckles out of all thread and RPM ball cups.
i made a hinge pin out of broken drill bit. i cut it to length and had my dad (who's a machinist) take it to work and cut in the e-clip slots.
i made temporary king pins for a pan car out of all thread and tubing.
i made a mounting plate to put an AE stealth tranny in a kyosho chassis. (a mod i actually reversed a few months later. chassis couldn't handle the power)
ill get creative and do temporary fixes on my cars if they won't effect or damage another part.
what i won't do is ghetto rig or half ass a repair. learned a long time ago that it just leads to a bigger problem and more expense.

"Ghetto rig" LMAO....I love it.

That reminds me, I use number drill bits for drive pins in a pinch! Nice and hard.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ohh forgot when I broke a turnbuckle on my .5 CRT I grabbed a long machine screw cut off the end and used that.
funny thing is I STILL use it after 3 years as its held up better than the actual parts

Ghetto riggin is a fun thing to do
Old 12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ive lost a drive pin before...and cut down a body clip to use in its place.

Ive glued a wheel hex into a stripped rim a few times.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

done both too lol
amazing how I forgot that

also just remembered I made body clips out of a paper clip before
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I had plastic epoxied 5 parts of a hub carrier back together and won the A main, which made me feel good. Usually, i repair it with the original parts or i don't repair it at all.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have home made several part over the years. I too have lost several drive pins out of the wheel hexes. I usually replace them with a piece of a hex wrench (allen wrench) cut to the correct length. I will give it a slight bend so it fits tight in the axle. They usually end up being stronger than the stock pins and with the slight bend they don't get lost again.

I have fabricated battery trays, straps, steering links and lots of braces for different cars as well. Fabrication is all part of the fun.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Big Trol

My first rc car was a gold tub RC10, When I got back into RC a couple years ago. I decided to convert my RC10 into an SC truck, I cut a chassis, shock towers and bumpers out of carbon fiber. I stripped all of the suspension parts that I could use bought SC10 hubs so I could convert to hex drive to allow me to run SC wheels and tires. For a motor and ESC I converted to a brushless castle system. I had an MIP trans on my RC10 so that got used also, and its holding up pretty well. It's been great getting back into the hobby.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

My buddy got this multi tool all in one thing and I tried to make some a-arms which worked fine but were crude. Ill post pictures when they are pretty.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:25 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

thanks for reminding me. iv made a couple drive pins. didn't use a body clip though, used the hex wrench that came with the kit.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kid just started running his RC10GT after many years. He lost a rear dog bone and we haven't had time or cash to get a new one. The other day, he told me he was running his truck and I asked if he found that dog bone. He said Nope, I made one out of a brazing rod. Wondering how in the world that was possible, I went to the garage and looked. He took the drive cups and bent the rod around it and through it on both ends (kinda like the end of a heli-coil but one peice) and ran it. I bet it vibrated badly but it worked enough for him to have some fun!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 AM
turok007

i built a alloy chassis for a kyosho many years ago it had a top plate and a separate bumper. i know people do it all the time now but i built mine with only using a junior hacksaw and a manual hand drill. my hands hurt for quite a while after.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Big Trol

How did it work? Do you still have it? Amazing how technology has changed. Saw a starter kit for a 3d printer on another RCsite for the ultimate DIYer.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Big Trol

How did it work? Do you still have it? Amazing how technology has changed. Saw a starter kit for a 3d printer on another RC site for the ultimate DIYer.
outside prototyping parts(or making a piece out of a wax to cast into a mold) the 3d printer wouldn't be that good as the parts are generally very weak, and brittle.
I remember seeing the savage XS when it was prototyped in a pic at a toy fair that had a sign sitting on it saying fragile do not touch
Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a few cvd and wheel pins here in there
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 AM
turok007

i used mine for a big of club racing and bashing. it lasted for a long while and i sold it on. i only built it because my mate said he could do better. lol
Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: turok007

i used mine for a big of club racing and bashing. it lasted for a long while and i sold it on. i only built it because my mate said he could do better. lol
can't argue that reason its an excellent reason to do anything
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Big Trol

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Big Trol

How did it work? Do you still have it? Amazing how technology has changed. Saw a starter kit for a 3d printer on another RCsite for the ultimate DIYer.
outside prototyping parts(or making a piece out of a wax to cast into a mold) the 3d printer wouldn't be that good as the parts are generally very weak, and brittle.
I remember seeing the savage XS when it was prototyped in a pic at a toy fair that had a sign sitting on it saying fragile do not touch
How far off could they be from actualy being able to make serviceable parts on one though. Could be pretty amazing.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 AM
turok007

perhaps in the future they will make some heavy duty machines that could do it.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Big Trol

Would it be the machine, or the material?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

they already do its called a CNC

reason the 3d printer parts are brittle is cause they are pretty much just melting plastic, and depositing it on plastic. Like I said a 3d printer using the wax that is used to make castings probably would work fine (I forgot the type as I haven't cast anything in 15 or so years)
There is also another 3d printer tech that is gonna cut paper, and layer them with glue to make the part that sadly is even stronger than the current plastic ones.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Big Trol

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

they already do its called a CNC

reason the 3d printer parts are brittle is cause they are pretty much just melting plastic, and depositing it on plastic. Like I said a 3d printer using the wax that is used to make castings probably would work fine (I forgot the type as I haven't cast anything in 15 or so years)
There is also another 3d printer tech that is gonna cut paper, and layer them with glue to make the part that sadly is even stronger than the current plastic ones.
My point was, what if they were able to run materials that were comparable to what is used to manufacture commercial grade parts. CNC is a whole different method of manufacturing, isn't it? Has nothing to do with 3D printing. Anyway, just an exercize in what ifs. Thanks for your contributions.