Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Radial engine in Top Flite Stinson Reliant SR9

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Radial engine in Top Flite Stinson Reliant SR9

Old 12-10-2012, 11:07 AM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radial engine in Top Flite Stinson Reliant SR9

Has anyone looked into fitting a radial (7 or 9cyl) into the Top Flite giant scale Stinson Reliant SR9? The fiberglass cowling has rocker boxes molded for a 9 cyl radial. My friend is building one and wants to put a 7 or 9cyl in the model. and wants to know if anyone has already done it.

thanks,
Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 PM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radial engine in Top Flite Stinson Reliant SR9

Your friend is just going to have to spend $3000.00 and find out. Let us all know how it fits.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 AM
bhall01
My Feedback: (4)

I'm sure that you can get a radial engine that will fit, and have enough power to fly the Stinson. Start with getting a measurement of the inside diameter of the Stinson's cowl, once you know that measurement you'll know how much room you have to work with. Then the 'fun' starts - check the various manufacturers to see what they've got, and in what size most will have the size specifications available. Some manufacturers that Ican think of right off for radials O.S. Max, Saito, Moki, Evolution (from Horizon), Valach, Technopower...... there are others as well, but that's a good start.

Looking for gas or glow? Seems like a lot of the TFStinsons are running 35-45cc gassers...... so perhaps the Evolution 77cc 7-cylinder, if it will fit under the cowl - again, you'll need that cowl IDmeasurement.

Just went through that same basic process for a couple of projects I'm working on a Barth 1/4 scale Waco for one. Really wanted the radial, several would fit, but all were glow - I want a smoke system on the Waco and a glow radial just doesn't produce enough exhaust heat to smoke well. So Iended up going with the new Saito 57cc twin 4-stroke gas engine..... and a dummy radial in front of it. Other upcoming project is a Ziroli 100"Dauntless...... radial would be a good choice as pretty much every Dauntless build I've followed required a fair amount of nose weight with single and twin cylinder gassers..... another consideration for the Stinson - is nose weight likely? If so, the extra weight of most radials would be "useful" weight. Ended up with a Moki 180cc 5-cylinderfor that project..... but not cheap!

So, can it be done? Sure. Just going to take a little measuring and research to see what your options are - let us know if your friend does decide to go with a radial, and how it works out!

Good luck!!

Barry
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I'd like to know more on the saito install on the Barth, let me know how it powers it.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 PM
warbird51

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

Your friend is just going to have to spend $3000.00 and find out. Let us all know how it fits.

thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:42 PM
warbird51

ORIGINAL: bhall01

I'm sure that you can get a radial engine that will fit, and have enough power to fly the Stinson. Start with getting a measurement of the inside diameter of the Stinson's cowl, once you know that measurement you'll know how much room you have to work with. Then the 'fun' starts - check the various manufacturers to see what they've got, and in what size most will have the size specifications available. Some manufacturers that I can think of right off for radials O.S. Max, Saito, Moki, Evolution (from Horizon), Valach, Technopower...... there are others as well, but that's a good start.

Looking for gas or glow? Seems like a lot of the TF Stinsons are running 35-45cc gassers...... so perhaps the Evolution 77cc 7-cylinder, if it will fit under the cowl - again, you'll need that cowl ID measurement.

Just went through that same basic process for a couple of projects I'm working on a Barth 1/4 scale Waco for one. Really wanted the radial, several would fit, but all were glow - I want a smoke system on the Waco and a glow radial just doesn't produce enough exhaust heat to smoke well. So I ended up going with the new Saito 57cc twin 4-stroke gas engine..... and a dummy radial in front of it. Other upcoming project is a Ziroli 100'' Dauntless...... radial would be a good choice as pretty much every Dauntless build I've followed required a fair amount of nose weight with single and twin cylinder gassers..... another consideration for the Stinson - is nose weight likely? If so, the extra weight of most radials would be ''useful'' weight. Ended up with a Moki 180cc 5-cylinder for that project..... but not cheap!

So, can it be done? Sure. Just going to take a little measuring and research to see what your options are - let us know if your friend does decide to go with a radial, and how it works out!

Good luck!!

Barry [img][/img]

thanks for the info. The id of the cowl is 8.75" dia. at 2" back from the leading edge of the cowl. the Evelotion E735 radial dia is 7.3". it will fit, but i think it will not be enough power for thr aircraft. The Evolution E777 is 77cc displacement, but is a larger dia at 9.1" than the cowl. The Technopower 9 cyl. B series 41cc is 7.065" dia. My friend called the mfg. to inquire on the engine. They said several models were built with the engine in the So. Calif. area, but they were underpowered and would barely take off from a grass field.

So, I'm still searching for a solution.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

The two guys I know with the TF Stinson both chose the same engine, the OS 160 twin.
This engine provides scale like (but not super) performance plus a nice exhaust sound.

The 5 cylinder OS & Saito radials that I have heard running don't sound like radials at all
once they are reving fast enough to provide worthwhile power.

I don't think the larger radials will fit. - John.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 PM
warbird51

I have not been able to find any info on the Seidel or Moki radials to see what they have available. It looks like with a cowl rework, that the Evolution E777 7 cyl engine will be the best fit in size and power for the Stinson. Hopefully, Horizon Hobbies will have one on display at the AMA Expo show next month in Ontario, Calif.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

The Seidel engines are not longer made....by Seidel.... But by Evolution (UMS technologies) (which is identical to the Seidel's). my 70CC Seidel (77cc evolution) flies a 30lb FW-190 "ok".. I'd say the 35cc would fly a stinson around "scale like"
Old 03-10-2020, 05:10 AM
pigna

Hi, anyone tried with a Saito FG-60 R3? i'm going to install one in my new Stinson...
Old 07-25-2020, 07:27 AM
keet

Originally Posted by pigna
Hi, anyone tried with a Saito FG-60 R3? i'm going to install one in my new Stinson...
So how did the Saito install and perform? Curious thread.........
Old 07-28-2020, 12:12 PM
pigna

Installed but not yet flown! To keep the prop hub in the center of the cowling, I had to trim it a little bit.