Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/5 Scale T-34? Sure why not.

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/5 Scale T-34? Sure why not.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Aesops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 Scale T-34? Sure why not.

Hello members of RCU!

While flying into a local airport I saw an old T-34 sitting off the on the side at an FBO. Since a real t-34 goes for 150K plus (for a nice one) Isaid heck what about an RC one.

Enter Google search :RC T-34. Up pops a bunch of T-34 pictures and kits. One particular onecaught my eye. Top Flite's t-34 kit. Enter Second Google Search : Top Flite T-34. Up pops a few members pictures from here as well as the factory pictures from Top Flite.

So after spending 8 hours (no not all at once !) looking through members threads building their T-34 I decided I wanted to do the same.I clearly wont be able to match the skills of some of the members but it will be fun to try!

Anyway I just got back from the hobby shop. Now I know that this may be a noob move but I figured Id try to follow manufacturers directions. (Look up the word "noob" if youre unfamiliar with it). I brought up the list on my phone in the store of what I needed under "Build and field" items associated with the Top Flight T-34 kit.

Walking around the store with the associate the basket started to get heavy! After about $175 bucks I was all set with what I needed to actually start building. Keep in mind I dont even have the actual airplane yet (On order at the hobby shop).

Supplies.

I will keep this build thread alive with pictures every few days. After all who wants to read a full build thread full of only text!?

Anyway here is a scheme I would like to immitate.

I will have a lot of questions and Im sure some of you will have comments. Ideas and comments are all welcome!

-Aesops-
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Aesops

Default RE: 1/5 Scale T-34? Sure why not.

Wow! 40 views and no comments? Bummer. Hope that changes once I get the plane in and start on it. Been looking though some build threads on here and on RCscalebuilder. Some amazing planes.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 PM
A6TEXAN

I for one want you to get started. i think what you're doing is great. im headed to top flite site to gather info on kit now, just so i get familiar with your project. good luck to ya. i am subscribed and will follow along with you to the maiden.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 PM
waynek

Great choice of aircraft.

Good luck with the build.

I look forward to your photos and thoughts as you built the kit.

Wayne
Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

T34 is a great project and a great airplane. Yellow would make a nice color as well, but I do like the military grey! Replying here so I can tag along, and best of luck! (Server error so can not post the yellow example....)
Old 12-28-2012, 02:12 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

My only concern is seeing that fast cure epoxy in the group. I've found that the fast cure tends to "cook off" faster than optimum for construction in most of my projects. For that reason, among others I won't go into, I would recommend using the slow cure almost exclusively in your build
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 AM
dwreel

Subscribed. I like this plane too. A close friend has one dune up in yellow. He did a belly landing once because the Robart valve mount came loose. No problem at all. And no damage to plane. I've got a pic of one trimed out in black and white Air Force colors. Looka great.
Good luck with the build.
dick.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aesops... While you are waiting for your kit, you might consider making yourself some sanding blocks by wrapping and tacking 3-4 grits of sandpaper around ten inch lengths of 1 by 2 inch firring strips. Also stock up on some small clamps and I always have a roll of masking tape around as well.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Aesops,

I have built several Top Flite kits, currently I am working on a TF Cessna 182 I have half built. I have a Sea Fury and a P51D (1/7th) in the wings. You will enjoy the kit!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of us (including me) are probably wondering what other RC models you've built. You seem to be starting from scratch in terms of workshop tools. Anyway, regardless of whether you're an experience builder or a total noob, welcome to the Brotherhood of Scale Builders!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Aesops

Its a bummer there is no mulit quote otion on this forum

Anyway to answer everyones questions/comments....

A6Texan- thanks for the encouragement. It would be a real toss up if I had to choose between owning a T-6 or a T-34 in real life.

Waynek- thanks for the good luck. Ill need it!

Thailazer -  Thanks!  I really like the yellow but something just sits right with me on the grey. plus Im partial to Air Force . Also I have a boat load of sand paper and sanding tools. Just not pictured.

Hydro Junkie- Thanks for the heads up on the epoxi. Ill use the slow cure and return the quick cure for something else. Last thing I want to do is burn through my balsa.

Dwreel - I agree with you and Tailazer, the yellow is stunning. I want to go a different route though with the flat grey

Flyer in OKC- BTW Oklahoma is a cool state! Was born there! I almost got the 182 because it would fly alot like the real 172 I fly now. I just couldnt get away from the T-34. I like them too much.

Abufletcher- Thanks for the welcome! I once built a trainer with my father when I was 10. It was a size .40 or whatever that size is nowadays. Granted he made sure I didnt glue things to my hands, I was able to successufly build the kit and fly it.  Ill get a picture of the trainer once I get home, and of the work shop.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've never built a kit before, just make sure you carefully go through the plans and instructions a few times before you even start the project. It's important that you understand the procedure. Then, follow the instructions carefully. If you have any questions, you can call the Product Support. We have the plans and instructions at hand just to help people like you who are building the model.

Product Support: (217) 398-8970
Email: [email protected]

Of course, you can ask questions here, and in the Top Flite Support Forum in the Kit Building section, here on RCU.

Of course, if you've built kits before, and are just getting back into the swing of things and replenishing your building equipment after a layoff, then you already know all this stuff. We all want you to enjoy the build and then the flying!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Aesops

Bax- thank you for the heads up and for the customer support number. Should I need it I will definately be giving them/you a call.  Its nice to have customer support on a forum, very rare . I am on about 10 different forums for hobbies and only this one and another have some sort of product support.

