Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Fiberglassing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 PM
DIVERHERB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglassing

I posted this on another site but would like to know if anyone here has tried it. I just saw a video on fiberglassing your plane using polyurethane instead of resin. It looks like the same process as you would use if using resin but instead using polyurethane. If this works it would have alot of benifits. Clean up would be easier, material less expensive, less smell, and easier to work with. So has anyone here tried it, I plan to try it on a scrap piece and see how it turns out.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:13 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglassing

yes many times and it works great. If you go into my gallery you will see several airplanes listed as covered in Stits and then painted. What I did not state was that all open bay areas are covered in Stits covering and all sheeted areas are covered with 3/4 oz. cloth and poly.

Bob
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM
DIVERHERB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I viewed your gallery, you have some pretty impressive looking planes. I am going to have to use this method of covering on a plane I have on my work bench at the moment and hopefully it will turn out as nice as your planes. One question though, what is it that you refer to as "STITS"? Thanks for the input.
Herb
Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Google Stits scale covering and you will find out everything you need to know, I wish you the best.

Bob