Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Tanker in Florida

Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Dandelion5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tanker in Florida

Hi guys (and gals), I'm a new tanker on the site and bought my son and I HL S/S tanks for Xmas. We have a Tiger and an M26. My next step is to try and locate a local club which I haven't had much luck doing and to get DBU/DBC units for the tanks. I'm not very RC savvy, so any help would be appreciated. Anyone from Florida? Also, is it possible to buy these units already assembled? What upgrades are necessary if we do find a club to battle in? I've always been a WW2 historical fanatic and the tanks are so realistic that it kinda hooked meπŸ˜„
Thanks for the help and I look forward to 'meeting' some of you!
- Adam
Old 12-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Rebellion13

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: New Tanker in Florida

Welcome Adam,

As far as the DBU/DBC yes these can be purchased already assembled. Dan aka (YHR) on the forums here sells these, he is a very well known and respected tanker/vendor, customer service is his top priority. He is currently out of stock on these but will be building more after the new year.
http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/

He also sells a benedini sound board to connect to the dbc3 which is an incredible sounding board. Check out his site. As far as tank clubs in your area, I am not sure. Someone from your area hopefully will chime in. Hope your stay here is fun, and informative. Also by using the dbc you will need to upgrade to an aftermarket transmitter as the heng long radio cannot be used then (crappy anyway), but you can get some decent cheap radios from http://www.hobbyking.com and http://www.hobbypartz.com if you go this route go for the 2.4ghz radios. Welcome again. http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html decent really inexpensive radio, just ordered one myself.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Rebellion13

Oops forgot to add. Upgrades for the tiger would be stronger suspension springs and 3:1 gears. Freakydude's website http://www.shop.immortalhobbies.com/ sells waltersons gear sets which are really nice from what I have heard. The M26 is a strong runner out of the box, and because of the sprocket dimension does not need 3:1 gears its almost like they are built in. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 PM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Florida tanker here, not many of us around and no club that I know of. Of course it only takes one or two to start the nucleus of a club.
I have several HL's and a couple of Tamiya. Welcome aboard !

Paul
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Rebellion13

while I am at it lol, I am including some of my bookmarks that I frequent often, these will keep you busy for awhile.

http://armorcreations.weebly.com/
http://www.etoarmour.com/
http://www.ak-interactive-usa.com/
http://www.clark-model.com/eng/index_e.html
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/
http://www.matomart.com/homepage.php
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/forgebear/

also the link is too big for the english translation so you can google these.
asiatam.de
rctank.de

Cheers,
Wade
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 2 hours south of you and Paul and can do electronics and other upgrades if you like. I was supposed to get a website going but have been inundated with new business and haven't had the time.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Adam,
I am over in St. Petersburg about 1 and a half hours away. I go to the AAF museum in Danville and battle on their indoor battlefield. They have three day events two or three times a year, I have been going for the last couple of years as had Dennis over in Cocoa. He has been a couple of times as well.
I have three Tamiya tanks that I battle at Danville, it's a lot of fun, if you can go up next year the next event is the extravaganza in April. Officially it is the 27th and the 28th but it usually gets started on Friday. I think Dennis is going, so that would make three Floridians,attending if you can go.
Steve
Old 12-31-2012, 05:14 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi and welcome ot RC tanking. There are a lot of upgrade products out there, which is a far cry from what it used to be like. If you are interested in the DBC3 I can help. If you want to contiinue using the Heng long radio equipment, David still sells the DBC1 as a kit. [link=http://darkith.dyndns.org/~darkith/html/dbc.shtml]Darkith[/link] This work with the HL radio.

With the low cost of decent quality 2.4 Ghz radio's (Hobby King T6a) I would suggest you look at that upgrade route early on Once you do that then you can use the DBC3, or go to others

Lots of help here on the board. If you have questions, just ask.

Cheers

Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 AM
highrack

Hi Adam, I live just north of Pensacola about 5 miles east of the Alabama line, quite a ways from you. So far it seems any Florida tankers live near your side of Florida.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Dandelion5

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!
Wade - thanks for the info.  I ordered my tanks from Matomart in Canada, so I believe they have the upgraded gears...3:1 I think?  I know they are metal, though I haven't actually opened the units up to see yet.

Paul - awesome, you're in town.  Maybe we should look at getting the nucleus of a club going ourselves in the future.  Contact me via email and we'll get together sometime.  I might know a couple places to for battlefields.

Swath - thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind for sure.

