Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Why don't many people build RC kits any more, Part Deux

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why don't many people build RC kits any more, Part Deux

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Why don't many people build RC kits any more, Part Deux

I have about fifty kits in my stock right now.
Yes Ron, you have reached the tipping point. From here forward, you will not be able to keep track of the number and will start finding kits stashed away that you forgot even buying.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 AM
brockettman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, guess I might as well chime in. It seems that all of the posts will be speculation if we try to answer "Why don't many people build RC kits anymore" for someone other than our self.

So, if I were to not build from kits anymore (I'm too impatient to build from scratch), I suppose these would be some reasons:

1. I'm impatient
2. I have other interests to occupy my time
3. Building a kit version of a plane that is available in an ARF can be more expensive.
4. When I start a project I'm gung -ho, but after a while I loose that excitement and it can be a chore to get motivated again.
5. I don't like covering, I'm getting better at it but it's my least favorite part of the build.

I love ARFs. Opening up a box and seeing that beautiful new airplane ready for a little bit of glue and a few screws.... Pretty simple.

I love this hobby! Building and flying...

Build well!
Ben

Old 12-29-2012, 08:43 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sensei

I still do allot of building but I sure miss going to the hobby shop having all those kit choices right at my finger tips.

Bob

Well, sure, you went to the hobby shop and they had kits. But the way the kits get to the hands of the buyers have changed. Period. We have to adapt. The kits are still out there waiting to be purchased.

Last night (maybe it was something I ate) I felt the sudden urge to build a Pitenpol. So I did some research, and soon enough I found a kit cutter that had the size I wanted, and at a reasonable price.

There are some small companies that manufacture kits, that you will not find in the LHS. I think that the problem is not the lack of availability of kits. Nope, you just have to look harder. Now it is very possible that with time, the "big names" will stop manufacturing kits altogether. For a while, because someone small will start manufacturing them. After all we live in a market economy. If there is a need, there will be a supplier. Yes there are smaller number of builders, but the niche market will always be there. Maybe the timewill come where you will only be able to get balsa from 2 or 3 places, so be it. There always will be a demand for it.

I have a Balsa USA and a Sig clipped wing. Would I build another one? No, I most probably would get the new Horizon 1/4 scale PA-18 if I urgently NEED a PA-18 1/4 scale. On the other hand, yes, I would build any WWI Balsa USA 1/4 or 1/3 kits. Well, maybe I would build a 1/3 scale PA-!8:-)

This is not only a wonderful hobby, there is something for everyone. The secret is to have fun with whatever we do. But, like every other activity in life, you have jackarses that think that only what they do is of value, or what they do is better, etc. We see them in all walks of life. They cannot help themselves, I guess you have to treat them like trees (you walk around a tree, and keep going).

Gerry
Old 12-29-2012, 08:57 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: brockettman

Well, guess I might as well chime in. It seems that all of the posts will be speculation if we try to answer ''Why don't many people build RC kits anymore'' for someone other than our self.

So, if I were to not build from kits anymore (I'm too impatient to build from scratch), I suppose these would be some reasons:

1. I'm impatient
3. Building a kit version of a plane that is available in an ARF can be more expensive.
4. When I start a project I'm gung -ho, but after a while I loose that excitement and it can be a chore to get motivated again.
5. I don't like covering, I'm getting better at it but it's my least favorite part of the build.

I love ARFs. Opening up a box and seeing that beautiful new airplane ready for a little bit of glue and a few screws.... Pretty simple.

Build well!
Ben

Ben, I'm with you when it comes to covering. I bought the "Mr Monkote" video to gain some pointers, but covering still remains a boring chore. I'd love to visit an ARF factory just to see how many planes they can get covered by lunch time. Imagine doing nothing but that day in and day out.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:21 AM
impulse09

For me a kit is something that isn't 80-90% pre-built, and I get to "put glue" on all the parts. This includes scratch built (haven't done that yet), kits, partial fiberglass (Ziroli) doodads, etc. I think I can build a better product than the majority of the ARF builders (the factory guys, not the end-user), so I build (think quality control here). What I currently own is about 50/50 between ARF/ARC and kits. Guess which ones I have to repair more often after normal use.

