Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

C.A.P. P47 Thunderbolt Razorback Kit

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

C.A.P. P47 Thunderbolt Razorback Kit

Old 12-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Green Shield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C.A.P. P47 Thunderbolt Razorback Kit

Hello,
I have been given a P47 Thunderbolt kit from my family. The kit is made by C.A.P.. There is no markings on the box in which it came, only black magic marker to list what it is. The plans are yellowed so the date of 1-1-69is most likely correct. However, there is no instruction book and there are no notes anywhere on the plans as to construct the plane. I am not a builder, but thought that I should at least build one plane in my flying career instead of arfs all the time.
This is a 61 1/2" plane for a 61 to 80 engine. If not the plans, would anyone of you know what it is worth?

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: C.A.P. P47 Thunderbolt Razorback Kit

Believe it or not Complete A Pac (C.A.P.) is still around and the Jug is still available, see link below. I might (emphasis on might) have a set of the plans but I will have to do some digging to find out for sure. I'll get back to you on that.

http://www.angliamodelcentre.com/pro...19963738d8dc22
Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Green Shield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chad, I do have the plans, wondering about build instructions. No notes in the corners of the drawings.
The link you sent was good, but the cowl is a frame-up with the kit. I'll have to get some experienced help to frame it up.

Thanks again.
Tim
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Chad Veich

Sorry Tim, I mis-read your post. Not sure the kit included any instructions to be honest but I'm only guessing as I have not personally built one. I do have a friend who built and competed with a couple of them back in the '80s so I can inquire with him if you would like me to. Heck, he may still have the instructions if the kit came with any. He is a bit of a "horder" in that sense! (That's who I got the plans from.) The gentleman in question is a very experienced scale builder and flyer and he maintains the CAP Jug was among the best he ever flew so that may give some encouragement to press on and get her built. Of course an email to the folks at the link I posted above may get some results as well. Good luck with it!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 AM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I built this model in the early 80s completely from scratch, and even won a local competition with it.

I flew it for many years and was stupid enough to sell it at a certain point…
It is a rather straightforward build but it was not my first scratch-build. I’d be happy to help you but the best I can suggest is that if you find no instructions, get some help from a local builder in your area or club.

‘Traplet’ sell this plan now, and also a good f/g cowl and bubble canopy. I bought both cowl and canopy from their U.K. branch recently with the intentions to build another one, this time the bubble canopy version. It flew that good.

I have not checked this, but Topflite do a P-47 kit of similar size so their plastic parts could possibly be made to fit this model?

The model was an exceptionally good flier and if you build it reasonably well and accurate you will enjoy it very much. It flew completely without any problems and was also easy to land but do incorporate those large and very effective scale flaps. It also had a lot of presence, much more than the modest 61†span would suggest at first.

For power I used an OS .61 FSR with a Tatone Pitts muffler, and it was more than enough. I recall the AUW being just under 8 Lb. dry (I am a very weight conscious builder, because I used to build Free Flight models when I first took up this hobby).

Good Luck! It is one model worth of every building effort.

BTW, over the years I’ve built several C.A.P. plan designs and found most had some errors on the plans, some of them rather significant. I do recall however, that their P-47 was the best plan, and had no errors (at least that I could find) so you should really enjoy this build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75950.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1831521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22742.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1831522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12440.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1831523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89980.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1831524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96563.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1831525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tj74533.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1831526  
Old 03-30-2015, 04:08 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EF
I built this model in the early 80s completely from scratch, and even won a local competition with it.

It is a rather straightforward build but it was not my first scratch-build. I’d be happy to help you but the best I can suggest is that if you find no instructions, get some help from a local builder in your area or club.

‘Traplet’ sell this plan now, and also a good f/g cowl and bubble canopy. I bought both cowl and canopy from their U.K. branch recently with the intentions to build another one, this time the bubble canopy version. It flew that good.

I have not checked this, but Topflite do a P-47 kit of similar size so their plastic parts could possibly be made to fit this model?

The model was an exceptionally good flier and if you build it reasonably well and accurate you will enjoy it very much. It flew completely without any problems and was also easy to land but do incorporate those large and very effective scale flaps. It also had a lot of presence, much more than the modest 61†span would suggest at first.

For power I used an OS .61 FSR with a Tatone Pitts muffler, and it was more than enough. I recall the AUW being just under 8 Lb. dry (I am a very weight conscious builder, because I used to build Free Flight models when I first took up this hobby).

