Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM
bdog1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

Hey Craig :The plane club I belong to got caught up in the pick a better date trap.
Historically the area clubs all had different set weekends for their large airshow, My club decided to change their airshow date because of the previous year's -[bad weather/poor attendance/conflict with other local events/wrong phase of the moon ect] it has not worked out well ....
Make your choice best as you can ,Trust in your choice , some will not be able to make it- they will be missed,
some will make it- they will have a great time
You have built the best running site in NY -They will come
Just my 2 cents
bd
Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM
parshallboatworks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All sealed up and ready to close this puppy up!!! Bob brought goodies over today to do the strut,rudder,trim tabs,pipe exit in transom,water outlet nipple..... ready to finish hardware,mount engine,and seal hull for paint!!
Craig, i agree w/ mike... cant please everybody... set the date,and they will come to the "chosen spot"to race..... my 2 cents...I would love to see Roger be able to participate, but chances are any weekend you pick someone will miss out...
the only good change i've seen in the airplane club on dates was moving the float fly from spring to end of summer,then to stoney pond!!!! the nicest place to race boats and fly off water!!! BTW.. THANKS...I am skipping the annual aniversary weekend at Campbell Campgrounds with wife and no kids(huge weekend for Watkins Glenn race campers BTW) to go to "the big race.... hoping Sarah will camp and cheer too....
Rick
Old 12-28-2012, 08:03 PM
parshallboatworks

Hey guys, when I second coat the underside of top deck with West System 105 can I also glue it down to hull at same time or should i wait till resin dries and 30min epoxy the deck down????? thanks,
Rick
Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

ORIGINAL: parshallboatworks

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Does anyone use spray foam inside the tub ? I like to be able to remove my pool noodle ,If needed no so with foam spray ,one could trap water behind the spray foam & boat hull. ,never getting it out. JMO At the end of the season pull your noodle ,to dry. Don't pull your OTHER noodle, ==you may like to pull on it too much and go blind.
LMAO...maby thats why i DONT SEE SO GOOD anymore!!![img][/img].. The spray foam expands too much and will distort hull.. also the thinners and propellent will sometimes react with epoxy... I used spray foam in origional PAY N PAK in 76 or 77 and it was a mess.. I learned the hard way,after hull was sealed,and deck on, it continued to react inside and loosened epoxy then gained a lot of water weight... NOT GOOD.. ZIPPKITS KNOWS what they are saying when the recomend against it!! And i like to pull my noodle out alot...[img][/img],just to keep it dry.....[img][/img]LOL, JUST SAYIN...
Rick

I've seen a hull literally blow apart from that stuff so, consequently, I always discourage it's use in any build
Old 12-29-2012, 09:14 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: bdog1

Hey Craig :The plane club I belong to got caught up in the pick a better date trap.
Historically the area clubs all had different set weekends for their large airshow, My club decided to change their airshow date because of the previous year's -[bad weather/poor attendance/conflict with other local events/wrong phase of the moon ect] it has not worked out well ....
Make your choice best as you can ,Trust in your choice , some will not be able to make it- they will be missed,
some will make it- they will have a great time
You have built the best running site in NY -They will come
Just my 2 cents
bd
I gotta go along with BD leave it the way it is. We don't need to go chasing dates. Just thinking out loud. The finger lakes has so much going on in the summer. Gotta love that. We will do OK
Old 12-29-2012, 09:52 AM
parshallboatworks

Hey guys, when I second coat the underside of top deck with West System 105 can I also glue it down to hull at same time or should i wait till resin dries and 30min epoxy the deck down????? thanks,
Rick
ok i am doing second coat on bottomside of deck, be nice to know if i am safe to glue it to hull with west....
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Blackout

Rick
ok i am doing second coat on bottomside of deck, be nice to know if i am safe to glue it to hull with west....
Sorry Rick, I'm not sure. The only reason I can see not to do it is if the West epoxy is too thin. The 30 min hobby epoxy is usually thicker. I bond with West all the time, but I usually add a little thickener.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Blackout

Thanks for the support guys! The August 10,11 date will stay.

We are still waiting to see whether the August 10,11 race will be the D1 Championship Race or our 1st Annual Great Laker Invitational. Hopefully we will know soon.

Either way, separate from the normal heat racing trophies, we will be offering the Great Laker Challenge Cup to the team of racers that accumilate the most points during the weekend of heat racing. This will be a traveling trophy that goes with the winners until next season's race. A plate will be engraved with the winner's names on it and attached to the base of the trophy. Each year a new plate with that year's winners will be added to the trophy.

The purpose of the trophy is to provide some extra competition between the Canadian racers and the U.S. racers, therfore the teams should include racers from the same country. One year the trophy may go to Canada, so the next year, the U.S. racers do their best to bring it back to the states. This should add an extra level of excitement to the weekend of racing. The teams should have atleast 3 racers and must total 6 boats. The teams will need to decide ahead of time which boats they want counted toward the Challenge Cup. There will be many Canadian and U.S. teams competing against each other, so a U.S. team will also be competing against the other U.S. teams and vice versa.

