Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

50CC REVOLVER!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

50CC REVOLVER!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 PM
taildragger56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 50CC REVOLVER!!

wjc
Congrats on your maiden flight! sounds like a real nice plane, can't wait to get mine
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Slow and Steady

WJ, congrats on the maiden. By the way, what brand is PHP?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM
wjcalhoun

S&S
Thanks
PHP is Precision Hobby Products; i'm not actually a big fan of that brand, but my aircraft, after suitable mods, flies well.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 AM
edwal07

Congrats WJC!
I knew you would love it! You had the same WOW moment I did, it really is a nice flying plane and a keeper for sure. Glad it turned out well for you. Wish we were closer, but you are welcome to come over to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, the home of the West Alabama Aero Modelers anytime and put in some stick time. Have fun and get that engine broken in, then you will really see the beauty come out!
Ed
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

WJC, you suck. You are making my decision more difficult.
Here is the dilemma. I have room for 8 planes, Sun I crashed 2. I'm actually glad I did. One was a 36" yak that never flew well. It was underpowered and sloppy but it was a gift. Well Sunday I stalled on landing and stripped the LG. Since I didn't like it much its beyond repair.
Then last yr I bought an used purple Extra, yes, purple. I never liked the colors but it was cheap and fun. Well Sunday I didn't check the receiver battery on pre flight since I fully charged it 2 days prior. Kazammm, I lost signal and totaled.
Now I have 2 empty slots in my hangar. I'm totally switching all my glows to electric or gas. I'm done with the PITA that glow engines are.
Yesterday I went to my LHS and bought this 56" extra from E flite. 
With one more empty slot I'm in between a PA Kantana and the R90.
I have a 30cc Sbach that barely fits in the bed of my RAM, so space limitations are making me lean towards the 60" Kantana, but the sucker is not cheap. After all the parts it is $950, with a lil more I can have the R90.
Then I come here and read all this. Ahrrrrrrrrr my head is spinning like the girl in The exorcist. [:'(].
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

S&S
Thanks
PHP is Precision Hobby Products; i'm not actually a big fan of that brand, but my aircraft, after suitable mods, flies well.
Reads like what I had to do with my PHP 30cc Edge 540 - looked like some drunk chinese put it together. Like you, I did some suitable mods and made a decent plane out of it. Flown it about fifty flights now. It was one of the absolute worst ever planes I have ever taken out of the box and I would never plan to buy one again unless it is given to me, or pretty close to it.

Thank goodness I got a blowout deal on it or I would have been extremely angry and would have made sure the company was marked as selling crap airframes so others could avoid them. I hope you did not have as much trouble with yours as I did mine. I think we both may have turned them into something decent
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

lopflyers - 60" Katana or a 90" Revolver (for a "little more money"). That ain't no choice - that's a NO BRAINER!! Congratulations in advance on your new Rev 90!!

(now I just have to turn that rationalization machine back on me).

wjc - ironic that- from what we're hearing - PHP's quality seems so low, and yet they put "Precision" in their name. So much for truth in advertising.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 PM
wjcalhoun

I dont want to bash PHP; i bought mine NIB from a club member for whom the plane would have been too long for his trailer.

Principal issues with it were:
The holes in the fuse which should index the antirotation pins on the wings were badly misaligned. Neither wing would index into the holes as the ARF came to me, and the forward hole would have set the incidence of the wings to two different values. I ended up setting the plane up with zero wing incidence, and carefully enlarging the fuse holes to make the wing fit properly. A plane with different incidence for the two wings will NEVER fly right.

No hard structure for mounting the control horns to control surfaces. That all had to be reinforced.

No cowl ring on a 50cc bird; a nuisance, but not a deal breaker

No decks for radio or fuel or batteries. All that structure had to be built in, and of course with the fuel anchor, it has to be strong to hold about 1# of gas/tank against maneuvering forces that might be +/- 6-8g.

Main gear had not been cut properly to fit the slot in the bottom of the fuse.

On the positive, she is very light for her size, with low wing loading, and great performance from the DLE55 up front. The purple, silver, black, and white covering scheme presents very well in many light conditions.

Like Luchnia, I made a good airplane out of a bad arf. Had it been my first gasser, i do not think it would have turned out so well. I would not have had the experience to fall back on to make it right.

So... back on topic. The ARF build quality of both of my Revolvers (70 and 90) has been quite high.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM
wjcalhoun

Lop
You have two good options.
I'd pick the bigger plane, because i like bigger planes, and because the character of the R90 is different from my extras.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Lop
You have two good options.
I'd pick the bigger plane, because i like bigger planes, and because the character of the R90 is different from my extras.
I would go with the larger plane as well. The only thing is they can be tough to haul. If you have the room it is worth it. I do find that my 30cc planes are very nice size for hauling, not too mention more economical to operate. When I take my 50cc then things are so much tighter packed. I also find I have to take more care when taking the larger planes out of my van. Though large is fun to fly and much easier to see for my tired eyes these days.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 PM
microdon2

Besides, if there WERE women in RC, I'm sure they'd agree that bigger is better.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Thx, I was already leaning to the R 90 since I already have and flies the two younger sisters[:-]
Old 12-19-2012, 06:18 PM
wjcalhoun

Hey guys

Anyone else have a maiden report? Has anyone else bought the R90?
This thread has gone pretty quiet.

