Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Help with a LIPO IM lost

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Dr Power 313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a LIPO IM lost

well im here agin cuz im lost with understanding lipos

and i have a few Q's

1 when setting up the LVC on a esc in a truck or car and it says most set a 3.4 volts now would i double that for a 2s lipos to 6.8?

and i have the onyx 235 lipo charger and i uses 5000 mAh batts should i charge them at 5 amps or lower

the c rating on my lipos range between 25 c an forthy

and i have a lipos that had a crappy case hard case btw and its opened i taped it closed but im scared to run it any and all advice would help?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Help with a LIPO IM lost

Yes, double the 3.4 since it is a "per cell" spec , but esc probably does the math for you especially on an "auto" cell count. If it's a manual setting then you need to give it the actual number of 6.8 volts.

You can charge the 5 ah packs at 5 amps easy enough on the Onyx 235.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Dr Power 313

Thanks Guver... that explanes why i had a lipo puff out today
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When setting the LVC on an esc you set it "Per Cell" with no adding or multiplying, the esc does all that. The esc will look at the total voltage of the pack, figure out the number of cells from there and divide to come up with an average voltage per cell. The only way you'll fool an esc into thinking there's more or less cells than there are is if your pack is messed up with a dead cell, over discharged or overcharged. The minimum LVC setting is 3.0 volts per cell, 3.2 is a safer setting and 3.4 is even safer. This gives some wiggle room in case theres a weaker cell that discharges faster and to help make sure the weaker cell doesn't drop below 3.0 since the esc averages voltage. The esc will average the voltage it sees whether it is in auto or not. Telling it how many cells are connected just tells the esc what to divide by instead of letting it figure out cell count on its own.

I find it highly unlikely your LVC settinga are to blame for the puffed pack. An LVC set too low can cause puffing at times if the puffed cell was already weak and drained too low because the average voltage prevented the lvc from kicking in. But the cell would have to be alot weaker than the others for this too happen. More likely is the vehicle was demanding more current than the pack could provide due to setup, running conditions, pack health or pack not strong enough for the vehicle to begin with.

As for your Hard Case pack. The only real danger in opening one is damaging the foil of the cells. Hardcase packs are lined with really strong double sided tape inside, opening the hard case can pull the foil off the cells and possibly tear it. If the hardcase opened on its own thats most likely because the pack puffed. Sometimes puffed packs can still be used once they go back down, but they're usually never the same.

All Lipos should be charged at at least 1c. For a 5000mah pack 1c would be 5amps, totally safe. There are some packs out there that are capaple of being charged at more than 1c and will say so on the label. Charging at less than 1c is possible, however most manufacturers don't seem to recommend it, I don't know why and if any damage will result though.