Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron/Iron Bay F4U Corsair build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron/Iron Bay F4U Corsair build

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM
MarvinLoomis
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Byron/Iron Bay F4U Corsair build

My mistake 4 1/4"
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: MarvinLoomis

Warbird_1, I just looked at my original Byron Corsair instruction manual and it reads the same as what you have posted here. 4 1/2''.
marvin , thanks for confirming that for me , WB_1
Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Warbird 1,

Some thoughts for you to consider. (From pics on post seven.)

- for oil cooler screen, go to local office supply store and buy a small black wire trash can. They are stainless steel and can be cut to size with a dremal cutting wheel. Lasts forever.

- your dummy engine looks very detailed but unfortunatly to small. Take a look on Ziroli website for a larger one. Rocker arms do not really show as they are under the lip of the cowl.

- have you considered filling in the fuselage gull wing chord to strengthen that rib area?
I'd cut a piece of 1/8 ply to fit from the mainspar to the trailing edge. This would "tie" together the top, bottom wing skins and anchor the mainspar all together to distribute loads. But I don't know if that is where your flap servo goes or if you need access through the open rib area.
I'd also do same for the leading edge area but only an inch or so. Kinda like a big "D" shape as it appears you may need some access to the wing spar metal connector area some day to check it. I suggest this as a guy at our club had his corsair wing split at the fiberglass joint at the chord after a very hard landing. Split up to about 1/2 way thru the leading edge intakes/coolers. Trailing edge split too!

- good choice of engines with direct drive G-62 and not the older Byron prop drive, which is lesson learned from the same corsair in our club.

Your build is really lookin great and moving fast.
Good luck and check six for Check6 trying to get his hands on your big Byron.

R, Mike

Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 PM
FireBee

Some pics of how a built up Royal 104" Corsair for reference. A work in progress. Slow progress.

I also note mine has two little alum stubs that anchors the wing tip panels to the main wing spar. Just another approach that the kit designers chose.

On my Byron f-15, I learned to file the sub- spar in the wing panel to accept the set screw. this is also slightly angled so even if it vibrates loose, it will not allow the wing penal to fly off. See bottom spar the slight notch. For this airplane, the set screw came in from the bottom. Last pic is a close up, upside down so you see which way to angle it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47699.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	1830066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59918.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	1830067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52290.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	1830068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14775.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	1830069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46456.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	1830070  
Old 12-15-2012, 05:31 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: FireBee

Warbird 1,

Some thoughts for you to consider. (From pics on post seven.)

- for oil cooler screen, go to local office supply store and buy a small black wire trash can. They are stainless steel and can be cut to size with a dremal cutting wheel. Lasts forever.

- your dummy engine looks very detailed but unfortunatly to small. Take a look on Ziroli website for a larger one. Rocker arms do not really show as they are under the lip of the cowl.

- have you considered filling in the fuselage gull wing chord to strengthen that rib area?
I'd cut a piece of 1/8 ply to fit from the mainspar to the trailing edge. This would ''tie'' together the top, bottom wing skins and anchor the mainspar all together to distribute loads. But I don't know if that is where your flap servo goes or if you need access through the open rib area.
I'd also do same for the leading edge area but only an inch or so. Kinda like a big ''D'' shape as it appears you may need some access to the wing spar metal connector area some day to check it. I suggest this as a guy at our club had his corsair wing split at the fiberglass joint at the chord after a very hard landing. Split up to about 1/2 way thru the leading edge intakes/coolers. Trailing edge split too!

- good choice of engines with direct drive G-62 and not the older Byron prop drive, which is lesson learned from the same corsair in our club.

Your build is really lookin great and moving fast.
Good luck and check six for Check6 trying to get his hands on your big Byron.

R, Mike

mike , the 1/8 rib is unnecessary . as you build the plane everything kinda works towards one goal. on the wing root is a 1/6 ply root cap with 1/4 dowels. they lock the root together and form "for the lack of better terms" a removable root plate. what are you looking at is an unfinished project. there's other parts that are yet to be installed. As far as the dummy engine goes. i'm not showing it in the cowl. it actually fits good other than the engine coil is so far forward i'd have to hack up the dummy so much that it would look like crap. The byron/iron bay corsair was never designed for the byro-drive system . that was only for the p-51 as i recall so who ever used it in the corsair did so on their own.i never liked them because they are extremely inefficient . At the cost of scale they make little power and can only fly a very light plane. if you ever watch the blade tips at full power , they flex forward about 2" .
What corsair was your club member flying when this all happened ?? thanks for the cool idea on cooler screen. i have to go to staples today so i'll check out all the baskets they have. As far as check6 goes LOL he's a little plane stalker rofl !! you know i love ya freddie ! lol I hope to finally get the spars in today so i can move forward. WB_1
This pic is of my first corsair with manfred von richthofen's great nephew.

