Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hog bipe aileron throws

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hog bipe aileron throws

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Smashmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hog bipe aileron throws

I am finally finishing up my Hog bipe. When I hinged the ailerons I didn't take into account the instructions say 5/8 up and down. I assume that means 5/8 up,and 5/8 down. Not 5/8 overall. I can just barely almost get 5/8 each way.
My question is,will I want more? How lethargic will it be with 5/8 each way? It is winter (building season) for me. So if I am going to redo it,now is probably the time. But I really hate to mess with it.
Should I just fly it,or redo it to get more throw?
TIA.... Fred
Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 PM
wickedpissa
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hog bipe aileron throws

I have 1 inch on high rates and rolls are fast. I used pin hinges that had a little gap. If you have no gap you will have major surgery to do, cutting them off resanding the leading edge and recovering and rehinging. 

I have 5/8 set on low rates it flies scale like 

You can always do this project at any time before or after the maden
Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what 5/8 over all would be. It means 5/8 of an inch up then back to center then 5/8 of an inch down. I use a degree meter to set my throws and that 5/8 would be about 15 degrees. When I set up a new plane I set the controls at 10 or 12 degrees up and down so the 5/8 will give you plenty of throw.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:42 AM
dignlivn

I have less than 5/8 on my Astro Hog, it flies great.

You should be fine ?

Bob
Old 12-24-2012, 05:43 AM
stevegauth30

My hog bipe has a little less than 5/8 on high rates and a little less than 1/2 on low. On high rate she rolls like crazy and on low its very scale like. I think youll be fine. And if its not, you can always call for a do-over. Have fun.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Smashmaster

Thanks for the replies. Yea I hinged it with EZ hinges,and kept the gap as tight as possible. But a couple of you told me what I wanted to hear,so I think I will just fly it "as is". Afterall,I can get what the instructions call for. But on a lot of planes I have found myself wanting more throw than what they call for. And the hell of it is,this isn't the first time I have made this mistake. If it isn't enough throw I'll get to it next winter if the plane survives.
Fred
Old 12-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Gray Beard

I'm betting you turn them down a little but with what you have already you have enough throw to play with. The Hog is really a nice plane and will get with the program!!! One of the better designs of Bipes.
What engine did you use? First time I saw a friend show up with one that he stuck an OS .91 FS in I thought he was nuts but it turned out to be a great combo. The plane works with as much or as little power as you want to use, it's that well designed.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Smashmaster

Weellll.....I started out planning on a Saito .82. I have been "back burnering" this plane for 3 years.
I sat the .82 on there,and havent even got to balancing yet,but fact is,it just don't look big enough (I'd rather have too much)
I have kind of been watching for a bigger Saito,and low and behold a Saito 100 came up on RC groups.
I just got the tracking # today.
So I'm going with the Saito 100. I'll probably go through it and at least put a ring in it.
Fred
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 PM
stevegauth30

Hey fred, I think youll be happy with the roll rate even if you are a little on the light side of 5/8. Mine is real snappyat 5/8. I have no complaints. Also she should really rip with a saito 100 up front. Its funny you say that about the OS 91. I have an OS 91 ducted fan motor on mine and i love it. Its a real screamer, and the vert. is never ending. The guys at the club say that a hog bipe isnt meant to fly the way mine does. Ity just goes to show what a well designed kit it is that it can handle extreme manuvers at super high speeds and always comes in on its wheels. One of my all time favorite planes. If you like it you should consider the Smith Mini Plane if you havent already. Happy landings, Steve
Old 12-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Gray Beard

When I saw the plane with the .91 FS it was a long time ago when I had only been into RC
flight for a short time. Back then we were more Conservative. there was no 3-D or free style yet and seeing the Hog with an engine bigger then the .61 two stroke was kind of a shock. If you look at any of the Hog threads {pages of builds} you will see the .91 and the 100 are now the norm for the plane.
I had a young student, 12 at the time that just had to have the Saito 100 GK for his 4* 60 we built. The plane didn't last long, he flew it past the sun and stuffed it into the earth for some reason. Today he is 17 and has a car and a girl friend, we all know the story. He is no longer into RC. The engine is in a Nitroplanes Extra and so far the engine hasn't had but maybe 4 tanks of fuel through it. If the 100 is so sought after I think he should put his plane in the market place so he can get some bucks out of it and take the young lady out to dinner. Good looking little girl and the boy is Sooooo In Love!!! He also has a brand new DX 7 that I hate!! My bad!! It kicks my tail when I tried to use it. NO, I'm not trying to sell his stuff for him, just thinking with my fingers.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:31 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

When I saw the plane with the .91 FS it was a long time ago when I had only been into RC
flight for a short time. Back then we were more Conservative. there was no 3-D or free style yet and seeing the Hog with an engine bigger then the .61 two stroke was kind of a shock. If you look at any of the Hog threads {pages of builds} you will see the .91 and the 100 are now the norm for the plane.
I had a young student, 12 at the time that just had to have the Saito 100 GK for his 4* 60 we built. The plane didn't last long, he flew it past the sun and stuffed it into the earth for some reason. Today he is 17 and has a car and a girl friend, we all know the story. He is no longer into RC. The engine is in a Nitroplanes Extra and so far the engine hasn't had but maybe 4 tanks of fuel through it. If the 100 is so sought after I think he should put his plane in the market place so he can get some bucks out of it and take the young lady out to dinner. Good looking little girl and the boy is Sooooo In Love!!! He also has a brand new DX 7 that I hate!! My bad!! It kicks my tail when I tried to use it. NO, I'm not trying to sell his stuff for him, just thinking with my fingers.
Gene
Tell him to make me a deal. BTW. Merry Christmas. As Burl Ives whould say. Say hello to folks you know, have another cup of cheer.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Gray Beard

I haven't seen or spoken to him sense last spring or summer? He called me and wanted to get back into flying plus do a repair on his Extra. His sister drooped a book on one stab, a really clean break and you can't see the repair. I took him out with my trainer, he didn't bring out his Extra? He was the kid that soloed in one day. He flew the heck out of the trainer and that was the last time I saw him. I will face book him and see if he wants to sell out. If he hasn't done it already maybe we can get you a deal? The plane isn't much, flies good but it was real tail heavy and lead had to be used in the nose. After his 4* he just had to have an Extra like the rest of the guys but I think it scared him. He never flew it but once or twice. He felt better with this other little speed demon .46 plane he has. I will ask him. Maybe he still has everything? He had to buy a new battery pack for it when I did the repairs and I know he has never put it back on a charger. Too bad, I had the pack made for him by Battery Plus, a really good pack. Just in case I will save the box from a kit Brian sent me for Xmas. It could hold the plane and all the packing is still in the box. I'll let you know what I can work out with him.
Gene
If you need a 1.20 I still have a rebuilt OS pumper you can have. It runs well but really needs a new pump. Don did a rebuild on the pump for me and I had a new diaphragm installed by OS but it really does need a new factory pump. If you want it I will send it to you. I will fire it up and make sure all is well with it, no broken crank!!