Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive pattern/ 3D plane??

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Inexpensive pattern/ 3D plane??

Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM
fun2fly24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive pattern/ 3D plane??

Is there a solid inexpensive pattern plane out there that is cheap enough that if you crash it, its not a big deal because i want to practice my pattern and 3D lower and i know that will lead to a crash eventually.
THanks,
fun2fly24
Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Default RE: Inexpensive pattern/ 3D plane??

Rarely is a great pattern plane also good for 3D. Pick one style and you will be happier for it.
A pattern plane is set up with smaller surfaces moving a smaller amount for precise, smooth control.
3D planes have large surfaces with maximum throws.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Yep two different airplanes’s like thumby said...

Closest thing would maybe be 3DHS viper I own one it's ok but if I wanted a pattern plane I would have to ask myself how deep do I want to go down the pattern’s bunny hole because pattern is expensive ..!! Like a comp arf spark or an even a wood 2m pattern plane is pricey... and the main issue would have is how many patten meet's are in my area and how many could i attend a year... seeing how pattern is kinda dieing off i dunno if i would spend the money on it... sebart has some pattern ships as well i don't htink they are cheap though or small...

If I just wanted to fly around a pattern ship I would look at an orsious or vanquish... but i would weigh heavy on the money i wanted to put into it...

If I wanted pure 3D you probly already know everything that's out there ... if I was just starting out... i'd probly go with a primeo or a something pretty tuff that flys true in the profile planes

on the up side the good thing about pattern dieing off you can find use pattern ship's mostly the old school YS 4 stroke ones... with pipes but if you felt you wanted to deal with that mess you could probly find a used pattern ship ... bad thing is nitro on that YS 170 sux I think its 30 % ? You could be like 8 dollars plus a flight!

Vary rarely do I see the newer electronic pattern ship's at swap meets... And I have yet to see a gas 2m pattern ship...

good luck !!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Smasher12

Really need to choose one or the other other wise you'll just get something that's sorda ok at both and more than likely you'll be disapointed. Personally I'd would go for the pattern style first. It reall teches you to fly. It will teach you how to use the rudder and throttle throughout the flight. You'd be surprised at the number of people that competely forget about the rudder. You really have to use this to stay on line in manuvers and in straight and level flight. In pattern flying you rarely fly full throttle you use throttle control to help you power through manuvers. I started flying a focus sport pattern plane and absoulutely love flying it. it looks so nice flying smooth and straight as an arrow. I now also have a 50cc extra 300 and a 100cc Ultimate. Learning to fly the pattern plane with using rudder and throttle definitely comes in handy!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Mnw1998

In my opinion the U-can-DO 3D is inexpensive if you have everything already. It needs standard ball bearing servis but i have all hi-torques in my elevator and my rudder (same exact servos) and on your rudder you will need a hi-torque for sure there is no way around that. but i like mine so far and building it isn't hard at all
Old 10-23-2012, 04:35 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There's nothing I can think of that would do both really well competition wise, but thinking there are quite a few scale types that might be fun to try with from a fun/sport perspective? A long tail moment would be what I would start with....
Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Mnw1998

In my opinion the U-can-DO 3D is inexpensive if you have everything already. It needs standard ball bearing servis but i have all hi-torques in my elevator and my rudder (same exact servos) and on your rudder you will need a hi-torque for sure there is no way around that. but i like mine so far and building it isn't hard at all

a u can do ... doesn't do either vary well .... and i am shocked that pepole recmmond them
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fun2fly24

Is there a solid inexpensive pattern plane out there that is cheap enough that if you crash it, its not a big deal because i want to practice my pattern and 3D lower and i know that will lead to a crash eventually.
THanks,
fun2fly24
I think your bestbest is going to be a 25% scale Aerobat. Extra, Edge, SBach one of those. Look for a relatively sharp leading edge and not too thick a wing profile. Most of these have good size control surfaces but the throws can be tamed.

On Low rates, my GW Edge 540 V3 flies better than my H9 Showtime so I use the Edge for patten as well as 3D.
Steer clear of planes like the Showtime, ESM Adrenaline etc.
another option is the Sebart Sukhoi 140e or Wind S110. These are available with different horizontal stabs for pattern and 3D.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: fun2fly24

Is there a solid inexpensive pattern plane out there that is cheap ...
If you can find someone selling an Ultra RC Quest 90 in a box, grab it up immediately. The full name was "3D Quest 90 G2" when it was sold by Ultra RC. The price was $249.99 but during a Winter promotion it was sold for $199.99. Now, that was really inexpensive. This is an excellent pattern model. You will be pleasantly surprised at the ARF quality, the smoothness and precision in flying pattern and its 3D capability with a YS 1.10 for power. It can be knife edge looped and flown knife edge for the entire flight with little effort. . It can be flown at full throttle in level flight with no control surface flutter issues.

wing span & length=68.5in
wing area=899sq in
weight range of 7.5 - 8.5lb (mine weighs 8.75lb)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68913.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1815264  
Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 AM
ameyam

or you can try a gp reactor. they do both patteern and 3d fairly well and the 46 size is fairly inexpensive

ameyam
Old 10-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

For cheap 3D I have an OMP Profile Edge. Excellent plane.
For cheap Pattern I have a World Models Spot On 50. Competed in Sportsman with it this year. Mediocre plane.

Both are very different planes.

I also have a Reactor 46. It flies great but think it may be too floaty for Pattern and it is not as good as my profile for 3D. But to be honest I have not flown it that much. Both the Reactor and the Spot On 50 are extremely nose heavy. The battery for the Reactor I moved under the rudder.

Good Luck!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:32 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Uncas

For cheap 3D I have an OMP Profile Edge. Excellent plane.
For cheap Pattern I have a World Models Spot On 50. Competed in Sportsman with it this year. Mediocre plane.

Both are very different planes.

I also have a Reactor 46. It flies great but think it may be too floaty for Pattern and it is not as good as my profile for 3D. But to be honest I have not flown it that much. Both the Reactor and the Spot On 50 are extremely nose heavy. The battery for the Reactor I moved under the rudder.

Good Luck!
Ditto.

Even the SPot On 120 is very nose heavy

Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

If you want a real pattern plane that you can play at 3D with check out the 3DHS Osiris 62". It is inexpensive and a great pattern plane. Plus set up as Andrew Jesky suggests it is ridiculously light and has a huge performance envelope. I don't think you will find planes that are great at both pattern and 3D until you get into giant scale IMAC planes, which is not what you want. Anyway check out AJ's build/fly Higher Plane Precision Aerobatics video of that plane and 3DHS website. That is a great combination.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 PM
nmking09
My Feedback: (61)

Hobbico Razor $119, and free shipping. It is one of the best 40 size 3d planes, bar none (even though it doesn't look it). It holds a line OK, if you move way in on the servo arm it will pattern ok. But it is a serious 3D machine. Put a 55 or a 46 with a half pipe, keep it light and have fun. For 119 it's hard to beat.