Name:	Hf99266.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1830145  
Old 12-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Ron,
We go waaaaaaaaay back. I like to think of myself as someone who appreciates superb craftsmanship. That's why I'm first in line for this Corsair. LOL Ron, what is the length of the strut from the axel to the pivot point of your retracts?
Thanks and I'll be in touch.
Fred Check6
Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 AM
FireBee

His corsair was byron but with the prop reduction drive. It flew but lacked the power for large loops or fst passes.
Both he and ateo other top flight F-4us are all flying G62, mezlic 22 *10. Carb fiber prop or 3 blade at 20* 10.
Now they fly eith authority!

His did not have any ply rib on the fuse/ gull wing so thats why i mentioned it

Do yo have a paint scheme picked out yet?

See full scale VF-17 here in va beach. Airshow is May each year.
Http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org
Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 AM
FireBee

Nice picture capturing a once in a lifetime event!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 AM
eaglen2fb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Byron corsair is one of the best kits i built and there quality was very good don't know about Iron bay i have built two of these and can tell you of some issues i have seen first of all the plug in wings use a single 10/32 screw in the fuse spar lock get rid of it and drill in two 10/32 screws in each of the locks for a total of four screw per wing what happens after a while the single bolt tears in the spar and the next thing you know is flapping wings the spar pivots on the single bolt this will stop that, this goes for all byron kits with this type of set up . next don't waste your time unless you planning on putting flaps in i have see so many of these planes tip stall and go in on landing and also makes it land like a ***** cat which will put less stress on the landing gear. the other issue is balanceing this plane there are Two holes to drill in the fuse and do this ! Balance with the Gear Up ! so many i have seen go in on the first flight becuase of this AND you want a 10 Degree Nose down end balance meaning with the gear up balance so the nose of the airplane has a 10 degree nose down attiude. One of the other issues is the counter weights i did not use them and both few just fine another friend of mine put his in and had a major problem they spun in the wing preventing the aileron from makeing its full travel.
Hope this helps you in your build
Good Luck
Old 12-15-2012, 04:14 PM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: Check6

Hey Ron,
We go waaaaaaaaay back. I like to think of myself as someone who appreciates superb craftsmanship. That's why I'm first in line for this Corsair. LOL Ron, what is the length of the strut from the axel to the pivot point of your retracts?
Thanks and I'll be in touch.
Fred Check6
fred , 8 3/8" from pivot bolt to the axle center
Old 12-15-2012, 04:17 PM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: eaglen2fb

Byron corsair is one of the best kits i built and there quality was very good don't know about Iron bay i have built two of these and can tell you of some issues i have seen first of all the plug in wings use a single 10/32 screw in the fuse spar lock get rid of it and drill in two 10/32 screws in each of the locks for a total of four screw per wing what happens after a while the single bolt tears in the spar and the next thing you know is flapping wings the spar pivots on the single bolt this will stop that, this goes for all byron kits with this type of set up . next don't waste your time unless you planning on putting flaps in i have see so many of these planes tip stall and go in on landing and also makes it land like a ***** cat which will put less stress on the landing gear. the other issue is balanceing this plane there are Two holes to drill in the fuse and do this ! Balance with the Gear Up ! so many i have seen go in on the first flight becuase of this AND you want a 10 Degree Nose down end balance meaning with the gear up balance so the nose of the airplane has a 10 degree nose down attiude. One of the other issues is the counter weights i did not use them and both few just fine another friend of mine put his in and had a major problem they spun in the wing preventing the aileron from makeing its full travel.
Hope this helps you in your build
Good Luck
eagle , i also don't use the counter weights. they are old school for under powered servo's with todays radio gear they really aren't necessary . as far as balance goes , i have a rule . nose heavy is always better . i learned this on my at-6 . thanks for the input.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM
warbird_1

My corsair project has come to a halt. i have had several ongoing quality issues with iron bay . the latest is the foam wing cores . i was getting ready to move forward with the wing construction .... as a habit i like to check things out. well i mounted the wings to the plane and got everything centered when i found a 2 degree difference between the two panels. one wing was +1 degree positive incidence and the other was -1 degree incidence. there's no way to correct that . i took the wings off the fuse and taped the two roots together making sure they were aligned and checked them again with the same result . i was able to contact a company that does foam wings and i might have to have them cut me a new set or i'm thinking about just unloading it and the problems. I'm considering some type of legal action . i have had missing parts , wrong parts , crappy parts and the list goes on. i'm just glad byron isn't here to see what his company he worked so hard to build has become . anyone want a corsair? lol
Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Warbird, don't give up now! I can design a new wing for you and have flyingfoam.com cut it. What does the airfoil look like? Dan.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:12 PM
rschaffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, my Corsair had the Byron 3 bladed prop and Sachs 4.2 with Purr-Power muffler. Mike is correct, it wasn't a barn burner, but flew well enough..... Here is a pic on take-off:

