Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Flite metal TF P51 help

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Flite metal TF P51 help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:43 AM
bocam1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flite metal TF P51 help

What's up guys. I am new to building but not flying and I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I am building a TF 1/5 P51. I want to cover it in flite metal but I have some questions. First does anyone know how to get a profile drawing of a real P51 that I could scale to the size of my plans so that I can make some templates for the flite metal. Second question is, is it a must to fiberglass before flite metal is applied or can you use a polyurethane on it instead. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:30 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Default RE: Flite metal TF P51 help

There is a guy in Cali, search the recent TF Mustang forums. The name and address were post between Sept and Nov 2012.

Chris923
Old 12-16-2012, 09:35 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Here is the info: Charles sent to me.

Christopher,

Thanks for your inquiry. Yes ,I still offer P-51B and D drawings. Each set consists of four sheets, 24x36 and are rendered at 1/16 scale. P-51B/C set is 40.00. P-51D/K set is also 40.00.
All sets shipped rolled and post paid in US.
Cash, check, or money order OK.

Charles Neely
PO Box 1772
Ft. Bragg, CA
[email protected]

The drawings are excellent!

Chris923
Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I used Mr. Neely's drawings as the basis for my own 1/4 scale Mustang design and they are highly recommended. Charles is well recognized as one of the premiere Mustang researchers around. In regards to your second question the Flite Metal is dead soft and very thin and must be applied over a perfectly smooth surface. Any imperfections underneath will translate through and be readily visible in the Flite Metal. I don't think it matters what methods are used to finish the raw wood prior to the Flite Metal application but I imagine that the harder the surface the better which would tend to favor glass and resin. My .02 cents, your mileage may vary!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:12 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I provide a CD containing hundreds of P-51 line art....free

Yes, you should use .6 ounce to the sq yard glass cloth with diluted finishing resin to harden the surface of your model.
We provide directions to do this.

Interesting you have not emailed us to ask these questions. We provide all P-51 and P-47 customers with multiple line
art...FREE.