Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Painfully slow Texaco scale Tiger moth build

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Painfully slow Texaco scale Tiger moth build

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 PM
paulsen
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painfully slow Texaco scale Tiger moth build

1/2a kit projects are my favorite. This one will depend on my work schedule and since I work for a Guy not so lovingly referred to as a tile nazi who knows when an update will be. Either way I'm excited to work on it.

Looks like I can't load pix from my phone. Man things have changed a lot since I first posted here. (Technology not the site) ill get my first pics posted time permitting. How cheesy not even an intro pic lol.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Painfully slow Texaco scale Tiger moth build

Tile workers can get all the work they want and then some...huh..?
1/2A kit projects are great. Build on a 12x36 hunk of plywood and stash the whole project up on the top shelf of your closet in between build sessions.
I used to build like this when I had a traveling job and stayed at motels a lot.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:56 AM
paulsen

Hey CP. The General rule of thumb seems to be work till you look like a zombie then the tile nazi will have more for you to do on your day off.

I've ordered a new NV. 061 and have everything I need to start today I'm going to begin work on it then I have to go remodel some restaurant at 10:30 pm when there closed. What a life. This threads kinda useless with out pix ill see what I can do.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:05 PM
combatpigg

Well, you are in a skilled craft that can never get sent to China. You can also expand into installing Corian and all the other stuff that 99% of homeowners can't/wont do for themselves. You're also in a craft that you can do on your own once the timing is right and you've got the feel for the business end of that market. I would look into wearing or having a small fresh air supply and use it as much as possible. An old CPAP [sleep apnea] machine is all you need with some extra hose. I use one in the work shop and it doesn't sap energy like trying to suck air through filters does. The constant supply of cool air is refreshing and my glasses don't get steamed up like they do with just a cheap mask.
The photos that come straight off my camera overwhelm the RCU limit if I try to post more than 2.
Sometimes 1 photo at a time is all that can be uploaded to RCU.
There are free photo "resizers" ..[I don't know if you already have tried this]
The resizer I use [for example] reduces a photo that has 300 kb down to 28 kb and the photo looks just fine afterwards.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM
paulsen

The only problem sending pics is I only have connection to the internet through my phone ( keeping the monthly budget down). I do have the center section of the top wing built and plan on finishing the top wing before I go to work tonight. The wing actually has undercamber which is pretty cool I've never built a wing with undercamber before. I'm curious as to how it will perform.

I'm actually talking to another tile setter who wants to partner up and knows a lot of the big players in town. I'm actually doing just as you said waiting for the right time to go out on my own. I've already got general liability insurance and my company name is PAULSEN TILE & STONE.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 PM
combatpigg

Covering the bottom of an undercambered wing with iron on film must be tricky. I have seen it done with tissue. The trick is to control the shrinkage from what I understand.
It will most likely do inside loops with almost no effort and tend to try to crash every time you try to fly it upside down or do any outside loops.
So I reckon it will be one of those models that needs to be flown in a proper and dignified manner.....[8D]
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 PM
paulsen

Forced Proper dignified mannerisms may be in order as the inspiration to build this thing came from my obsession to build and fly the FFP R80 Tiger Moth 80% scale home built. Now as far as the undercamber even the homebuilt version has a modern airfoil.

Maybe I can post a link. This things slow going but I'm having fun and I am taking pix of progress to post here later.

http://www.fisherflying.com/index.ph...id=42&Itemid=5