Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Oh no, that's even better. I fly Spektrum. Let me know how you like it[:-]
Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 AM
wjcalhoun

lop-
The ET system is a way cool toy; you can buy the sensors that you are most interested in having - accelerometers, altimiters, true airspeed (pitot tube), gps, engine head temp, etc. The GPS updates 10/second, so the track and speed are pretty accurate for aircraft. A lot of the inexpensive gps devices out there update only once a second, so speed and position, although adequate for walking/hiking, or perhaps even for a car, are pretty crude for an aircraft.

I drove it around in my truck a few days to check its operation; you can play the track back in google earth to see where you have been driving or flying. The ET system has software to view parameters also - both 2D and 3D graphing capabilties.

My instrument package, all up, weighs <3oz. I draw power from an aileron lead so there is no additional battery.

Mike - best wishes for success. At least at this time of year in NY, you won't have to worry about snakes in the brush, which is always a mental hazard down here.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a quick thought on the locators? They work only if the electrical systems stays intact! In a more "unfortunate" crash, many times the battery, being one of the heavier objects in a plane, can be found only after searching a while? No battery, no noise coming from the locator...
Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

ahicks - I thought of that, that batteries and leads can get pulled apart in a bad crash - but its' better than nothing. And for $16 it's worth it.

wjc - thanks. Funny - I was wondering about animals \ critters as we trudged through this stuff. Only ones we saw were a few bunnies and a squirrel. Did see 4 young deer on the road driving in, right near the field. Nice to see that. (though the thought of someone shooting one of those beautiful animals always bugs me...)
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 AM
wjcalhoun

Al
You are exactly right, although empirically, in the crashes my birds have suffered, there has only been one time that the electrical system has actually become disconnected; denominator on that number is more than 10; i did not search my flight log to get a better number - too disheartening

Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

well i dint get the servos for this bird from Mrs Santa but i did get a UMX Sbach 3D and a EDGE 540QQ..oh Boy !
Old 12-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Sbach342Guy

Dry fit of Sbach repairs looks good. I included a close up pic of the landing gear and the inner fuse. If you look closely you will notice that the landing gear L-bracket is part of the inner fuse. You need to replace the entire inner fuse to properly fix it. Nail polish remover (ie acetone) has been my friend!

[link=https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.307939459307071.54419.136748473092838&type=1]Sbach pics on Facebook[/link]

Image upload tool wasn't working so I posted the pics on the Facebook page for my club.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
microdon2

Went back to look for the P51 today - and we found it! Was out WAY further than we thought - by maybe another 800 ft! And just missed going into the bay by about 75 ft. Plane went in nose first - at 2/3 throttle - and pretty much exploded on impact. No rebuild this time. At least we found it and I'm working on recovering what I can. And I can give it a proper burial. Am just about to clean the engine and test it.

Also pretty sure I found the cause. All channels in the receiver were populated except one - channel 2. Which syncs with my experience - that I lost elevator controls. So I think what happened was that, probably because of the mass of cables needed inside this plane (elevators, ailerons, flaps, retracts, etc) I think when I pushed them into the cavity as I was closing the wing I might have tugged on the elevator cable. But it was still in enough to take off and fly around for two laps, before it pulled out completely. My friend just told me that he tie-wraps all receiver cables together just above the receiver to prevent this - a great idea! Now I'll be doing that to all my planes. Just another expensive lesson.

I tried to post some pics (pretty graphic!) but am getting a server error. Will try again later.

Problem now is - I've got the warbird bug!! One thing I just noticed - a new H9 P51 150 (80") is $649, but a Top Flight P51 (84") on TH is $520 Anyone know why the price difference? Are H9 planes overpriced? Or better quality than Top Flight?

On the other hand, a Rev 90 is cheaper than both. Wonder if I could put retracts on it. I seem to now HAVE a spare set...
Old 12-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Sbach342Guy

Ok, so the server error isn't just me.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 PM
wjcalhoun

Hi Mike
Glad you found the 'expensive stuff', and hope it still usable.

I learned that trick from guys in my club - to put a zip tie around all of the cables just above the receiver. Either they all stay in, or they all come out.

I'm told the $2K AW P51 is worth the $$. I have seen one at our club and she is a beautiful bird. No experience with either the H9 or the TF.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:46 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

microdon2;
Happy to hear you found your P-51!!! When I lost my Blue Nose P-51 and they was out of stock for a long time, I went with this Top Flite ARF, ( see link below, ) and I must say it is a sweet flyer!!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXTDF5
Now if you want to stay with H9, look at their Spitfire ARF. Another beautiful fly war-bird. Go to the war-bird forum here at RCU and you will find build thread and tons of info on war-bird.
Again, happy you found your bird!!!
BTW: My vote is for the R90!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 PM
wjcalhoun

Hey Mike = AKA RevolverMan:
Sonny is right - if you are spending for a new airplane, get the R90. P51s are beautiful birds, but the R90 is an outstanding flyer.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM
microdon2

wjc - I hear what you're saying about the Rev 90.

