Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Wiring an ESC

Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring an ESC

This is a very basic question from an absolute newbie to electric power. I think I have all the components to assemble an electric powered plane. Included is a 40 amp ESC that came with instructions on how to program it but not how to wire it. The three wires that obviously go to the motor are all black while the wires from the motor are red, blue and black. Does this mean that it doesn't matter how they are connected? Can I take any one of the black wires and hook it to any color from the motor without making any difference? Also, why is there a short shaft on the end of the motor that is mounted to the firewall or motor mount? Does that shaft turn when the motor is runnng? If so, why? What is it hooked to?

I apologize for asking such simple questions, but a guy's gotta start somewhere.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
ByLoudDesign

Default RE: Wiring an ESC

It make little difference which of the motor wire go to which ESC wire. But if the motor turns the wrong way reverse one pair of wires!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 PM
jdetray

The shaft protruding from the back side of the motor is simply the other end of the prop shaft. It is one continuous shaft that passes completely through the motor from front to back. So yes, it turns when the motor is running.

As ByLoudDesign said, connect the three wires from the ESC to the three wires from the motor is any order. If the motor turns in the wrong direction, swap any two of the three wires. Note that some ESCs can be programmed to reverse the direction the motor spins, thereby saving you the chore of swapping the ESC-to-motor wires.

Use care when testing your motor with the prop in place. If the motor starts up unexpectedly, the plane can suddenly fly across the room, or (worse) the spinning prop can attack your fingers! As far as possible, do your testing without the prop.

- Jeff
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

If you are totally new, this on-line book might be helpful.