Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Mugen MBX7

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:47 PM
hanson racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugen MBX7

I have been thinking of getting into nitro racing and just saw that A Main Hobbies has the new Mugen MBX7 in stock and ready to ship. I think they are the first to receive it. Anyways, just wondering what nitro experts think of the vehicle. Thanks for your help. Here is a link to the buggy.<xml><oocumentProperties><o:Template>Normal.dotm</o:Template><o:Revision>0</o:Revision><o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime><o:Pages>1</o:Pages><o:Words>82</o:Words><o:Characters>470</o:Characters><o:Company>Sacramento Kings</o:Company><o:Lines>3</o:Lines><o:Paragraphs>1</o:Paragraphs><o:CharactersWithSpaces>577</o:CharactersWithSpaces><o:Version>12.0</o:Version></oocumentProperties><o:OfficeDocumentSettings><o:AllowPNG /></o:OfficeDocumentSettings></xml><xml><w:WordDocument><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:TrackMoves>false</w:TrackMoves><w:TrackFormatting /><w:PunctuationKerning /><wrawingGridHorizontalSpacing>18 pt</wrawingGridHorizontalSpacing><wrawingGridVerticalSpacing>18 pt</wrawingGridVerticalSpacing><wisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</wisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery><wisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</wisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><wontGrowAutofit /><wontAutofitConstrainedTables /><wontVertAlignInTxbx /></w:Compatibility></w:WordDocument></xml><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="276"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style>

<o></o>

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_48_2636/products_id/246071/n/Mugen-MBX7-1-8-Off-Road-Competition-Buggy-Kit<o></o>

Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Mugen MBX7

If you want to start racing, that is exactly the buggy I would get. Mugen is proven more than anybody else afaic. I debated Mugen vs. AE a year ago, but got the AE because of parts availability(and on hand), etc.. Should have gotten the Mugen.

That and any number of good engines (20+ to choose from) and a couple of decent servos would be an awesome combo...

Mugen just showed up with an all new car - the 7 - at the Worlds and won it!.. I think it's safe to say there is no surer bet out of the box in buggy racing than Mugen. And no, NOT just because they won the Worlds with it. But because Mugen has a long tradition of putting out good reliable quality stuff. Some day I'll have one..........

ps I personally would check around for deals on the MBX6R.. Sure to be some deals going now that the 7 is out - and the 6R is newish itself..
Old 12-21-2012, 10:06 AM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: hanson racing

I have been thinking of getting into nitro racing and just saw that A Main Hobbies has the new Mugen MBX7 in stock and ready to ship. I think they are the first to receive it. Anyways, just wondering what nitro experts think of the vehicle. Thanks for your help. Here is a link to the buggy.

<o></o>

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_48_2636/products_id/246071/n/Mugen-MBX7-1-8-Off-Road-Competition-Buggy-Kit<o></o>

If you are just getting into racing, I doubt that your driving will be any better with the MBX7 over the MBX6R. Save yourself$200 and get the MBX6R. They really aren't that different.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 PM
hanson racing

Thank you very much for the input.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:01 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge mugen fan, but they do make me laugh. Rich man's car, cos if you buy one it's unsupported within 2 years (I know that's an exaggeration, but you get what I mean).
Old 12-22-2012, 05:31 AM
HerrSavage

Actually, I've read that they release in four-year cycles.. They had some upgrade stuff like the 6R and EU versions, but they were all fundamentally 6's...

Now Associated on the other hand...(with whom I am not very happy at the moment...) Disaster..................
Old 12-22-2012, 05:09 PM
robg68

You can't not go wrong with this car. I went from a slash 4x4 that handled like a brick and broke something every time out to a mugen mbx6 eco, wow! incredible performance out of the box, not one part has broken and no upgrade parts to buy.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:46 AM
lez1troubles

you could also just get a KYOSHO.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Actually, I've read that they release in four-year cycles.. They had some upgrade stuff like the 6R and EU versions, but they were all fundamentally 6's...

Now Associated on the other hand...(with whom I am not very happy at the moment...) Disaster..................
hahaha, well they had to update their stuff at some point in time or they will be like traxxas

Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 AM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge mugen fan, but they do make me laugh. Rich man's car, cos if you buy one it's unsupported within 2 years (I know that's an exaggeration, but you get what I mean).
Unsupported? What does that mean? There seems to be plenty of parts available for the MBX5.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

Unsupported? What does that mean? There seems to be plenty of parts available for the MBX5.

They are unsupported here locally, but finding part online is easy. Even for the MBX5. But these Mugens are tanks and you won't need to order many parts anyway!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM
nitroexpress

Funny that you should mention tanks. The MBX7 seems to have a fuel tank issue (breakage). I'm sure it will get straightened out.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the MBX6R (from AMain) a few days before trhe MBX7 was released. I paid only $399 for it I agree with what NitroExpress said....at least in my. case I doubt I would notice a tangible difference between the6 and 7. Not a $300 difference at least.

Regarding parts/support, like every vehicle I own, Idid some research on parts availability and don't think I'll have problems getting stock or aftermarket parts online. I actually do most of my shopping online. No disrespect to LHSs. I buy my fuel, plugs, paint, etc from there. Additionally, I live abbut 10 minutes from Traxxas' HQ, and most LHS around here are 95% Traxxas...with one Iknowselling ONLYTraxxas parts. ;-( I walked in and was told that kind of went "pffft" under my breath and never returned.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: yakfish

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

They are unsupported here locally, but finding part online is easy. Even for the MBX5. But these Mugens are tanks and you won't need to order many parts anyway!
Indeed, this is what I meant. 'Unsupported' as a business term means that the manufacturer is no longer actively producing any supporting parts for a model. There are still parts online, but they will dry up eventually. Certain MBX5 parts are getting hard to find, especially some of the prospec bits. MBX6 part productoin has now stopped too I believe.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 AM
HerrSavage

I'd buy an MBX6R in a heartbeat(and might, if I can sell my RC8.2..) That parts have been around for the MBX5/T as long as they have, AND that there must have been ten times as many 6's in circulation as the older 5's, tells me that 6 parts will be available forever more or less - or at least as long as anyone buying a 6 now would ever need. Plus the good deals on 6R's now is a clincher. John, you made the right call afaic... The buggy-racing scene is so full of hype and girly excitement over anything new, I would not waste much time thinking about the 7... Even for intermediate on up to advanced racers.. Knowing how to set up your car and drive is a hundred times more important...