Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!

Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:10 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!

The mixture is likely the same as most model diesel fuel. Kerosene, castor and ether.  For $160, I think I should go into business.  I have a turret lathe and could make the time for that.  The OS .10 conversion looks interesting.  Around here everyone is going electric for the trucks and buggies at the local track.  They say it is faster and easier.  Things are changing.  I wouldn't have believed anything would be faster than a Novarossi 20 years ago.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 AM
MickMack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!

Sorry meant Methonol not Ethanol.
That Diesel kit looks inviting but for the price I would have to question spending that much, still if it gets it running, it will achieve its purpose.
The problem I see with this  from the looks of it is just requires again another special fuel, which again would just put me in the same place.

Michael.

TRX3.3K

TRAXXAS 3.3 Diesel head assy. including heavy duty connecting rod

Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally I don't give advice unless it's something I've actually tried or learned over the years. That's where I stood with using methylated spirits (ethanol mainly) so I could only pass on what others have said about it. Well today (actually just now) I decided it was time to find out for myself. I mixed a batch (100cc) of fuel with 25% castor and 75% metho. I selected my trusty ST GS45 that I always use for experiments and set it up on the bench. The plug was a Taipan red that I always have in it. Blow me down if it didn't actually start (full throttle) and was running at a fast 4 stroke. I removed plug power and it kept running at virtually the same revs, no audible drop. I started peaking it out and got to a steady 14,300 revs and probably could have got a little more if I'd tried. On normal fuel (75/25), same plug and same 10x6 APC prop I've had that engine totally peaked at 14,600 revs. Colour me amazed . The idle I'm not so sure about because the carb was coming loose and I was having to hold it in place with a finger but it was idling nice and low for several seconds before it stopped. Whether that was an air leak, the mixture or whatever I don't know and didn't feel like annoying the neighbours any more. The only downside I could see was that it was a bit harder to hand start but possibly that's just a matter of learning whatever prime it needs.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 AM
MickMack

Hi Downunder and others, I started this post off on this premis.
When I was a kid I distinctly remember the Racing A and the Castrol M, From memory Racing A (if that is what it was called) was just straight Ethanol and Castrol M was just Castor oil.
Now if you had money or you could get it you could add 5% nitro, and that would make the engine run more reliably, but if you couldn't get it would still run and might just be a bit more of a pain to start.
If you wanted to terminate your engine early you might have added 10% nitro, but people who did so were shunned for their lack of responsibility, there was two schools of thoughts those that said the new OS engines etc could handle the extra nitro and those that said you are ruining your engine, Anyway that is how I remember it all, back 23 years ago!

After trying metho (95%) and castor oil, and not being able to run the Tmaxx engine reliably I can only conclude it really needs Nitro, I think from stated above it runs lower compression and runs higher nitro 20-30 percent in aid of reliability and use frendlyness.

It also will run, being a pain to start!, but trying to idle back it tended to just stop, no matter what air/fuel mixture I worked on.
With a plane wouldd probably be fine as you only go 50-100 percent during flight.

Again as suggested above, I could just shave the head in an aid to increase compression and that may do it.
If it was as simple as sanding with 2000 grit emery paper for half an hour I would probably do it

I should just get some fuel over in a shipping container,,,,, although I think there are dangerous goods, it complicates things for that container.
I did once talk to the petroleum people here about all this but nothing was going to be cheap!

Your not planning a Cruise Boat trip here any time soon?

Mike.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About the only thing I can think of, is to convert a engine to spark ignition and use gasoline/oil in the engine.
Gasoline needs a more lean air to fuel ratio so one might have to use different carburetors to get one that works acceptably.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:53 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I kind of forgot about this thread, but read somewhere about a guy having problems with running Ethanol, until he covered the fins on the motor with cardboard to keep the heat up.  It was running much cooler than with methanol as checked with a IR thermometer or whatever they are called.  He runs it exclusively now, I presume because of the prices where he lives.  Here the methanol isn't too bad.  It wouldn't be a big deal to cover the fins , after all, the fuel is mixed already, and the buggies have giant heatsinks that could be causing the problem.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 PM
abelard

I've ran HEET that's a gas treatment to remove water from gasoline
HEET is methanol at a jacked-up price.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I remember correctly, OS makes a 3.5cc gasoline car engine. I have a vague memory of someone else making one too.
So that might be a good route to go with the car, put in a small gasoline engine.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

I have ran Kleen Strip SLX denatured alcohol (75%)/25% Castor, Methanol (75%)/25% Castor both with a splash of acetone and an OS #6 plug and 10x6 prop on the following engines with excellent results
Rossi R45, OS LA40, OS FP40 and Super Tigre 40 (Made In Italy)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

Why would you buy denatured ethanol for $10 a gallon when you can buy methanol at $3 a gallon?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

I bought a quart of it to test it on my engines before driving 30 miles to get 5 gallons of methanol, and since it worked I bought the 5 gallons for $23. Also the guy who started the post is not able to get methanol, so I figured he can get denatured alcohol (maybe cheaper that what we get it for) and try it.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Max_Power

Why not just try to get someone to mail you a few quarts of fuel (a individual) and a box of cookies or something? Paypal a friend abroad to buy a few quarts (or a gallon and rebottle it to litres) and just mail it to ya? Seems a lot easier than the cruise ship ordeal, lol. Purge the air from the bottles and no one will know its even a liquid without opening it and if they just put a John Doe return address its hard to imagine that anyone could get in trouble and seems likely to me to have as good of chance of getting there as any other parcel? Of course you will only get a quart or two at a time,but is there some other reason this isn't possible? Might cost $25 a liter by the time its shipped, but how much are you spending running around buying cleaners, castor, and importing glow plugs? 2 liters of glow fuel weighs what? 5 lbs bottled?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 AM
MickMack

Problem with sending liquids here is customs on this end tends to open everything in front of you when you receive if they think it is either suspicious or has value. Furthermore I question how smart it is to post something airfreight that has high flammibility.