Good news - the MVVS 35 and carb both look healthy. Had to wash a lot of dirt off \ out, but it turns over smooth with great compression. (I"m pretty impressed with this engine so far) Both pipes broke off the muffler, but I have a welder nearby who may be able to fix that. All three battery packs were torn apart - some even had their skin covering torn off - amazing G's! Gas tank split. Receiver looks ok, most servos look ok, others not. Have to test yet. Overall it could have been lots worse. I'm much happier than I was this morning.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

good for you microdon!!  sorry that happened.  it is amazing, we all have plenty of stories, and we keep learning as we go, no matter how many years we are in to this.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:33 AM
lopflyers

That's why I'm in this hobby instead of golf, always learning and the butterflies in your stomach never goes away
Old 12-28-2012, 04:41 AM
wjcalhoun

And my (understanding) wife says that i spend less on airplanes, even those that crash, than i would on country club dues for golf . Happy wife, happy life! Best wishes for the new year, guys.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 AM
microdon2

wjc - funny (and a bummer) how potential girlfriends don't seem to share that view.

lopflyers - agreed! That we can crash stinks - but it's also part of what makes flying so exciting.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 AM
RoyR

ORIGINAL: jet22b

Hey Guys;
Anyone want to buy the R70, Tower is having a after xmas sale to the end of this month on a lot of thing and the R70 is one of them!!
Sorry, I haven't read all of this thread yet, I just want to make a comment on what I am experiencing.
I am slowly working my way into electrics, as glow is becoming too expensive. I have one gasser. I had flown smaller electrics and a few months ago bought a 40 size, Escapade and made it electric. I decided to go one bigger to see if I like that in electric also, and ordered the Revolution 70. Wouldn't you know I ordered last month and paid the full price. I did get enough other stuff to get the $60 discount from Super Saver, however.
I am putting an EMP 5065 on it and using all China ESC and Batteries. I use a Turnigy on my Escapade with good success, and plan on using the less expensive China equipment on all my planes until there is some reason to doubt them. I am a sports flyer and do not need to be precise on Anything, just fly and have fun. If this one works out I may go one step larger and put electric in my 30cc Sbach. Anyway, my only point to all that was to say that we can make our hobby less expensive for ourselves and still have a great time. If you're into contests and precision, I can't comment, but I've found for Sports flyers there are cheaper ways to get into electric and larger airplanes.

As for the Revolver: I have been flying for around 40 years, with some breaks between. I began with sports planes, and after trying the Yaks, Edges, etc, I found that they are fun to fly, but I have no interest in 3D, and I am not disciplined enough to fly pattern, although I like doing the maneuvers.
I started with planes like the SuperSportster, 4star, etc. and I find I still like watching that kind of plane fly. I wanted to go to something that flies like the scale planes, but wasn't specialized for 3D. So I saw the revolver. If it is as good as everyone here says, I'll probably be kicking myself for waiting so long.

I have the plane, and am putting it together, still waiting for the motor, esc, and batteries to come in.
Looking forward to flying my first "big" electric.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 AM
RoyR

Has anyone come across this while assembling the Revolver 70?
Excuse me if this has been mentioned before, I couldn't find it.
I put the aileron servo in the right wing, connected it to the aileron and the aileron control horn mounted in the middle of the Plywood reinforcement on the aileron.
Working on the left wing just before drilling the hole in the aileron for the horn, I noticed it was barely on the plywood.
I measured everything and found that the cutout for the servo bay on the Left wing was a half inch farther inboard than the right wing. I'm sure it won't affect the flying, except maybe having to add weight for lateral CG, but it is annoying that they cut out the servo bay wrong on the left wing.
Is this a common problem?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
wjcalhoun

Hi Roy
Mine were identical; i have not seen that problem
So you are saying that the servo bay cutout in the wing (box in the foam) is not symmetrical?

Old 12-28-2012, 12:28 PM
RoyR

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Hi Roy
Mine were identical; i have not seen that problem
So you are saying that the servo bay cutout in the wing (box in the foam) is not symmetrical?

Exactly. I measured and found the cutout on the left wing to be 1/2 closer inboard than the right wing. I also held the wings together aligned with the inboard rib and it was obvious they were different.

I installed the servo in the right wing and the control rod ended up in the center of the reinforcement on the aileron. I put the servo in the left wing and saw that the horn would be on the very inner edge of the plywood reinforcement.

I have written Great Planes to see what can be done.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 PM
orthobird

i did not have that in either two of my revolver 70s
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 PM
orthobird

update on telemetry
my system came in today, and i've been playing with it.

there is free app you can upload for Spektrum telemetry

on my iphone, i can see all the data

i have got following:
1. rpm (dont know yet how well this will work or how accurate it will be
2. cylinder head temp
3. receiver pack voltage
4. ignition battery voltage
5. GPS (dont know how well this will be= altitude, ground speed.
will keep you all posted
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69450.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1834384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70717.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1834385  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 PM
lopflyers

Wow, the neat part is the earpiece and that it would talk to you. 
I knew of this iPhone app but I thought it was a debriefing. If you can get the data at the flight line it's awesome[X(]
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 PM
orthobird

yes, it gives you data real time.  if you do not want to use a ear piece, it will repeat all the parameters on a set interval that you program, every 30 seconds or 60 seconds, let's say.
also, if you have a friend next to you, while you fly, they can look at the numbers.
also, you can program alarms, let's say, head temp gets over 200, it will start to buzz, if receiver pack voltage starts to drop under a level you program, then it will make a different warning sound, etc....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.