Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 PM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

If you do a search on the Net you will come up with a lot of very usefull information that will help you build ,set up , fly , with just about anything to do with float flying ... I printed out a scrap book of information yrs ago that I still refrence ... Search RC Float Flying That will help you with much better information than I could ever hope too...
Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 AM
crustychief

ORIGINAL: G.P.

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

Oh that is great news..I sure feels good to be treated with respect and in an honest manner..It is sad to say but I think we almost expect to get treated poorly when we have payed our money....Make sure to let us know how the new ones fit...I tried the fit of the ailerons and flaps in my broken wing and they fit like a glove....So I am pretty confident when I get my new wing they will fitt properly...I am betting when you get your new ones the fit will be much better...Did you do much adjusting to the holes in the wing in an attempt to make them line up?
Yeah I know what you mean. I looked to see if I could just order the parts on my own before I called them. It's usually faster, easier, and cheaper (if they make you ship the old parts back) than going through the warranty. Horizon was great though.

I didn't do anything to the holes. I realized that if I lined up both ends of the aileron that the recessed hing on the aileron wouldn't fit in the recess in the wing anymore. Modifying the wing recess sounded like I would be opening up a can of worms. I also realized that using the wrong aileron could possibly add wash-in to the wing as well, so that would be a recipe for disaster. The only thing that I could see doing was possibly removing the aileron skin, twisting the aileron to where it needed to be, and regluing the skins.

Are you an avid float flyer? I have set up a couple of float planes and from what I have read the top of the float should be level with the bottom of the wing, or possibly even have some positive incedence on the wing compared to the float. Most of the pics that I have seen of the 1/4 H9 floats on the J3 look like the wing has negative incedence compared to the floats (floats look like the front is up too high). I recently saw some pics of the super cub on the H9 floats, and it looks the same. Do you think there would be any negative side effects if I rig the H9 floats to be more scale?

Photos showing what I am trying to explain - full scale looks like the floats are pointed down compared to the wing a lot more, which I thought was supposed to help with getting off of the water -

Pics will have to wait, I keep getting a server error message.
That Plane belongs to a friend of mine, he also has a 2003 PA18! He also has about 50 RC airplanes in his hangar dangling from the ceiling.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 AM
crustychief

Hangar pic
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 AM
crustychief

second attempt

ORIGINAL: crustychief

Hangar pic
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 AM
corvettez06
My Feedback: (8)

50 planes! And my wife thought I was crazy!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:42 AM
crustychief

Ok I suck.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 AM
crustychief

http://s671.beta.photobucket.com/use...294bb.jpg.html

Maybe this will work.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Jaybird

All of the larger glow RC float planes I have are set up similar to model picture with the "tips set high" rather than as seen on the full scale. I have a Hangar 9 80" J-3 on floats originally set up similar to the full size with the tips low and found it to be very pitch sensitive in the air. I changed the angle to slightly tips high and it didn't seem to affect the water handling but did make it much more stable in the air.

Just my 2 cents. There are a lot of resources available as mentioned before.

Jaybird
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM
G.P.
My Feedback: (1)

Crusty, that is the sweetest hangar/garage I have ever seen that doesn't involve Red Bull sponsorship! Nice.

Thanks for all of the info everyone. Not sure what to do about the floats. They appear to work really well as designed by H9, but all of the info that I've found all say that the wing should be set at a postive angle compared to the float. Kind of bugs me when I see high float tips on an RC too. I may try some spacers between the fuse and the floats to see how it works before I do anything permanent.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 PM
bikerbc

I have the Hanger 9 1/5 scale Cub with the Hanger 9 floats and it is not set up with the floats at a positive angle to the wing..The wing is slightly positive to the floats....I also have them on a Saratoga...The wing on the Saratoga is slightly positive to the floats as well....There is a few different sets of float mounting gear because I have a few different one and there is some that you can solder together yourself ...The ones that I have came with the floats I ordered for the Saratoga....They work great....On a flat bottom wing like the Cub has I always set it up with the wing 3 degrees positive to the top of the float.......I am going to set my PA 18 up with the wing 3 degrees positive to the top of the floats...
Old 12-27-2012, 12:48 PM
bikerbc

