Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

TL01 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM
rtenzo02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TL01 ?

I know the long span setup isnt suppose to change the track width on a TL01. For some reason the front seems alot wider than the rear . Im using the LA front , and LA front c hubs, and adj turnbuckles. On the rear im using the LA's with the stock tl01 rear uprights. Im not sure if thats the problem ? I parked my tl01 for a while and kinda forgot what i was doing with the suspension back then. Now im looking to tune it for drifting. Again, my question is why the front trackwidth seems wider than the rear ? Thanks !
Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: TL01 ?

I've got a feeling that u are ment to use the blue steering knuckles on the front to make the front right again.

Haven't got a part number yet but they are found on the Tamiya CC01 chassis....

Doubble check the wheel offset... Just in case
Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 AM
phmaximus

Ahhh ok I've sused it, it's was blue for the TA02, FF01 and the CC01 and was called a upright with no part number listing, now it's black and called a knuckle and is also used for the TA03.

Tamiya
Part number 50705
Old 12-12-2012, 04:19 AM
phmaximus

I'm a bit of a fan on the good old TL01, cheap, light, simple, and can be very fast.

If ur up for some reading have a sus of this, it's the best TL01 guide I've seen
https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/f...?article-id=11
Old 12-12-2012, 05:31 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: rtenzo02

I know the long span setup isnt suppose to change the track width on a TL01. For some reason the front seems alot wider than the rear . Im using the LA front , and LA front c hubs, and adj turnbuckles. On the rear im using the LA's with the stock tl01 rear uprights. Im not sure if thats the problem ? I parked my tl01 for a while and kinda forgot what i was doing with the suspension back then. Now im looking to tune it for drifting. Again, my question is why the front trackwidth seems wider than the rear ? Thanks !
I think that is the problem. The long arm kit is designed with different hinge points than the stock suspension, so mixing stock and LA parts may throw off the positioning.

phmaximus : He's referring to using Tamiya's Long arm kit available for the tl01(pictured below). This kit gives you an upgrade suspension setup with one piece arms instead of the stock hollow two piecers. As mentioned above, they have different hinge points from the stock ones, so you can't mix and match parts with the stock ones.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 AM
rtenzo02

Aftrr work today I'll take a look at the front , maybe I mounted something wrong on the front susp. See if i can get a puc posted ! Thanks !
Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 AM
rtenzo02

Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 AM
rtenzo02

Ok after researching a lil more looks like i mounted the c hub carrier pieces out to far on the arms, later I'll try mounting them inside the arms, Im not home at the moment but i thought i looked into mounting them inside the arms but there wasnt a hole made for them, I may even have the reversed if thats possible.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I think that is the problem. The long arm kit is designed with different hinge points than the stock suspension, so mixing stock and LA parts may throw off the positioning.

phmaximus : He's referring to using Tamiya's Long arm kit available for the tl01(pictured below). This kit gives you an upgrade suspension setup with one piece arms instead of the stock hollow two piecers. As mentioned above, they have different hinge points from the stock ones, so you can't mix and match parts with the stock ones.
It's all good, I know what he is talking about that's why I recommended for him to get the steering knuckles I mentioned above and even gave a brief history on them. He is only using the the LA Arms, c hubs, and adjustable turn buckles, no mention of the knuckles.
So I assumed he is using the stock wider knuckles found on TL01's with the stock rear uprights and recomended to get the narrower ones
And that photo confirms my suspicion. He is using TL01 knuckles and stock rear uprights. Cant be good for the dog bones to run it like that
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 PM
phmaximus

Here are some pics to get a idea
Here if u look closely u can see the TL01/M03 knuckles hang out more from the hole for the king pin when compared to the CC01/TA02/FF01/TA03 knuckles

But I've got a feeling that The LA rear uprights are wider... And the LA front knuckles are wider that th TA03 ones
Old 12-13-2012, 05:14 AM
The Mad Modder

Ok after researching a lil more looks like i mounted the c hub carrier pieces out to far on the arms, later I'll try mounting them inside the arms, Im not home at the moment but i thought i looked into mounting them inside the arms but there wasnt a hole made for them, I may even have the reversed if thats possible.
No, I think it's the right spot, but the wrong c hubs. If you look in the pics I posted below, the LA set is meant to use a different c hub that sit farther inboard.
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

It's all good, I know what he is talking about that's why I recommended for him to get the steering knuckles I mentioned above and even gave a brief history on them. He is only using the the LA Arms, c hubs, and adjustable turn buckles, no mention of the knuckles.
So I assumed he is using the stock wider knuckles found on TL01's with the stock rear uprights and recomended to get the narrower ones
And that photo confirms my suspicion. He is using TL01 knuckles and stock rear uprights. Cant be good for the dog bones to run it like that
Ah, ok.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 AM
The Mad Modder

TL01 long arm set on wild willy.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:28 PM
phmaximus

So does that mean don't mix and match parts, unless u know what u are doing?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 AM
carakter

Mad Modder - hey that's brilliant! Can you share your Willy conversion over at the Wild Willy Resource thread?
I'm sure my friends there would appreciate your work. [8D]
Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 AM
The Mad Modder

Sure thing.