Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

going gas for the first time.......I think

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

going gas for the first time.......I think

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 AM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going gas for the first time.......I think

Hello all. I just bought a plane on here, (great planes big stick 60) and was thinking of going gas with this one. I'm looking for advice on this as this will be my first gasser. I've found what I think ill need on eBay. Its a nice 15cc. What are the pros/cons of going gas, other than its cheaper for fuel? Thanks for the input. I want to give it a go, but I'm a little afraid because of the extra cost.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:31 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: going gas for the first time.......I think

I don't see any real extra cost. The engine are real close to the same. Fuel much cheaper. Radio the same. Be careful on what engine you buy. Get a off brand and you may have a time getting it to run. Dennis
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: tlojak38

Hello all. I just bought a plane on here, (great planes big stick 60) and was thinking of going gas with this one. I'm looking for advice on this as this will be my first gasser. I've found what I think ill need on eBay. Its a nice 15cc. What are the pros/cons of going gas, other than its cheaper for fuel? Thanks for the input. I want to give it a go, but I'm a little afraid because of the extra cost.
Welcome to gas engines! I bet you'll enjoy the experience.

My only criticism of the project would be the selection of a 15cc engine. Most smaller gassers on the market are from lesser known and Chinese mfgrs. If this is your first gasser experience, I would seriously recommend an engine from a major engine company that has a known marketing group and a solid warranty behind it. I'd probably recommend something like a DLE20 or one of the new OS 22 gassers .... and there are others. In short, you want your first gasser experience to be a good one and not a challenge. Whatever your engine choice, research it before you buy so you know something about its background and the success record others are experiencing.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:15 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First the cons:
You will have to forget about your glow experience alltogether. Gas engines obey their own set of rules.

Once you do that, and did your part of the learning, you will enjoy the pro's of gas engine flight. Like most gas fliers, you will never look back. Not speaking of cost here. fuel is a small part of the money we spend. Gas engines are just a lot more engine for you to enjoy.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:01 PM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

The engine I'm looking at is a rcgf 15. Is that engine any good? Just looking right now. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have converted most of my 90 size and larger over to gasoline. I am using Zenoah, Quadra/ US Engines, CRRC, Ryobi and other chainsaw conversions. Probably next year I will be working on converting some of my 60 size and under over to some of the newer gasoline engines. Evolution is releasing a 10cc gasser for around $200.00.
I try and change out the rings with a new Frank Bowman ring as his rings seem to add more performance to the engines whether the engines are old or new. I am not afraid to try any Chicom engine but I would stay away from the cheaper copies sold by some Chicom retailers.
With the electronic ignitions you have to find a place for the box and the extra battery but you can always put in a regulator for the ignition and install a larger flight battery like a LiFe. Once you get a gasser tuned you hardly ever have to touch it again. If the engine id new or you put a new ring in, use dino oil to break it in and then switch over to synthetic if you want to. You won't get the screaming revs from a gasser like you may get from a 2-stroke but for most the performance is good and the cost savings on fuel will help you get over anything else you miss from the 2&4 stroke glow engines !
The RCGF seems to be a decent engine and I would at the least put in a Bowman ring .
Here is a thread on it:
www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9481727/anchors_9481727/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9481727

Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

We have been using the new version beam mounted RCGF 15cc from AMR Hobbies on a couple of 60 size Big Sticks for some time now and so far they have performed very well.

Karol
Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

You're talking about a Big Stick 60, I have an Ultra Stick 60 that I put a DLE-20 on. Love it!

Paul
Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Why not get the proven DLE-20? The other engine you mentioned might be just fine, but the DLE has lots of users which means lots of help.

David
Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 PM
rexbirk

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

First the cons:

+1 on their own set of rules. I flew glow for 30 years. Gas was a struggle initially for me since fuel systems have their own quirks and mixture adjustment is very different. Once thru that I will not go back. Gas is superior!
You will have to forget about your glow experience alltogether. Gas engines obey their own set of rules.

Once you do that, and did your part of the learning, you will enjoy the pro's of gas engine flight. Like most gas fliers, you will never look back. Not speaking of cost here. fuel is a small part of the money we spend. Gas engines are just a lot more engine for you to enjoy.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:17 PM
rexbirk

Dont know what happened with that quote. I was trying to qoute Pe on his observations. As usual he is right on!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 PM
karolh

ORIGINAL: rexbirk

Dont know what happened with that quote. I was trying to qoute Pe on his observations. As usual he is right on!

Absolutely

Karol
Old 12-21-2012, 01:10 PM
dirtybird

I bought a RCGF 15. It seized on the first run. The roller rod bearings in the crankshaft came off the pin. I was given a new motor from the importer.
It seems to be quite powerful but the vibration is so great the wooden prop I used exploded nearly hitting me.
The carburetor went bad and the importer had to replace that too on the new motor.
The service is great but I havent had too much luck with the motor.
C.F. Lee is selling a gas version of his K&B 60 for less than $200 without the ignition or the Webra carburator
Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is just my opinion, any .60 to ..90 SIZE airplane should use a glow engine.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:32 AM
karolh

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I bought a RCGF 15. It seized on the first run. The roller rod bearings in the crankshaft came off the pin. I was given a new motor from the importer.
It seems to be quite powerful but the vibration is so great the wooden prop I used exploded nearly hitting me.
The carburetor went bad and the importer had to replace that too on the new motor.
C.F. Lee is selling a gas version of his K&B 60 for less than $200 without the ignition or the Webra carburator
Sorry to hear of the problems with your engine, but good that the supplier has stood behind their product. Was the engine the new beam mount type or the older rear mount version. So far the ones in my club are all running good with zero problems.

Karol
Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: WhiteRook

this is just my opinion, any .60 to ..90 SIZE airplane should use a glow engine.
With all due respect, I'm wondering if you also own gas powered planes? My experience has been that once started down the gas powered path, the glow engines start getting dusty/sold....

Or are you saying that gas power is still too heavy for planes in that size range? Guess I can appreciate that thought as well...
Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 AM
karolh

I too was of that opinion until I shoe horned a G23 into my 68" span Goldberg Extra 300 and was pleasantly surprised. Since then I have come to realise that it really depends on the model in question.

Karol
Old 12-22-2012, 12:14 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: karolh

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

Sorry to hear of the problems with your engine, but good that the supplier has stood behind their product. Was the engine the new beam mount type or the older rear mount version. So far the ones in my club are all running good with zero problems.

Karol
It was the beam mount.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:29 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

My first gas plane is Yak 54 120 from Nitroplanes, and the first gas motor I always wanted to buy was DLE20 and I returned the GP Revolver 40 and got me DLE20. No doubt great engine!

All the best to you tlojak

Mody