Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Question abought Losi Mini Crawler

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Question abought Losi Mini Crawler

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 04:08 PM
B_Krukow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question abought Losi Mini Crawler

My 5 year old son got a Losi Mini crawler from santa this morning and seeing as how its below 0(F) outside he has been bashing it in the house all day. We already have a pile of rocks in the basment (unfinished) we setup for him to drive my Summit on so he has been down there all day crawling around on it. I was just down there and noticed that the left rear wheel was not spinning when he got stuck. I grabbed ahold of it and it apears that it has a limited slip type of drive on that wheel while the rest are solid to the drive train. I can spinn it with very minimal resistance. I can feel it dragging a little but not much. When I hold onto the wheel I can easaly stop it with minimal efort while the other three will stop the motor if I grab them. I presume something is broke already but figured i would ask here to see if there was any known week points I should look for before I tear it apart.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Question abought Losi Mini Crawler

ORIGINAL: B_Krukow

My 5 year old son got a Losi Mini crawler from santa this morning and seeing as how its below 0(F) outside he has been bashing it in the house all day. We already have a pile of rocks in the basment (unfinished) we setup for him to drive my Summit on so he has been down there all day crawling around on it. I was just down there and noticed that the left rear wheel was not spinning when he got stuck. I grabbed ahold of it and it apears that it has a limited slip type of drive on that wheel while the rest are solid to the drive train. I can spinn it with very minimal resistance. I can feel it dragging a little but not much. When I hold onto the wheel I can easaly stop it with minimal efort while the other three will stop the motor if I grab them. I presume something is broke already but figured i would ask here to see if there was any known week points I should look for before I tear it apart.
If you remove the wheel nut and take of the wheel, there is a plastic hex piece. Behind that, is a small metal drive pin. Whats most likely is that either that pin broke, or the plastic hex got rounded off (corners stripped, like if you stripped the head of a bolt)
Also, check the backside of the wheel where that plastic hex fits in. Sometimes that part can get rounded of when the hex does.

If the hex or the wheel's hex slot got stripped, then super glue the hex into the wheel. If the pin broke, you can cut a body clip with a pair of wire cutters to the length needed to replace the pin.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:35 PM
B_Krukow

Got it apart and found out the center is stripped out of the ring gear. Where the axle shaft goes into the ring gear there is no flats to engage the drive shaft. its just round in there. The weird part is that there is almost no shreds of pastic like you would expect to see if it had stripped out from binding up. its almost like there was no material there to begin with. I will have to call Losi tomarow and see if they are gona stand behind it or not. I highly dought it but i will give them the chance to. While looking it over durring this ordeal I also found that one of the upper front shock mounts was so loose it was ready to fall out. There couldent have been more than 1 or 2 threads holding it in. I love paying $240 for junk that is half ass built.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: B_Krukow

Got it apart and found out the center is stripped out of the ring gear. Where the axle shaft goes into the ring gear there is no flats to engage the drive shaft. its just round in there. The weird part is that there is almost no shreds of pastic like you would expect to see if it had stripped out from binding up. its almost like there was no material there to begin with. I will have to call Losi tomarow and see if they are gona stand behind it or not. I highly dought it but i will give them the chance to. While looking it over durring this ordeal I also found that one of the upper front shock mounts was so loose it was ready to fall out. There couldent have been more than 1 or 2 threads holding it in. I love paying $240 for junk that is half ass built.
should try their micros that get a whole 10 feet of range, and to get them to behave like they should you have to fork out $90 for a 2.4ghz board and additional for a losi 2.4ghz radio.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:09 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its odd that that part gave before the drive pin or hex.

You mentioned your kid had been driving it alot. With crawlers, if the wheel gets pinched between rocks and cannot turn but you still give it full throttle then stuff can break. The slipper clutch is supposed to prevent this. But maybe on yours the slipper clutch is too tight.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 PM
B_Krukow

Ya i thought it was weird that that gave before the slipper cluch as well but like I said it apears that there wasent much material in there to begin with because I would expect to seea fair amount of plastic peices mauledup where it ripped material from the inside of the ring gear but there was not much of anything. just a couple small slivers of material. makes me thing that there was something wrong to begin with. Either way Losi is sending me a new center section in the mail already so its all good. I will just have to take 10 minutes to put it in when it gets here. For now he is running it with 3 wheel drive.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 PM
jmz6

Are these the problem?

They were junk from the start, Losi and a bunch of aftermarket companies made upgraded metal ones.
We replaced both plastic front and rear sets and the plastic locker in the trans pretty much from the start in our competition trucks. You don't want to put plastic back in there or it will only do the same before long. Expect maybe $40 to replace all the lockers
Center locker in transmission
Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM
B_Krukow

Ya those where the problem. I put it back together and he had it up and running for all of abought 30minutes when teh entire thing up and died. I have no idea what the isue is this time. The LED lights on the ESC come on but the little green light on the receiver just blinks for a split second as you are turning it on then goes out. I have no idea what the isue is but now its been dead most of the week because of that. Now I have to drive 120 mile round trip to the Hobby store I bought it from so they can look at it. The top shock mounts all keep backing themselves out as well. I guess I need to get some locktite on them. Overall I am realy not impressed with Losi quality.