Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need hep.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Tydeze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need hep.

So I am looking to get a new car. I am not new to the Hobby just to the car part of it. I have heard great things about the Slash 4x4 brushless but i love the look of the axial EXO terra buggy. My friend has one and he loves his, but he spent around 600 dollars on his and I just dont want to spend that kind of money. Also i was looking to build my first rc car, for the learning aspect of it. I was just wondering how they compared to eachother. If one is absolutely better than the other one or if they are pretty simaler. Also I want to know how they compare in handling, and durabilty. For now compare the EXO RTR to the Slash 4x4 brushless and maybe see if building the exo terra buggy with different electronics would help it fair against the Slash.
Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-25-2012, 01:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need hep.

The Exo terra's kit is $200
a servo should run about $20
radio depending on what brand/features you want a 2.4ghz can be anywhere from $20 to $200+
rest of electronics I dunno

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11217631/tm.htm for someone that put the kit together doubt he went over the RTR cost.

Personally I'd probably would go exo over slash. as honestly it looks cooler than the slash IMO, and I think it would be more fun when running with your buddy to have similar RC's as things are a bit more down to driver's. Also as for cost if you stick to hobby wing stuff for example (or that motor listed in the link) you can get out with assembling it cheaper. If you go castle creations or one of the more expensive brands you are paying for 2 things 1 their name, and 2 some extremely fine adjustability if you feel like hooking it up to a computer. Honestly unless you are going to be racing it in races that you pay to enter I don't really see the point(for the record I do have one of CC's ESC's, and never use the tuning as I don't race).

Only thing I would recommend is ask your buddy to let you try and change the batteries as I've read from multiple people its pretty tedious.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:28 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this would be a tough choice for me.

If I went the exo route, I would get the kit and add my own gear. As syco mentioned, you can get a servo and radio system for less than $50. And I would buy a ezrun system, less than $150 on ebay or hobbypartz.com.

There are aspects of the exo I dont like tho. The motor mounts' adjustment is a pain. You have to do a good deal it set the mesh. I also dont like how the battery door works. Its VERY tight. And the body mounts to the chassis and cannot be easy to remove.

But, the exo looks cool....and Id bet it will likely handle better than the slash.

Onto the slash. Other than the driveshafts, it holds up very well. Gobs of upgrades are availible. It can be modded into a buggy/truggy ect. Its very fast on a 2s, crazy on a 3s lipo.

So there you are. Slash is a good truck. Exo probly handles better and is as durable (if not more) but has a couple of small downsides.

You can build an exo kit with electronics for the same price as a RTR slash.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Tydeze

Thanks, I appreciate the input. Oh and my friend has a slash. He bought the best Slash on the market and changed the gearing to go like 60 mph. Itsridiculous. No but seriously thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tydeze

Thanks, I appreciate the input. Oh and my friend has a slash. He bought the best Slash on the market and changed the gearing to go like 60 mph. Its ridiculous. No but seriously thanks.
ahhh sounded like he had the exo from how you worded it.
umm ask to try the slash and see if you like it. Personally I didn't care much for it, and made mine a pede 4X4
Old 12-26-2012, 11:06 PM
gagnomchae

sounded like he had the exo from how you worded it.