Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Tacon motor for airboat

Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 AM
X1AaronW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tacon motor for airboat

I know this is an airplane forum but who to help me figure this out than you guys. I am curious as to weither or not you can use a tacon 3660 or 2848 540xl for an air boat. Im not worried about the power to weight ratio because im not trying to gain any lift. the 3660 is an 1800kv motor and the 2848 540xl is a 4300 kv motor. im not sure what size prop either of them require to maintain an acquitted load. so what i want to know is how would you find out? Is there some kind of formula?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:27 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tacon motor for airboat

I looked up the 3660 motor. These are for cars and trucks correct? if so, the motor may not have the thrust washers needed to handle the pull of the prop on the shaft. The motors for the planes are setup to hold the shaft from the pull of the prop. These look to be setup to handle the side loads on the shaft. They may work fine, I have not put a prop on a car / truck motor.

Buzz.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:55 AM
X1AaronW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes they are truck motors. i figured it would be ok because what im using it for is a pretty low weight and im only using 7.4 volts. do you think it would still be an issue?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how the motor's are put together. So it may be good to go for a long time or it might go crunch after a pack or two.

Do you have a watt meter? Start with a 7X4 prop and see how many amps it pulls.

Buzz.