Name:	Gd93730.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1831231  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 PM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan

Warbird, don't give up now! I can design a new wing for you and have flyingfoam.com cut it. What does the airfoil look like? Dan.
just called them a bit ago about doing a set of cores . i think i might do that .
Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: rschaffer

Actually, my Corsair had the Byron 3 bladed prop and Sachs 4.2 with Purr-Power muffler. Mike is correct, it wasn't a barn burner, but flew well enough..... Here is a pic on take-off:
very nice. they are good flying birds. i'm thinking about editing and posting to youtube , a video from 1999-20 from kirkwood,NY warbirds meet. that has me in my wonderful 70's looking shorts. gawd ! lol flying my corsair #1
Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Check6

Hey Ron,
Have you checked the incidence on the gull section at the wing root? Maybe they molded that wrong.
Later,
Fred
Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 PM
warbird_1

Hey Ron,
Have you checked the incidence on the gull section at the wing root? Maybe they molded that wrong.
Later,
Fred
Fred , what do you think? i fell out of last years Christmas tree ? LOL !!! ya i did check that and it was right on. defiantly the cores. i taped the two roots together and jigged it up on my bench and double checked it that way too. i told john at IB earlier this year that the cores looked like a third grader cut them. this proves out my concerns . there's a company that will cut some new cores for about 50.00, not bad
Old 12-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Check6

Ron,
I just mentioned that to make you think I actually know what I'm talking about. LOL You can always sell the plane to me at a discount. Just a thought.
Later,
Fred
Old 12-17-2012, 05:04 PM
warbird_1

Ron,
I just mentioned that to make you think I actually know what I'm talking about. LOL You can always sell the plane to me at a discount. Just a thought.
Later,
Fred
lol fred , your awesome !! be good brotha ! hey ... you and your family have a Merry Christmas bud.

i have decided to buy some new cores and continue the build. i can work on the tail group while i get the cores .
Old 12-19-2012, 07:10 AM
warbird_1

here's the start of the tail group. when you start you have to add a 1" x 1/32 balsa strip to the TE . this is a mount-spacer for the 1/32 ply hinge cover plate. you need it to make up the difference as your using 1/16 balsa sheeting . i like to protect the foam areas from over sanding by covering them with tape while sanding. i also used tape to keep the excess glue off the foam that i'm not gluing anything to. makes for a cleaner job.

Name:	Nl30602.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1831899   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45494.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1831900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41483.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1831901  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:19 AM
warbird_1

As you can see i'm gluing the hinge covers and using tape again to keep the extra glue off the areas not being glued at this point.. i also brushed the glue from the center of the wood out towards the edge so i didn't get a build up of glue where the sheeting later butts up to the plate . that scrape piece of 1/16 balsa is a sheeting shim to keep the core parts aligned while the glue dries. I'm gluing with z-poxy finishing resin because of two important reasons. the cure time is slow so i have time to get things where they need to be and second because i'm not a huge fan of contact cements . i have had them come loose and epoxy will hold good. weight is not really a concern as you don't need or use a lot when sheeting. i like to slide the two parts against each other "just a little" to kinda spread the glue against each of the parts after i press them together. the line on the stabs indacate where the second spar location will be.

Name:	Pm35042.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1831915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39095.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1831916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89800.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1831917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29600.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1831918  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:54 AM
warbird_1

here we have the cores being weighted . One very important thing to anyone building one of these birds... i'm adding a small extra stab spar. The method of attaching the stabs to the fuse is not good enough . there has been some stabs blowing off . the problem as i see it is " and i see this omitted from the manual" they say to use epoxy to glue the stabs to the fuse. well epoxy for the most part doesn't bond with polyester resin very good at all .some say that the west system works ok but that's a lot of money for just gluing stabs to a plane. i'm going with aeropoxy or hysol. As far as the spars goes.. regular epoxy is fine. is just the area where the stabs meet the fuse.

Name:	Om34174.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1831929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24666.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1831930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76733.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1831931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47284.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1831932  
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: rschaffer

i would be very interested in seeing some good pictures of the gear doors you did. i was thinking about doing a set for mine.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM
warbird_1

ok , got the extra spar slot cut and the stabs sheeted . i had some time to kill so i cut the rudder center section out. i should have the stabs wrapped up tomorrow . including the leading edge, TE ply etc. anytime i join two sheets together i use the hinge method like i did here with the two rudder sheets. you can really get a nice glue joint that way. i just use thick CA and wet the edges at the same time and you don't get a lot of glue wicking out . i then wipe off excess with a paper towel real quick.

Name:	Yw69253.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1832064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39540.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1832065   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10735.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1832066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65414.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1832067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29269.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1832068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60459.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1832069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93783.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1832070  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.