The day job is keeping me away from the field, but i look forward to getting the R90 out again soon over the holidays.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:41 PM
edwal07

My Revolver is flying this weekend along with my 33% Edge 540. Saturday is supposed to be a good nice sunny day in Bama. Gonna burn up some pertol sinceI justgot back from Vacation and after being sick for a week. Also gonna fly on the 1st of January no matter the weather, always like to get the year off to a good start.
Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. The Red White scheme on the Revolver are good Christmas colors. And I hope the New Year brings many eventful flights and uneventful landings. Keep the canopy up and wheels down!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25645.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1832086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18103.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1832087  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:49 PM
microdon2

Ed - nice pics! Your Rev 90 looks great. How's the reaction of the other guys at the field? (I stilll get good reactions from my Rev 70 and 59's).
Old 12-19-2012, 07:16 PM
taildragger56

Expecting mine any day now!!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 PM
edwal07

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Ed - nice pics! Your Rev 90 looks great. How's the reaction of the other guys at the field? (I stilll get good reactions from my Rev 70 and 59's).
Everyone did the ooooh and ahhhhhhh thing about a zillion times. My friend Frank absolutely loves it and how it flies (he is a fantastic pilot and a retired airline pilot also) he says it is the smoothest he's flown and he has an Extra 260 and an SBach both 50cc planes. He is a great 4 point roll guy and make the Revolver seem on rails. The knife edges (picture) are smooth with little effort. It stalls straight ahead, spins like a top, good inside and outside loops. No pulling on the uplines or yaws. I did set my CG 1/4" aft of the center of the recommend ones. I am using 1/4" SWB arms but the elevators are in the 3rd hole from the end, ailerons at end. I have a 3 1/2" SWB rudder arm which is plenty.
I used Savox Servos at 165inoz or so and they are performing perfectly. DualG-force3300mah 2S 6CLiPo's with MPI 6V regulators. I have a 2500mah NMH 6v on ignition for the DLA with Opti-Kill. I used a DuBro 32oz tank instead of stock. Aeroworks Ultimate control horns, ballends,and linkage, absolutely lovetheir hardware. DLA-56 with a 23X8 Troy Bilt Models prop spinning at 6850rpm WOT and 1700rpm Idle. Engine has only 9 flights on it so it is still in the breaking in stage. If it gets any easier to start, or run any better I don't know what I will do (I'm being silly)!
Anyway all I can say is a WINNER! I have 9 gassers, it is becoming my favorite, it is a toss up between the Extreme Flight Yak54 with a DA-50 and the Revolver. Hard to choose, however the Revolver may not do everything the Yak will, but it is like it is on rails. NICE!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 PM
microdon2

Ed - congrats! And thanks for all the details. Might refer back to that when I get mine.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:56 PM
billberry189
My Feedback: (1)

I have not maidened my R 90 yet,however, I did manage to run a tank full through my new 55 RA. All I can say is, wow, what a sweet little motor!!! Out of the box it took eight flips to choke her and three more to start her. After that, no more than three flips to start her. On the first run up it idled at 1500 rpm and hit 6980 rpm at WOT while swinging a 22X8 Falcon prop. It will be after Christmas before I will have a chance to maiden my R 90, but after today's success, I am really excited about getting her in the air! I will have more later,including photos.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:25 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good god what a sweet looking plane. I've been looking for a bigger replacement for my R70 for a while. This will be it with probably a DLE 55RA
Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 AM
edwal07

If any of you guys are interested in theDLA 56 with good service and warranty go to http://www.ibcinyourc.com/
Mike will treat you right and stand behind his product. I actually have the 1st engine to enter the states thru Valley View RC and so far not one issue and it runs fantastic. Just for your info! I have done business both ways with Mike, he sells my flight stands, and he is honest and dependable.
I will be flying my R90 again tomorrow. It flies great and I really enjoy the looks too. Good plane and a keeper!
Enjoy!
If you are interested in my flight stands go on Facebook to Eds RC Field Stands and take a look, it also has customer comments!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

have a extrem yak and many more might have to put one of these on order list. Was going to get a 91 inch 300 extremflight
Old 12-23-2012, 04:12 PM
taildragger56

Just picked mine up on friday, can't wait to put her together Thanks again guys for the many posts and pics on your R90 builds. It will help alot.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Bob
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
wjcalhoun

Guys:
I had the R90 out today for flights 5 and 6 on a new DLE55RA; the engine has settled in well and seems to be entirely reliable, so i was able to push her a bit more.

I had a minor trim issue with my elevator that made her curl slightly out of inverted and upright loops, but a minor linkage adjustment solved that.

Knife edge, both L and R require a little bit of up elevator mix, as she tucks to the gear with my (somewhat aft) CG). She also needs a little bit of aileron mix INTO the KE - [meaning roll L to knife, full R rudder, she will require a bit of L aileron to hold the knife edge, and vice versa for L KE] as she tries to roll back to horizontal from KE. Whether that is a function of the semisymmetrical wing, something else about the design, or my CG or other setup factor I do not know. Neither mix will be more than a few percent, maybe up to 6-7%.

I was able to make her upright flat spin both with my 'high rates' and with my 'max rates'. High rate UFS was pretty nose down - perhaps 30* or so, but on max rates, the nose was within 15* of horizontal.

No snaps yet; no blenders, KE spins, etc.

She is a very well-behaved airframe; settled predictably to 3-point landings despite a 10 pitch prop idling at 1700. No tendency to get mushy or tip stall.

Next time out, i'll have the Eagle Tree instruments in her, and can post speed, altitude, 3-axis g-force, etc.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Slow and Steady

Hi WJ, Two flyers at our field, who are flying the 55R had the muffler welds come apart at the mounting flange and exhaust pipes. Just something to keep an eye on. Take care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.