I'm donating the trophy. It will be a nice one.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 PM
bdog1

Just found this,Perfect for a snowy winter nite in central New York...... Maybe Stoney Pond racing 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...VgXC5P8#at=178
Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 PM
parshallboatworks

Sounds like an exciting season at STONEY POND!! All this snow will definately get the inlet to pond running!!
I got the call from Bristol Mountain, will be starting there again(30some yrs off and on) soon.... will limit my shop time..
Bobs deck is on and about ready to start with hardware and running gear.. OH WHATS THIS....

HARK, I see a twin on the bench!!!!!!
Rick
Old 12-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Blackout

Sounds like an exciting season at STONEY POND!! All this snow will definately get the inlet to pond running!!
I got the call from Bristol Mountain, will be starting there again(30some yrs off and on[img][/img]) soon.... will limit my shop time..
Bobs deck is on and about ready to start with hardware and running gear.. OH WHATS THIS....

HARK, I see a twin on the bench!!!!!![img][/img]
Rick
Now that's what I'm talking about!

No worries for the pond filling up. There is a ton of snow and moisture up in the woods.

Been cutting trees down as usual. I can barely get up there with the 50hp Kubota....

I look out back and I can't even tell there is a pond back there.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:37 PM
parshallboatworks

[quote]ORIGINAL: Blackout

I got the call from Bristol Mountain, will be starting there again(30some yrs off and on[img][/img]) soon.... will limit my shop time..

Rick

No worries for the pond filling up. There is a ton of snow and moisture up in the woods.

Been cutting trees down as usual. I can barely get up there with the 50hp Kubota....

I look out back and I can't even tell there is a pond back there.

Ok... now she is straight....... glue it up....LOL.. just sayin!!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 PM
advanced builder

[quote]ORIGINAL: parshallboatworks

[quote]ORIGINAL: Blackout

[quote]ORIGINAL: parshallboatworks

I look out back and I can't even tell there is a pond back there
Looks kinda Elfin like
Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 PM
parshallboatworks

[quote]ORIGINAL: advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Rick

I look out back and I can't even tell there is a pond back there

Ok... now she is straight...[img][/img].... glue it up....[img][/img]LOL.. just sayin!!
Looks kinda Elfin like
LOL... Anything i get from zippkits is nice... this is what my stock looks like... thats what i get for making my own... dont worry neil, i will straighten it out... I WILL stick to buying from Joe from now on... NOT using the stuff i have laying around.. just sayin... it pays to pay for quality...I have 2 kits from Zippkits that are perfect,just wanted to mess up free stuff first before building his.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 PM
parshallboatworks

Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 PM
parshallboatworks

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Thanks guys.

sorry Joe, should have said it was a knock off.... all of your stuff is nice... when i build the Zippkits JAE 45 TWIN I will do a build gallery showing what your stuff looks like... AND say its from ZIPP..
Rick

Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Blackout

Joe's quality is top notch. He's no idiot, if he wants to stay in business he knows he can't sell crap...

With that being said, your copy tub will straighten right up once you jig it and glue the bottom sheet on. That's why we use jigs, if wood was perfectly straight, we wouldn't need jigs...
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM
parshallboatworks

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Joe's quality is top notch. He's no idiot, if he wants to stay in business he knows he can't sell crap...

With that being said, your copy tub will straighten right up once you jig it and glue the bottom sheet on. That's why we use jigs, if wood was perfectly straight, we wouldn't need jigs...
all the kits from him have been sweet!! and he is a great guy... that will do his bussiness alot in itself..
As the JAE .45 and the twin come with no plans, I want to kinda practice so I dont mess up either of his show boats or lynns JAE .45 as I to have to turn out the finest product possible... I have not found any problems in any kit I have built from zipp.. the material and CNC cutting is way way above anything I worked with in the past and even my wife enjoys the manuals... packed full of little sayings that make it fun and allways looking forward to progressing to the next page to see what is next!! Sarah LOL when she saw the comment about gluing the fingers to the hull and having wife help... and having a story to hold against you for life... and the one about"How come you can build a boat in a couple days and the shelf you are building is now 3 yrs old?" LOL that is so true,i have projects like that....

Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Joe Petro

Keep in mind that the 45 and 45 Twin kits have laminated tub sides.
As soon as you glue them together, they will be straight.

Joe
Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Thanks guys.

I was not complaining about the plywood you gave me Free. I am happy to get it and I use it. I even gave some away ,a gift.to a fellow builder. When I asked you for plywood I asked for the scraps. I did say free in the post your referring to. I will continue to use the plywood.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Joe Petro

Let's just drop it...
This is getting way out of hand (and miles away from where it should be).
Old 12-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Canadian LoCo

Congratulations Stony Pond MBC you are the Winners for our draw in the 2013 D1 Championship Race.
so this meens that your the host club for this race on Aug 10th - 11th 2013

Congrats guys
Luc
Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Canadian LoCo

Here we go December 2012 Roostertail.
http://www.impba.net/
Old 12-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Joe Petro

Sweet!

Can't wait!

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.