I called Product Support at Horizion and asked if the bung in the fuel tank was gasoline compatable and they assured me that it is but the fuel line is not and must be replaced with Tygon....I also tryed to find out about getting replacement elastic bands for the landing gear and found out that it is not possible....That is too bad because their bands are tougher than a pigs nose and go back to there same size real well..Any of the bands I can find break easier and when you strech them out they only come back part way...I really would like to find a sourse for the bands that come with the plane...
Old 12-27-2012, 12:53 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

I'd reccomend Viton in the tank with a Poulin ceramic clunk if you want hassle free tank life, or better yet, a fiji bottle with conversion.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
bbrundle
My Feedback: (40)

Guys,

The 1/4 Scale Hangar 9 floats were designed such that the wings airfoil centerline is 3 ° positive to the top line of the floats. This design allows for the floats to rise up on the float step quite easily which then gives the pilot the ability to drive the model around on the water where desired and will only become airborne with the application of up elevator.

Look forward to seeing more of you guys give float flying a try.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM
G.P.
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bbrundle

Guys,

The 1/4 Scale Hangar 9 floats were designed such that the wings airfoil centerline is 3 ° positive to the top line of the floats. This design allows for the floats to rise up on the float step quite easily which then gives the pilot the ability to drive the model around on the water where desired and will only become airborne with the application of up elevator.

Look forward to seeing more of you guys give float flying a try.

Thanks for the info bbrundle! They do appear to work really well in all of the videos that I've seen.

[8D]
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 PM
bbrundle

Thanks G.P. it is always nice to hear compliments on our products.

It was really enjoyable learning more about float design during the development back in '07 and I assure you I am not the float expert by any means.

I did a fair amount of testing and modifications on the design and in the end I believe the floats do work quite well.

Earlier this year I made a minor modification to the internal lower keel structure of our production floats in my quest to always try to improve our products using feedback from all of our customers and dealers. I am planning to have a set of white floats with a color matched blue chevron type stripe running lengthwise down the side of the floats installed onto a Super Cub that will be at Joe Nall next year(cannot wait).

I hope I have the opportunity to meet and fly with some of you modelers at that event.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

delete
Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

I called Product Support at Horizion and asked if the bung in the fuel tank was gasoline compatable and they assured me that it is but the fuel line is not and must be replaced with Tygon
Bikerbc-
This is what I have in my Cub. http://www.jlproducts.net/ProductRotoFlow.html
Trouble free if you can handle the price.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 PM
jimmy0314

tevans55
Which Roto Flow did you use. I am going to start on mine just as soon as I can finish my Dirty Birdi, so I just might go ahead and order it.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM
bikerbc

Thanks for the suggestion , I have looked at them and may concider one in the future..I like the Hayes tanks for ease of assembly but I think for now I will just use the one that has come with the kit...
Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM
bikerbc

On the wing for the aileron servo hatch there is a slot on the opposite side from the hatch...Plus there is a horn on both sides of the aileron but I can not see any thing in the plans that references this...What do we do here?I must be missing something... In the instructions it shows a single horn on the servo...
Old 12-29-2012, 03:34 PM
bbrundle

Ken

Look at pages 17 & 18

Step 3 on page 18 shows the dummy pushrod
passing thru the top wing slot into a hole located in a former inside the
aileron servo area
Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 PM
bikerbc

Thankyou Bill , Yes I saw that and wondered what it was .. , is that just in there connected to nothing ? It has that cool little cover over it on the outside of the wing...So there is a clevis on it on the aileron and on the inside it goes through that little hole and connects to nothing?...
Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 PM
pldawg
My Feedback: (6)

Yep
Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 PM
bbrundle

Ken

That is correct.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 AM
bikerbc

Thankyou for your replys ..I must that I am surprized..I guess this is a scale detail...I have never seen anything like this before...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.