Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/8th scale B-1B

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/8th scale B-1B

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:37 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 1/8th scale B-1B

I completely understand Bob's position. Aside from marketing and PR, which I could care less for, in the end this is an R/C model with lots of time and effort attached to it. You can try to sell it, but you can't just give it away. There's pride involved. You would imagine with so many followers someone would have stepped up and made an offer, but apparently that did not happen so the next step is to salvage what's possible and send it to "AMRAC for storage" (trash it).

About donating to a museum, all sounds pretty romantic, but this project was not meant to be a display model and I understand for Bob not wanting it to end up like that. For all of you who made a donation, well that's just what it is, a donation. Donations were given in good spirit and I guarantee you Bob made this project in good spirits as well, and hopefully he will continue to do so.

Chill back, and let Bob make space in his garage for other projects. He appears to be the only one in the US with a European attitude towards model jets (go big or go home!).

Good luck on your future projects Bob!

David
Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: 1/2 time show

Ok to all you broke dudes out there please stop with the PM's I will not give this B-1 to any body I have a tun of cash in it. I have started taking it apart and not even a call from Obama can save it now

I'm sorry, but considering you solicited donations from people, with T shirts, do those people not perhaps have a say ? I don't know how many people donated or how much was donated, and I realize that the lions share of the money was yours and the time is yours, but after taking donations I think you have a responsibility to the project and the people who helped fund it to at least donate the model to a museum of some sort for display. To just cut it up and put it in a dumpster is a bit of a slap in the face to everyone don't you think? What a shame, just a total waste when it could have been used for something worthwhile still.......

Just my opinion, and perhaps it's not valid since I didn't donate to the project, but I wonder what the opinion's of those who did donate to it are....
I do agree with Jeremy and Seraphim77 on this aspect, if Bob didn't asked for donations even the fact he did send out T-Shirts in return for this project, he has investors involved in it and they do have a say in it, maybe small portion of it but when you ask for people to help you financially on a project and for whatever unforeseen reasons/s it fails, you are obligated to seek what those people have to say and consider what they say/want even though it's at minimal level. If it was all Bob's own investment involved and he did a build TV, even then it's his own project and he could do whatever but i don't think that's the case is now with this project. Plus what a waste of everything in even if Big Bob dose chuck it in dumpster....but something is telling me that he won't do that but time will tell. Now on another note, due to mis-management on Bob's marketing/PR part, i really don't know if in future 2nd B-1B falls into similar position, how many people would want to vouch out to help financially!, my guess is "Not too many"....
Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 AM
dav.ie
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: JeffH

Those that donated weren't promised anything other than a T-shirt, and I assume that was honored.

Personally I love watching BobTV and I love all the latest stuff too, but after over 6 months and a few reminder emails, still no shirt. So for what it is worth, and as a small donation giver, I too think it should be used in a better manner, than simply broken up.

But as many have said, the final decision in Bob's.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bob
forget the na sayer it was a learning projet i aways build one protype before the real one ,put that big sucker on a pole in front of your house lol
U GO DUDE keep building,
Old 01-04-2012, 01:32 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

blow it up with dynamite! lol.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:19 PM
1/2 time show
My Feedback: (78)

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: 1/2 time show

Ok to all you broke dudes out there please stop with the PM's I will not give this B-1 to any body I have a tun of cash in it. I have started taking it apart and not even a call from Obama can save it now

I'm sorry, but considering you solicited donations from people, with T shirts, do those people not perhaps have a say ? I don't know how many people donated or how much was donated, and I realize that the lions share of the money was yours and the time is yours, but after taking donations I think you have a responsibility to the project and the people who helped fund it to at least donate the model to a museum of some sort for display. To just cut it up and put it in a dumpster is a bit of a slap in the face to everyone don't you think? What a shame, just a total waste when it could have been used for something worthwhile still.......

Just my opinion, and perhaps it's not valid since I didn't donate to the project, but I wonder what the opinion's of those who did donate to it are....
I do agree with Jeremy and Seraphim77 on this aspect, if Bob didn't asked for donations even the fact he did send out T-Shirts in return for this project, he has investors involved in it and they do have a say in it, maybe small portion of it but when you ask for people to help you financially on a project and for whatever unforeseen reasons/s it fails, you are obligated to seek what those people have to say and consider what they say/want even though it's at minimal level. If it was all Bob's own investment involved and he did a build TV, even then it's his own project and he could do whatever but i don't think that's the case is now with this project. Plus what a waste of everything in even if Big Bob dose chuck it in dumpster....but something is telling me that he won't do that but time will tell. Now on another note, due to mis-management on Bob's marketing/PR part, i really don't know if in future 2nd B-1B falls into similar position, how many people would want to vouch out to help financially!, my guess is ''Not too many''....
wast of every thing? how about the space your in? Dude you need to get a grip I do not need to ask your or any body else opnion or permision. You have got this all fired up now if you Read the add I am building a new one I dont want any thing inside the B-1 every thing is heavy and over kill. and dad has 2 sets of gear made. and if I want to cut it up or watch it burn and start all over that is my buisness not yours.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 PM
1/2 time show
My Feedback: (78)

