Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Why use a field locator when you can now see where your buddies are flying and when?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why use a field locator when you can now see where your buddies are flying and when?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:03 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why use a field locator when you can now see where your buddies are flying and when?

I know I clearly have too much time on my hands, BUT, my new iPhone app (don't worry, it's coming on Android soon), let's ANYBODY, anywhere find their buddies and see when they are flying. It's called Who's Flying Where and you can get it here:

[link=http://www.whowhereapp.com]www.whowhereapp.com[/link]

Here's what it does:

-Discover who is flying.
-Search by buddy list.
-Tap a buddy’s name for their full schedule.
-Customize your buddy list at anytime by adding or eliminating names.
-Customize notifications from all, some or none of your buddies.
-Discover who is flying at your favorite locations.
-Use a radius search or specific location search for out-of-town events.
-Check to see who’s there at any time.
-Make the spot one of your favorites.
-Make changes to the name, location or permitted activities of the venue.
-Users can create new sites on the fly and edit any site in the system. Users keep the data fresh.
-Log your flight plan for any venue in 5 seconds.
-Setup your flight schedule for tomorrow or the entire year!
-Every venue has a map, list of permitted flight activities and a primary and secondary name field.
-Set your system up to automatically generate a notice the moment you arrive at your flying site.
-Set up buddy notification to receive instant messages when your buddies check into a flying site or schedule an upcoming flight plan.
-Your favorite spots show up first for easy access.
-Automatically post your flight status to Twitter and Facebook.

Give it a try. It's free and I think you'll use it (as long as your friends use it of course).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46859.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	1830625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94990.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1830626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84952.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1830627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37784.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1830628  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:11 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Why use a field locator when you can now see where your buddies are flying and when?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Fly RC II
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Why use a field locator when you can now see where your buddies are flying and when?

I LIKE IT!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ME TOO have a great Christmas.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 PM
mkranitz
Banned

If some of you experience a crash when adding new buddies, let me know. We are submitting a fix shortly but it's not happening for everyone.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 AM
mkranitz
Banned

We fixed the crash error. Works fine and there are already more than 100 guys signed up. The Android piece is 95% done now so I expect to have it up by the first week in January!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 PM
SDR-Hammer

This app looks very promising. I just downloaded it to play with and see if its something the guys I fly with could use rather than texting each other to coordinate flying times.

I do have one question... For now. We fly quite a bit at my house so I added it as "My Spot" and later found it in the "radius search". Does this only come up in my radius search or is my private field now part of the database for anybody that uses this app?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:09 PM
mkranitz
Banned

If you add a new location everyone can see it! That way, your buddies can schedule time there too.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:11 AM
SDR-Hammer

I can see how that needs to work.

Sure I'm not the only guy who, for the sake of needing to keep things low key, would like to keep his "spot" limited to just a couple guys. Would be better if there was an option when creating a new spot of either making it visible or hidden in the database. When a guy has his list of buddies he can share the hidden spot(s) he created with all or just a couple.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 AM
mkranitz
Banned

Interesting. To do that would be a bit of programming. On the other hand there are thousands of venues in the database so in many ways your venue is hidden in plain sight.

I will chat with my team about how to filter venues to be seen only by buddies.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:49 PM
SDR-Hammer

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

On the other hand there are thousands of venues in the database so in many ways your venue is hidden in plain sight.
But only a few show up in a 30 mi radius search. Just didn't want people knocking on my door asking if they can fly here. The workaround for now is, I edited the map and dropped the pin a few miles from my house.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 PM
gagnomchae

I will chat with my team about how to filter venues to be seen only by buddies.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:03 PM
mkranitz
Banned

ORIGINAL: SDR-Hammer

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

On the other hand there are thousands of venues in the database so in many ways your venue is hidden in plain sight.
But only a few show up in a 30 mi radius search. Just didn't want people knocking on my door asking if they can fly here. The workaround for now is, I edited the map and dropped the pin a few miles from my house.

I think we are going to modify the code to let users mark a venue "Private" so it only displays for that user and his buddies. Great suggestion!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 AM
mkranitz
Banned

We are launching heavily modified version of the software shortly. Please visit [link=http://www.whowhereapp.com]WhoWhereApp.com[/link] for continuous updates and to download the app.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 PM
mattokeol

The Android piece is 95% done now so I expect to have it up by the first week in January! 
Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 PM
mkranitz
Banned

On our site it explains what is going on.

www.whowhereapp.com
Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM
mkranitz
Banned

Android version is now live! http://www.whowhereapp.com

New iOS version in the queue for approval! Rock and roll!