Shark - I saw somewhere that's there's someone in Cocoa too.  As I said to Paul, maybe us Florida guys could get our own club going.  Orlando is Central to all (how convenient for me...lol).  Maybe one day I can get a trip together to Danville... I doubt it will be soon, but who knows... wife... (clears throat)..

Dan - thank you so much for your thread.  I'm definitely interested.  I need to research a little as to what radio I want.  So I order the DBC3 and it's pretty much just a plug in once I disassemble the Tiger?  What about the DBU?  Do you sell that or do I need to get that from David?

Also, I'm having a small issue with my Tiger I, it seems like the left track is running faster than the right... more noticably when the battery is less charged or is depleting.  Any ideas?  I can work with it with the trim, but it's sometimes significant.  

Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 AM
Dandelion5

John - sorry, I was actually typing my response when you posted. Yeh, that's quite aways, though I have been up there hunting before. Next time I do, I'll email you and bring my tanks!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome aboard Adam!

And Happy New Year as well!

~ Jeff
Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should take off the tracks, and then try running the gears in. Check for any heat build up in the motors, and while you are at it rotate the gears by hand. If you use your finger and rotate the gear closes to the pinion. You shoud be able to move it freely. If you feel any cogging, you might have to pull out the gear boxes and do some fine tuning on them.

I can get the DBU kits if you want, and them ship them with the DBC3 if you decide to go that route. I do make converted Heng Long sensors with LEDs, but I don't push them much as they are very labour intensive for me to make. Truth is, if you really get into this and you go to any of the bigger established clubs, you will need a Tamiya TBU. These plug right into the DBC3. Yes the DBC3 is plug and play, on its own or with the Benedini. If you opt for a cheaper sound option, and buy it from me it will be all plug and play, but if you add your own low cost sound module then you do have to wire that up to the DBC3.

My website has some how to's and ideas on how to have some fun in this hobby.

[link=http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/index.html]Battle Armor[/link]

Cheers
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 AM
MODELMAN2

Dont forget to checkout www.Taigentanks.com and we have a direct replacent radio T5 for Henglong tanks ..Thanks and Happy New Year taigentanks brooksville florida
Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Rebellion13

Adam, the metal upgrade package you bought is most likely the standard gear set just with metal gears instead of plastic. They will work fine. But with 3:1 gears you will have better torque, a more reasonable speed and they are easier on the electronics e.g less heat.

Cheers
Wade
Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Dandelion5

Wade -
Do you have a preference for a specific brand of 3:1 ratio gears (not too expensive) that you recommend? Also, is it difficult to install? I'm not a moron, but I have limited technical experience in this field and I've zero sodering experience... though I do know what one is...lol
Happy New Year everyone! Be safe!
~Adam
Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Rebellion13

The mato 2.0 gears I have heard are pretty good. And the new waltersons gears are nice, they come with different pinions so you can fine tune them, also they have a pinion tool included plus they are real purty look'n lol. Also mato and waltersons include a mounting plate for the specific tank so they should be a direct fit. Soldering isn't difficult just need to practice. As with the gears everyone has their preference, and some will most likely chime in. As far as pricing, I have seen some as low as $40 for 3:1 and they go up from there. I have the old style mato's and they are kinda flimsy. The 2.0 are decent from what I have heard. Whatever brand you decide on, check them before installing to make sure everything is aligned.

Cheers
Wade

Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 PM
BarkingSquirrel

I hope this isn't bad form, being a month since the threads last post. However I am back in the hobby and moved back to FL. Those who may remember would know I pretty much only like modern tanks(I built one of, if not the, first AFV Model M1A1 lower hull here) so the ZTZ-99A and coming Leopard 2A6 are very exciting for me and I'll be picking up both when I can. Is there a release date or any other information on the Leopard 2A6? I've only seen 2-3 pictures of it. Any ideas where I can get a ZTZ-99A(the ERA armored version) for a decent price? You can normally only find the non-ERA armored version or if you find the ZTZ-99A its like ~$250 which is ridiculous.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Ten41

I know that this post is getting rather old, but I just saw that this was about tankers in Florida.  I am up near the Jacksonville region, about 30 minutes West.  I currently only have HL S/S, but wish to upgrade in the future.

So, at least another source of fodder in the future!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Green Amphibian

Well, welcome aboard to all the new cannon fodder! Really though, glad to have you with us!

Herman
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

There's another tanker, been at it for years, moving to the Jax area this spring. I'll check with him and see when the move will happen. There's enough of you around that forming a club should be no problem.