Ok now that I got that off my chest im ok now. you guys now the real reason for the videos is not to show what I can do or what I am building. It to help every body learn how to do this stuff. I had tough time my self at first every thing I no I tought myself with a few pointers from butch. I had a hard time at first the guy at the reason store sold me every thing I needed and sent me out the door. There was no youtube or any body to show me how. Now with all the arf.s in the world I feel it a dying art and what to shair what I no

Loser Bob aka B-1 bob
Old 01-04-2012, 02:53 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bob, if it makes you feel better.......I can tell you the story of another fellow modeler by the name of Howard Hughes and his "Hercules". If you think you are a loser, this wold be the Dallas Cowboys of aviation.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:04 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

bob dont let them get u up the tree i am learning a lot just from fiberglassing i use your tricks on rc boats i am thinking of building a mold of my 5' pt boat this spring i am watching your mold making videos over again ,thanks for your video;s rye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZtiC7fkGrc

ps the losers are the ones who buy the arfs and tell people they builded it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36381.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1709826  
Old 01-04-2012, 03:10 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

He had to destroy it as for fear it might fall into chinese hands and they have it for sale in two weeks on their website.

Time to print up a new T shirt Bob!
"I donated to the B1 Bomber and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt....No Free B1 Bomber!"

Good Luck!
Scott
Old 01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob,

Do whatever the hell you want !!!! It belongs to you !!! There is no PETA or Green Peace for model Aviation.. ( Yet ) For the demise though, might you consider dropping it from a crane or off a cliff and film it.. At least then you would have a really cool plane crash on tape !!! Carry on dude !!!! Can't wait for the next one in flight !!!

Danno
Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

I'm not sure how you guys are equating "donation" with "investing"
As stated before, a donation is giving someone something, in this case money, with no expectation of anything in return. People donate for any number of reasons, the main one being that it makes the person feel good he has contributed to something he has an interest in.
An investor is someone who puts money into a venture with the hope that he will receive a financial gain from his investment; of course he could also lose some or all of his money too. His investment also allows him some input into the project and the direction it should take; the greater the investment, the greater the input into the project.
There is no way that anyone who donated can say they "invested" in the project.
I doubt that anyone who contributed money thought they were going to get some money back if the project was successful.
Just because you contributed $20 or $200, that does not give you any input about the project, including how it was built, what size it is or the disposition of the project.
You contributed because the project looked interesting and you felt by contributing you could help the project get done.
Bob didn't ask for donations with the idea that the people who donated would be his partners. The deal was: donate and I'll send you a tee shirt-that's it!
Also, Bob did not run off with the money. He built and completed the B-1 just like said he would. It was his first serious composite model he designed and built and he had a steep learning curve that's he's overcome.
Finally, I still don't understand why some guys are so upset over this. You can't do anything about it, it is Bob's model, so why waste time and energy over something you have no control over?
Oh well.....
BRG,
Jon
Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Seraphim77

I think most people understand the difference between "donations" and "investing" in a true commercial sense. That's not the point here. To use another more appropriate word, people were "supporting" Bob financially to help him in his efforts of completing the first B-1B prototype. To what extent, I have no idea. Yes, beyond a T-shirt, there is technically no obligation he has to his contributors except a simple thank you. We all appreciate his hard work and him taking the time of sharing his journey and techniques with the masses on video...and making it fun for all. If Bob doesn't feel the need to cater to or include his supporters in the mildest sense, in a prototype model that many put money and time in, that of course is his choice. Politically correct or considerate? Probably not, but I don't foresee Bob as the type who wants to run for office. It's not a big deal, but to me its a missed opportunity and waste. I personally wouldn't have handled it the same way. Donating it to a museum or Dyess AFB, for example, makes the most sense...especially since Bob indicated he wants nothing off of it. What a cool way to honor our troops or leave a beautiful piece of art around for others to enjoy. Beyond a potential tax deduction, Bob could also have held out for a buyer to recoup some of the money, but something makes me think its heavy *** was smirking at him in the corner of his garage and Bob couldn't handle it anymore.

Most people aren't reacting to the lack of input, but rather the loss and waste of a perfectly good replica. It's not like it was deformed or a POC. Am I upset? Hardly. It's just sad and tragic...a beautiful model that stands on its own gear...thousands of $$$$$ just chopped up for no good reason. The least he could have done was catapult the $10-20k prototype off a cliff with some dynamite in the bomb bays and relieve some of his frustration in the process while entertaining the rest of us on video.

Once again, Bob can do whatever he wants (of course), but like Props4ever stated, I wouldn't count on many more donations going forward if this is how the money gets used. The prototypes demise is unnecessary. It's like throwing the money into a canister and setting it on fire..."10 minutes at a time."