They do have me on covering schemes though.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 AM
EscapeFlyer

I think people still do build RC kits. Those that can be located or purchased. Not a whole lot of options out there in terms of kits.

But there is a growing population of people stepping out into plans building, and the lazer cutting and cad business has helped us out tremendously.

I am one of those builders who may have originally had a chip on my shoulder against the ARF world. The reason that part of the hobby no longer bothers me is because I have benefited from it myself. Have assembled and flown several, I have gleaned knowledge and ideas making kit and plans building even more enjoyable.

Sometimes it is difficult to see that other people have significant and good reason to do what they wish. I ignored that because I KNEW what is best for everyone else. The truth is, I know what is best for me, not you.

I now get more upset when I see opinions pushed on other people just because the technology is old. Not because it doesn't work, but just because it is old. I go 3 shades of ugly when I see that. The reality is that most of that technology is too labor intensive and ARF manufacturers would lose money pursuing it... but not because it does not work.

I like to get excited for other people that have something they are proud of regardless of its origin. There is just something a little extra special- for me, from a personal crafted kit, and even more so from someone that has designed and built their own creation... a true built from scratch and personal ideas built airplane. But this does not decrease the significance of another's pride and joy.

"We airplane guys need to stick together." My mentor, Jon Wenzel, told me that a lot. I agree.

Brian
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

I still do allot of building but I sure miss going to the hobby shop having all those kit choices right at my finger tips.

Bob

Well, sure, you went to the hobby shop and they had kits. But the way the kits get to the hands of the buyers have changed. Period. We have to adapt. The kits are still out there waiting to be purchased.

Last night (maybe it was something I ate) I felt the sudden urge to build a Pitenpol. So I did some research, and soon enough I found a kit cutter that had the size I wanted, and at a reasonable price.

There are some small companies that manufacture kits, that you will not find in the LHS. I think that the problem is not the lack of availability of kits. Nope, you just have to look harder. Now it is very possible that with time, the ''big names'' will stop manufacturing kits altogether. For a while, because someone small will start manufacturing them. After all we live in a market economy. If there is a need, there will be a supplier. Yes there are smaller number of builders, but the niche market will always be there. Maybe the timewill come where you will only be able to get balsa from 2 or 3 places, so be it. There always will be a demand for it.

I have a Balsa USA and a Sig clipped wing. Would I build another one? No, I most probably would get the new Horizon 1/4 scale PA-18 if I urgently NEED a PA-18 1/4 scale. On the other hand, yes, I would build any WWI Balsa USA 1/4 or 1/3 kits. Well, maybe I would build a 1/3 scale PA-!8:-)

This is not only a wonderful hobby, there is something for everyone. The secret is to have fun with whatever we do. But, like every other activity in life, you have jackarses that think that only what they do is of value, or what they do is better, etc. We see them in all walks of life. They cannot help themselves, I guess you have to treat them like trees (you walk around a tree, and keep going).

Gerry
Yes you are right, but I still miss it sometimes. I never really went to the hobby shop for the single purpose of buying a kit, but if I saw one I liked, it was on its way home with me that day. That is probably why I have not built a kit since 2006, now I have done several scratch built in that time frame though.

Bob
Old 12-29-2012, 10:59 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: impulse09

They do have me on covering schemes though.
Figure that the covering scheme is given more time and consideration by the marketeers [than many of us would take for a home built]. I imagine renderings are done to come up with the most appealing designs that can be applied economically by the mfgs. It's nice to keep an album of handsome designs and color combos.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:22 PM
bullseye000

I still build quite a bit, my kit stash is getting rather low these days. I don't build as many as I used to though. Used to be able to build a kit, cover it, then sell it off. These days however balsa prices are obscene and the cost of a roll of Ultracote is close to $15.00. With the economics I just don't build as many even though it's half the hobby for me. To each his own though I won't look down my nose at someone because they choose not to build. The conversation at the field is just as engaging with those who build as well as with those who don't.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:51 PM
hairy46

