Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Scottypiper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

Onyx 245 for $110? With a coupon I could get it down to $95 total...is that good?

I plan on racing only here and there...mostly backyard fun...etc. Will this satisfy my needs and still let me race some? Poeple complained about it not being able to discharge...is that a big deal?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:13 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is this a good deal?

Discharge is very important. You can't tell the condition of your batteries unless you can discharge them under controlled conditions. Second you don't want to store lipo's in a charged condition ( half charged only). As for NiCads and NiMh you need to cycle them on occasion and you can't cycle unless your charger can discharge.

Get a Venom Pro that will do everything you want for less than $100.

Frank
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Scottypiper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this a good deal?

ORIGINAL: countilaw

Discharge is very important. You can't tell the condition of your batteries unless you can discharge them under controlled conditions. Second you don't want to store lipo's in a charged condition ( half charged only). As for NiCads and NiMh you need to cycle them on occasion and you can't cycle unless your charger can discharge.

Get a Venom Pro that will do everything you want for less than $100.

Frank

If that is true with the cycling of NiCads and NiMH, then why don't all chargers have a discharge capability? I'm soooo confused right now of what will meet my needs without spending $200 or more on a stinking charger....I've seen issues with the Venom Pro after looking at reviews from various sites.

I just researched discharging.....the best way to do that is via the rc itself....by running it. You can ruin a LiPo by manually discharging it below half way. Why not just run them in your rc....otherwise it looks like any charger that has discharging is a lot more....

BTW - if I can get ahold of a LRP Quadra Pro 2 Charger for $75 or so...would that be good? I know they are discontinued but where they good chargers? They have discharge...etc. but can only charge one at a time.