My hope is that Bob secretly saved it...or offered it to Iran in exchange for our Lockheed Martin RQ-170 Sentinel in return...especially since Obama doesn't seem to care about doing anything about it.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think the plethora of "how to" videos he has posted is worth every red cent. I never even wanted a T-shirt.....

A lot was learned from Bob's videos to help out making this look so good.

Thanks to oNFireGraf-x for making the paint look so good.

Nothing like a REAL Graphics person to make something look nice.

Name:	Qo41434.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1709937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13602.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1709938  
Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 AM
johntjg

Allright, now I have heard everything.

Bob I have been talking to you for a few years now and since I got to meet you at KY Jets it was great you brought the Thud and I brought the Little Thud , and I will never forget your reaction when I asked you about the B-1. You told me in July you was going to destroy it and make a video of it I knew then that there was something deeper into that subject than you was letting out. But In your defense you was very polite to me and told me about how many emails you answer a day about it . The Bomber belongs to he who created it. You introduced me to Paul and Butch and after I assisted you guys in the CG and flight characteristics on the F-105 and I know from experience that I would not want anything I scratch built falling into the hands of someone who is going to copy it and sell it for less. I am still hammering on my 108" Su-47 and I have no intentions of selling one Sharp pencil asked me about it at Ky Jets and I plan on bringing it there . So Bob , keep doing what you believe is right and I know you will get it the way you want it "10 mins at a time" look forward to seeing you at the jet events this year John

Name:	Hf10199.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1710016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58007.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	1710017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78116.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1710018  
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Anyone ever thought that the another big player in the demise/sell of the B1 prototype is b/c of the sheer SIZE of the thing. I mean it appears that Bob is working in little more than a 2 car garage. When you get a model that size AND the PLug/molds as well.. Space fills up quickly. Oh, and he's got all his other models and the 10- F105's he is working on. The poor guy is probably playing twister just to get around his shop!

Do what you want Bob, those who are interested and ready to see this project (and have any sort of realization of what it really takes to make a flying one) realize that the first model is a 50/50 chance on if its going to actually fly or not. And with the size of this thing the chance's of the prototype's success was probably much less due to it being a huge "unknown" in the modeling community..

Keep doing what your doing and enjoy it. Hell, I say make it a chuck glider.. just find a really big mountain to chuck it off of
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Hustler58

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey at least the thread is back at the top! Ha ! Butch
Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM
theb1bman

I haven't keep up up with Bob much lately tell my email blow up but hay if it makes him fell better my B1B mold's went to the trash as well. It's not that I gave up just going to redo it at least his molds are still good and thats where the money is.
If I could get a smaller scale cnc foam plug like Bob did I would consider building a smaller prototype mold that I know Is straight and true to scale and shape like Bobs. I think it would be a good idea to build a smaller one built just like Bobs and fly that first well the fist one would have to be props like mine tell you know you got the CG right then put the EDF's on. I did mine that way to save money and time I know it was going to crash and way crash high dollar EDF's and engine pods.
Just like Bobs I mean the angle of the wings shape of the wings and the shape of his fuse not the scale flaps no bomb bay keep it cheap a simple times are hard

If I could get my hands on a nice plug I would make Bob and Butch as many smaller B1's as they needed for test flights
lot cheaper about 200.00 for the plane and 500 or so for the power set up and servos

Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM
speed lover

I don't see what the problem is here man No point in putting an R/C plane in a museum if it did'nt fly or could'nt fly. It's just a bunch of glass then that has'nt done anything. I've always said it aint no plane till it's been in the air and landed. And anyway Bobs B1 project aint dead it's still a live project just cause some glass got put in the bucket don't mean the project is dead. You all talking like it's all over. If Bob thinks it's a bad airframe and doesn't wanna put it in the air he's probably made a tough and wise decision to kill it there and then. I donated a small amount of money not that, that means anything but I would have done the same thing Bob. I would'nt let someone have the opertunity to copy your work or let it sit in some museum and never fly. Lockhead Martin, Boeing and Cessna all have done the same it's just called development. Part of the project. I gained more than my donation back in the knowledge that Bob has given out alone. Go for it Bob build the new one lighter, stronger more rigid and more efficient. BAAAAAAMMMMM!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Sgt Shay
My Feedback: (4)

Is it done yet....
Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 PM
f20tiger

I hate to say this but it looks like B1Bob and Bobtv are going off the air. There is a post from Bob on youtube that simply says " thanks for watching, I'm out"

Old 12-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Ayrtonsenna

Bam......I mean Dam.....what the...
Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Flynstuff
My Feedback: (29)

He still has the molds, This is where all the $$$$$ are.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:51 AM
Xairflyer

Wonder what happened, his last video showed no sign of a problem, someone must have said something to make him to post that.
Bob we need you back, was looking forward to seeing that turboprop P51 being done.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 AM
kevinthoele

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe the guy hosting the site is done. Maybe to much ban width to expensive just some guesses. I do hope he gets back to the B1 someday. It is a beautiful model and what a story if it were to fly. I for one would make the trip to see it go!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.