Just starting to get into the scatch building. Have very much injoyed the kit building but want to move on to plan building. Does anyone know where I can get the plans for the Spirit of St. Louis? Or even a kit on that plane!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Do RC helicopter kits count?
I've built a few of those.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have about 100 kits on the shelf. Been collecting them since I was in college. I build about 2 a year, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on whats up. I just finished another Sporster 60 with retracts and a pipe, and a telemaster bashed into a twin to carry my gopro.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:29 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

Bob

There are some small companies that manufacture kits, that you will not find in the LHS. I think that the problem is not the lack of availability of kits. Nope, you just have to look harder. Now it is very possible that with time, the ''big names'' will stop manufacturing kits altogether. For a while, because someone small will start manufacturing them. After all we live in a market economy. If there is a need, there will be a supplier. Yes there are smaller number of builders, but the niche market will always be there. Maybe the timewill come where you will only be able to get balsa from 2 or 3 places, so be it. There always will be a demand for it.

Gerry
Yes you are right, but I still miss it sometimes. I never really went to the hobby shop for the single purpose of buying a kit, but if I saw one I liked, it was on its way home with me that day. That is probably why I have not built a kit since 2006, now I have done several scratch built in that time frame though.

Bob

Bob, that is the reason I attended the Wram show for decades. You could see the new kits assembled... I also attend war bird meets, and there you see fly all kits you can imagine... But, of course, it depends how far you are to events like these....

Gerry
Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

Well, I just was going through an old 1989 Tower Catalog looking for an airplane I acquired and now recovering. Turns out it is a PT-40, the new ones are a bit different from the old. Anyhow looking at all the kits they use to offer, I would suggest if you see a kit you want or might want in the future get it now! Chances are it won't be there when you want it, so much of it is gone .

Who said hoarding is wrong .
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

As I said before. I build, and will always build. However I am mainly frustrated that kits have been left in the shadows by many of the larger R/C suppliers. Someone mentioned something that I have thought of often...."why don'f the ARF mfg's just set aside some parts and sell them as kits?"

I have to believe that its due to the fact that in order to build an arf on a production line, they are set up to be built on a jig, and not really on a building board. It would probably necessitate a complete re-design to convert some ARF's to a "kit built" type of procedure. Just a thought.

I like building, just because it gives me a sense of accomplishment. And I can cover it however I want, and I won't see another one at the field.

Dave
Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 PM
ssautter

Hobby shop inventory is a huge factor, also, when deciding to build, or fly an ARF or even RTF.

Some hobby shop owners just don't stock anything that won't sell to the average customer, and unfortunately this excludes balsa/ply kits.

Longtime enthusiasts know exactly what to look for on the internet; however, a newbie really should find a suitable retailer, to see firsthand, what they will be spending their money on.

And, to the best ofmy knowledge, Horizon Hobbies no longer offers a single kit balsa/ply kit, which offers nothing for the hobby shops who prefer stocking HH products and not GP products. To remain objective: HH finally released their first Blade Heli kit, the 550.

Economics aside: cost/benefit is another factor. Static scores and "builder of the model" rules will certainly require a competition model to be built from a kit or from scratch. But, if the event centers around flying "in the box" it is more than acceptable to fly an ARF.

One other scenario not always considered is the foamie or SPAD design. GWS, for example, offers many pre-molded foam kits that don't require a built-up structure; yet, do allow for a considerable amount of construction and customization. Profile Foamies and Simple Plastic Airplane Designs can be "scratch built" without the extra shop space needed for bench tools. These suggestions can help apartment dwellers and home owners without a garage or basement, to expand their building skills and fly unique models.

And, even ARFs require maintenance and repair. Todays ARF flyers will be tomorrow's kit builders, if the veteran builders don't thumb their noses!

Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, guess I might as well chime in. It seems that all of the posts will be speculation if we try to answer "Why don't many people build RC kits anymore" for someone other than our self.

1. I'm impatient

Build well!
Ben

I must disagree with item No. 3. I just ordered all the wood, hardward and misc parts for my next two planes (60 size) for less than $100.00.

I know my hardware will be better than I've seen in any ARF. Also, I will have a plane that no one else will have when I go to the field to fly. I know the construction will be better than found with any ARF. I won't have to spend time trying to get glue to all those hidden areas where the Chinese manufacturer used "hot" glue.