As I said I have managed to get "medicinal" castor oil sent from the UK. I haven't tried running the car again since giving up after posting this so long ago and pretty much resolved it would only run off nitro without doing silly modificaitons.
As I posted in the beginning there was a time when engines were designed to run with no nitro,,, just off ethanol and castor oil
i haven't tried insulating the head yet......... but my guess is that this won't see perfect reliability which is what is required.

I figured over enough time I would find someone sailing over on a yacht and just get them to take some nitro... Problem with "dangerous" fuels is that it puts a container under another cattegory listing even if there is only.
The obvious thing to me is just fill up the alcohol bottle and put it in your checked in luggage, but like posting dangerous fuels it is still not the right thing to do!!!!!!! Which is why to this point I still haven't done it.
I have spent a bit of time searching the net for this new gas car engine that will work, if soemone can give me a link, I would be keen to go this route, as even if I can get glow fuel, it isn't going to last long anyhow.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:04 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

The Traxxas 3.3 engine does like Nitro. The squish band is pretty large in this engine IIRC. Removing the head shim may help, but it will not have as much power without nitro. I haven't tried running straight FAI fuel in my 3.3's yet, but I will in the spring. I think I measured the Compression ratio to be somewhere in the 10:1 geometric and roughly 8.5:1 trapped. I'd have to double check my notes though.

You might try 87% methanol or denatured alcohol (SLX Kleanstrip brand is 50% methanol I think), 10% oil, and 3% acetone. The acetone might help with starting and idle quality, I think you can use up to 5% before getting detonation. Still need to use as hot a glow plug as you can get your fingers on though. Being an ABC engine, using gasoline is not advised. If the engine is new and not broke in, you will have a hard time getting it broke in without using some nitro, they are really tight usually. Preheating the engine good and hot will vastly improve getting it running.

The Davis Diesel conversion for the 3.3 is a neat idea, but it is expensive and requires the need for special fuel. Your engine will not rev as high and not produce as much horsepower but will make more torque.

I didnt catch it in previous posts, but what Traxxas model car are you using (or trying to...)?

HPI is coming out with a gasoline fueled engine for monster trucks, but the release has been pushed back numerous times now - it was due out fall of 2011, then spring 2012, now ??? Depending on the model you want to put it in, you would likely need a new engine mount as the HPI gasoline engine is 8cc or larger.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 AM
gerryndennis

ORIGINAL: Max_Power

Why not just try to get someone to mail you a few quarts of fuel (a individual) and a box of cookies or something? Paypal a friend abroad to buy a few quarts (or a gallon and rebottle it to litres) and just mail it to ya? Seems a lot easier than the cruise ship ordeal, lol. Purge the air from the bottles and no one will know its even a liquid without opening it and if they just put a John Doe return address its hard to imagine that anyone could get in trouble and seems likely to me to have as good of chance of getting there as any other parcel? Of course you will only get a quart or two at a time,but is there some other reason this isn't possible? Might cost $25 a liter by the time its shipped, but how much are you spending running around buying cleaners, castor, and importing glow plugs? 2 liters of glow fuel weighs what? 5 lbs bottled?
Max Power,

You seem to be encouraging someone to send dangerous goods through the mail, that's incredibly stupid and probably illegal. Actually sending undeclared dangerous goods is definitely illegal.

Have you not seen Air Crash Investigation and the like? Dangerous goods can be sent safely but when idiots circumvent the system pilots and passengers often die. Pardon me if I sound pissed off but I am an airline pilot and I fly in and out of Vanuatu.

I can also assure you that cargo ship captains also have a very dim view of undeclared dangerous goods.

Dave H
Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 AM
gerryndennis

MickMack,

I am an airline pilot and occasionally I fly in and out of Vanuatu. I don't know if I am able to carry dangerous goods as part of my luggage or not (properly packed and certified of course), but if I can I would be happy to pick up some fuel in Brisbane and drop it off at Bauerfield.

If I have to go through a freight forwarder then it would probably be even more expensive than a model shop could send it.

To be honest your best bet would be to find methanol in country somewhere, at least you would be able to make a fuel that runs. The nitro is not essential, a small amount (3-5%) of acetone or petrol in the mix can help apparently.

Let me know if I can help

Dave H
Old 01-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Max_Power

Old 12-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Jim.Thompson

What kind of oil will mix with E85?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:15 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

I believe Klotz Techniplate does.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

I would think you would use the same oil as on straight gasoline? Not sure if the 15% gas would be enough for it to mix or not, but mineral oil is probably better if it will mix.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:20 AM
Jim.Thompson

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I would think you would use the same oil as on straight gasoline? Not sure if the 15% gas would be enough for it to mix or not, but mineral oil is probably better if it will mix.
Not, it does not mix. I did a test with a small sample.
I have found a Shell product that is suitable for Methanol/Ethanol. I think it is "Advance", but not sure. I will check next time I am in town. I saw the product on the shelf, but failed to write it down. My memory is not as good as it used to be.