I have never built one to this size.  Should be fun. Ill be sure to follow the directions carefully and ask many questions. Dumb questions are better than dumb mistakes.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 AM
crustychief

Congratulations on your decision to build the TF T-34. I fly mine from time to time, it has a saito 180, plenty of power for it. There is a gentleman in West Va that is building a very nice model, he can make scale aileron skins and cockpit items. This plane gets heavy quick during the build, mine is 18 pounds dry / 20 wet.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Aesops

Crusty- Ill keep a log on how much the plane weighs at each stage .   I have spoken with said member from WV. His t-34 is gorgeous. I also will most likely get his control surface skins for mine. I like the corrigated look.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:28 AM
ma_mulcahy

I have a TF Bonanza in the queue for a build, so I will be watching your thread with great interest. I am particularly interested in your engine/muffler combination since the nose gear presents some challenges by occupying that very space.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:37 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Aesops
I once built a trainer with my father when I was 10. It was a size .40 or whatever that size is nowadays.
Where are you in terms of your RC flying skills? If you haven't flown anything besides that trainer (when you were 10) then you might want to start accruing some flight time on a low-wing ARF while you're building your T34.

You could even get an ARF of the T34:

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4325
Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Aesops

In terms of skills, I would say not beginner but not intermediate. Somewhere in between. With the trainer I was able to pretty much manhandle it .

I know this isnt realiztic but on the 3D RC simulator at the hobby shop I am able to pretty much pick back up where Ileft off. I have even flown the TF T-34 a few times with the retracts and flaps. She seems to want to balloon/float if too much flaps are applied on base/final approach. Ill probably have to mix some down elevator onto it and keep the power up to keep from stalling but still allow the plane to drop.

Flying in real life has given me some inside on to how larger planes react to inputs. Pitch for speed, power for altitude.

I will most likely dust the trainer off and see if it still works. Fly that for a while while I build the TF. I really like the idea of the 40 ARF T-34 from hanger9. And at only $150 that seems reasonable. Ill just put the engine from the trainer into the hanger 9 t-34. Its an old OS .40 2 stroke. Should work.

Whats everyones preference on Transmitters nowadays? I have an old Futaba 4Ch. I have been looking at the Spektrum 6 channel they have at the hobby shop. Anyone have good luck with these?

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Aesops
I once built a trainer with my father when I was 10. It was a size .40 or whatever that size is nowadays.
Where are you in terms of your RC flying skills? If you haven't flown anything besides that trainer (when you were 10) then you might want to start accruing some flight time on a low-wing ARF while you're building your T34.

You could even get an ARF of the T34:

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4325
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Aesops

After more research it apperas the hanger 9 T-34 arf has been discontinued. Both versions, navy yellow and red/white.

On the phone with Hanger 9 to see if they can locate me one.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Aesops

After some reading. People are purchasing the Nitroplanes T-34. People say its almost exactly like the Hangar 9.

Thoughts on this plane?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/new20cmunatm.html

Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 PM
A6TEXAN

If you build per plans, you will be surprised how light this aircraft ends up for its size. as for power options, my brother has one of these built per plan with an OS 160 two stroke installed and i cant say it was anything blazing fast. also a friend of mine had one totally decked out, it had a Saito 120 four stroke, and it wasnt underpowered. my point is this airframe can handle a wide range of options. hopefully others will respond with their power choices.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
oliveDrab

I like the camo/gray color scheme on the T34B very much but I personally would not put that scheme on an R/C aircraft I was going to fly. Would want something that wouldn't disappear from my eyesight when viewed from the ground. Just my two cents but I would want something on that plane, some color, that would visually pop out to make it easier to track in the sky. Blue fuze, yellow wings - something like that. White with orange.

You can't go wrong with the Top Flite T34B for a kit to build but I would suggest being conscious about weight. If this is your first scale build don't assume you have to glass it simply because you see alot of guys on RCU glassing their planes. I would use Ultracote.

I put .75 ounce cloth with oil-based polyurethane and ended up with a strong, heavy airframe. With an O.S. 1.20 4-stroke for power it was not a blazing fast performer. A Saito 1.80 4-stroke would've been a better choice as heavy as it was.

I sold that plance but I had so much fun building it I would like to do it again. This time I'll build it lighter, cover in Ultracote, then put an AXI 5330/18 electric motor with 10s Lipos. That particular electric power is kinda heavy. There was a guy from Belgium (Netherlands?) whose user name was "Chielles" I think. He had an excellent T34B with landing lights, retracts, everything. His was electric power on 8s. Do a search on "Chielles".

Have fun.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Aesops

Hey guys thanks for all the tips. I am searching for a 40 size arf to throw together but no one seems to have one in stock or they are discontinued.

I will also look into putting an ultrakote on it.  I have never glassed a plane before. Not sure how difficult it is. I may try it on a few other things before putting it on the plane.  We'll have to see.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:13 PM
TFF

I have not built one but a friend has the Bonanza that has won a couple of scale contests and there is at least one TF T34 at my rc field. They fly great. TF kits are pretty easy as far as kits go because they work hard at making things fit within reason. I think My friends Bonanza is about 15 lbs with glass finish OS 1.20AX and custom Pitts muffler. It does not have to be too heavy.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:06 PM
airboss45

Aesops, Go-for-it! you will enjoy the build and when your done how well the plane flies. i know guys that went with a Saito 100 4 stroke for engine or even a magnum. they all sound great. just get some stick fly time first with another plane. get to know your club members and those that are advanced in r/c flying for the maiden flight. looking forward to seeing your build. T-34 Great plane for sure. don

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.