I don't really like covering either, but at least it won't be just like all the other planes at the field.

ARFs are OK for the beginner that doesn't have the skill to build. But then again, none of us did when we started. When I started, we didn't have the internet. Building was trial and error. Most times or not, it was error. But we continued and we would have little contests to see whose could fly the highest, farthest, fastest and longest. We all had fun and made a lot of friends. At the end of the day we would go home and return to our litttle work space and dream up another plane to build. (not to a video game)

With todays ARFs a nooby can get into the air faster and learn faster. Sooner or later he'll become a builder and enjoy his modelling hobby even more.

Frank
I've been modelling for over 50 years

Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Just starting to get into the scatch building. Have very much injoyed the kit building but want to move on to plan building. Does anyone know where I can get the plans for the Spirit of St. Louis? Or even a kit on that plane!
This is the only plans , for the Spirit, that I'm aware of. http://www.ziroliplans.com/zirolipla..._frameset.html

It's large, but oh, so cool !

Edit: Don't know what happened. Open the link, and click on the plans section.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: frets24 Just out of curiosity; Where does a plane that comes in a box as a fiberglass fuselage and v.stab with a bunch of loose ribs and spars for a stick built wing and h.stab fall? (ie. some Ziroli offerings) Would that be an ARF kit? (arf fuse/kit wing?) How about if the wing and stab were foam core? Then does one get to say they ''built'' the wing any more so than some of the guys who re-sheet or just plain sheet an open or semi-open constrction arf wing?
Almost Ready to Fly (ARF) means that will a small amount of additional work, the plane is ready to fly. These tasks are usually gluing wing halves together, installing the stabilizer, other minor tasks such as mounting the landing gear, installing the servo tray and radio gear, pushrods and etc., but the building is already done. Almost Ready to Cover (ARC) is similar, except the exterior of the plane needs a finish applied (iron on covering, painting, and etc.)

A gel coated fuselage still needs to have the halves glued together, bulkheads installed, manufacturer's structural strengthening installed. There is more work to it than an ARF. A kit with foam wings doesn't necessarily qualify as an ARF, particularly if there is more labor involved than in an ARF.

So, just because there are preformed fuselage sides as in the case of fiberglass shells or foam wings, doesn't necessarily mean it is an ARF.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 AM
brockettman

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Well, guess I might as well chime in. It seems that all of the posts will be speculation if we try to answer ''Why don't many people build RC kits anymore'' for someone other than our self.

1. I'm impatient

Build well!
Ben

Ben, I'm with you when it comes to covering. I bought the ''Mr Monkote'' video to gain some pointers, but covering still remains a boring chore. I'd love to visit an ARF factory just to see how many planes they can get covered by lunch time. Imagine doing nothing but that day in and day out.
I bought an ARC one time... What was I thinking!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 AM
hairy46

Thank you!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM
brockettman

ORIGINAL: countilaw

1. I'm impatient

Build well!
Ben

I must disagree with item No. 3. I just ordered all the wood, hardward and misc parts for my next two planes (60 size) for less than $100.00.

I know my hardware will be better than I've seen in any ARF. Also, I will have a plane that no one else will have when I go to the field to fly. I know the construction will be better than found with any ARF. I won't have to spend time trying to get glue to all those hidden areas where the Chinese manufacturer used ''hot'' glue.

I don't really like covering either, but at least it won't be just like all the other planes at the field.

ARFs are OK for the beginner that doesn't have the skill to build. But then again, none of us did when we started. When I started, we didn't have the internet. Building was trial and error. Most times or not, it was error. But we continued and we would have little contests to see whose could fly the highest, farthest, fastest and longest. We all had fun and made a lot of friends. At the end of the day we would go home and return to our litttle work space and dream up another plane to build. (not to a video game)

With todays ARFs a nooby can get into the air faster and learn faster. Sooner or later he'll become a builder and enjoy his modelling hobby even more.

Frank
I've been modelling for over 50 years

Hi Frank,

I agree that a lot of the ARF guys will become builders after awhile.

The scratch builders can definitely build a plane for less money than buying a pre-packaged kit, and sometimes you can get your pre-packaged kit in the air for about the same or less money than an ARF, however I just bought a Top Flight Corsair 60 ARF for the same price as the kit.