BTW, over the years I’ve built several C.A.P. plan designs and found most had some errors on the plans, some of them rather significant. I do recall however, that their P-47 was the best plan, and had no errors (at least that I could find) so you should really enjoy this build.
Hello. I was very pleased to find this thread on the Complete A Pac P-47.
I just scored a C. A. P. P-47 Kit partially assembled (a long time ago), in an estate sale. I have the plans, although they are a bit fragile. The fuse is built and sheeted. The wing is built, but not sheeted. I am missing the control surfaces in the built up parts. It has Wing lead-screw retracts with shock absorbing gear legs, and a nice glass cowl. Also a retracting tail wheel gear, and nice pilot figure. Pictures to follow.
I plan to complete this model and fly it with a Saito 120 FS. Is this too much engine? I have a Saito .56 and a Saito 1.00, and a YS 120, but the 1.00 and YS 1.20 are in other planes right now. I would rather use a 4 stroke, but I also have Several .61s, including a Kraft K61, and a Merco .61. I also have a Super Tigre .90 and an ASP 1.09. I would appreciate any inputs on both the plane and engine recommendations.
I am very encouraged that this plane is known to build and fly well. I thank you for your comments to date and look forward to additional information.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Chad Veich

If the Saito 1.20 fits in the cowl to your satisfaction I can see no reason not to use it. It would be on the upper end of the power spectrum but you will almost certainly need the nose weight and having a bit of extra power is not a bad thing. The ST .90 would probably be my second choice if you are not interested in using the 1.00 or 1.20 out of your other birds. Just my .02 cents of course.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:18 AM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by EF

Not sure how I missed your post Erez but that is a great looking Jug! I think the CAP model offers a terrific scale outline and the flight performance proves that there is no need to exchange scale fidelity for flyability where the P-47 is concerned.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:02 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
If the Saito 1.20 fits in the cowl to your satisfaction I can see no reason not to use it. It would be on the upper end of the power spectrum but you will almost certainly need the nose weight and having a bit of extra power is not a bad thing. The ST .90 would probably be my second choice if you are not interested in using the 1.00 or 1.20 out of your other birds. Just my .02 cents of course.
Thank you for your comments; they are very much appreciated. My Saito FS-120 is the old "Big Jug" abc version that weighs even more than the aac version more commonly seen. I think that it will be my choice as the Big Jug moniker fits the application perfectly. Finishing the build will be my next winter's project as I am eager to get out flying as soon as our field dries out. Thanks again.

I will be looking for a set of plans in better condition than mine to refer to for the remaining build as mine are brittle and darkened with age. If any one has an extra set or maybe even that certain parts of the plans could be copied, I would appreciate the better images. Even reduced scale would be ok, as I can copy them and reprint them to the proper size. Thanks.
Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4 (Koverall/dope), H9 100 inch (Gen 1) (Solartex/?), GB Anniv Cub (NIB)
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Kadet Brotherhood #96; Mk 1 Kadet, Kadet Junior,
Midwest Citabria, Bipe Stik
Sig Kougar, Sig 1/4 Cub, Sig 1/4 Spacewalker II
Spitfire Brotherhood #252
Carl Goldberg Tiger Club Member # 81
Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With really old brittle plans I have ironed them flat and smooth then taken them to Kinko's and had a new copy made. I have had some so brittle I couldn't work with them so the copy worked out well.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:15 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
With really old brittle plans I have ironed them flat and smooth then taken them to Kinko's and had a new copy made. I have had some so brittle I couldn't work with them so the copy worked out well.
Thank you, I may try that. I only need certain sections to build the remaining parts not already built. And I can look at other P-47 build for color and trim options. I have some experience scratch building from plans, but if I run in to trouble, I know I can look to other builders for help.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by spaceworm
I will be looking for a set of plans in better condition than mine to refer to for the remaining build as mine are brittle and darkened with age.
I have the CAP Jug plans scanned and would be glad to send them to you. I had to scan them in sections due to the limited width of the scanner I was using but the set is complete. The originals were quite old and fragile but the scans are of decent quality and will allow you to print a new set whenever you like. Just shoot me an email at [email protected] if you would like me to email them to you.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:26 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by spaceworm
I just scored a C. A. P. P-47 Kit partially assembled (a long time ago), in an estate sale... The fuse is built and sheeted. The wing is built, but not sheeted. I am missing the control surfaces in the built up parts. It has Wing lead-screw retracts with shock absorbing gear legs, and a nice glass cowl. ...Pictures to follow...
I am very encouraged that this plane is known to build and fly well. I thank you for your comments to date and look forward to additional information.

Sincerely, Richard
Here are pics of the P-47 as received:

I would appreciate any inputs or comments, and I especially thank Chad Veich for the help from him on the plans.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely, Richard
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
YS F 120
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-15 15.52.02-1.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	574.1 KB
ID:	2089964   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-15 15.54.46-1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	664.4 KB