I usually spend quite a bit on hardware, tires, tanks, covering and whatnot adding to my cost of building. Gotta be more frugal!

Build well!

Ben
Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 AM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

I have been in this hobby for close to 40 years, started when I was 12. I have built my share of kit planes, too many to remember them all. I have also plan built about a half dozen or so. Lately I prefer to build the ARF's. Time is very limited and assembling an ARF still takes me several weeks due to the mods I feel are needed during the build. At one time I wouldn't consider a foamie airplane but they have come so far that I now own quite a few. To me it is all about the thrill of flight, does not matter how I get there.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't have any problem with any member expressing their views and beliefs, and I do not moderate based on any given point of view. However, when members start attacking each other instead of discussing the issue in a calm, civil, and mature manner then I will step in. I don't care what side of a discussion a person takes, when they start attacking members that they don't agree with then that is when I am going to take actions against them. I do not suppress any point of view with my moderation. However, if a member cannot give his point of view without attacking others that he doesn't agree with, then he is not going to be allowed to post here. It's just that simple. Discuss the issue without attacking others or you won't be discussing the issue here on RCU. This applies to everybody here on RCU, not just certain people with a certain viewpoint.

Ken

ORIGINAL: essyou35

Let me get this right. He starts the thread again and specifically says that arfs are evil. And you dont see that as the issue of causing the arguments? Thats exactly what the fuss is about, that attitude and I will always rebut it.

You can ban me whatever, your are simply taking sides and allowing one group to bash another, and supressing another group from responding.

ORIGINAL: RCKen

When I close a thread down I do so for very good reasons. I don't do it on a whim and I don't do it just because I was in a funky mood. There are a variety of reasons why I close down a thread, but you can rest assured that a lot of thought goes into to the decision to close a thread. In most cases a thread is closed because I feel that the members have no intentions of abiding by the rules of RCU and playing nicely. That was the case when I closed down the original thread on this subject. If one or two members of a thread are causing problems I will normally deal with those members and not punish the entire thread. But in this case there were so many people involved with the thread being dragged down the easiest course of action was to close the entire thread.
Normally when I do shut down a thread I don't allow members to restart the thread, for whatever reason. In most cases like this I would simply close down any additional threads started back up. However, in this case I'm going to give this subject one more chance as I think it's a subject to be discusses. But, I'm going to put out a warning here and now, and I would suggest that all those that this affects to heed my warning this time as I am not going to be playing any games.
For those that were causing all the problems that got the first thread shut down (and you know who you are), I would suggest that you refrain from participating in this thread.... period. You have already proven that you can't discuss the issue at hand without resorting attacking those that you don't agree with. On the other hand if you do choose to participate in this discussion I would suggest that you make sure you follow all of RCU's rules. Because if I see any more of the immature childish crap I saw in the last thread you will be placed on Moderated Status and will stay there for a very long time!! Plain and simple. If you can't abide by RCU's rules you will be put into a status where we can watch what you do and say on our forums. I'm tired of seeing the actions of a few that can't seem to work and play well with others spoil a thread for everybody else on RCU. It's your choice about how we proceed from here on out, but please do not think that I won't do what I say here.
For everybody else that wants to discuss this issue, I apologize that I have to make statements like this in public. But unfortunately there are a few here that think they are above the rules and can do whatever they want.
Ken
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Thx Ken. Perhaps I should clarify. 

I meant 'necessary evil' from an economics and cultural outlook. From an economics standpoint because (seemingly overnight) it was possible for an entrepreneur to take a design overseas, have it built, covered, packaged and containered at a price very competitive to the kit. From the cultural standpoint because, here in the US, the culture leans toward instant gratification and getting  ahead of the Joneses, as opposed to merely keeping up with them. The former has led to an early demise of the kit industry here IMO, and the latter just isn't my approach to life in general. 

In no way am I bashing ARFs (except in the basement ), in fact I have a few great ARFs that were never available as kits. My Tango is one such example, tho I attempted to re-kit (re-ARF?) it on its last outing. Fuse totaled, pondering buying vs. scratch a new one. 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.