Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Model Aviation and Dogs

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Model Aviation and Dogs

Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Model Aviation and Dogs

Dogs just don't belong at a flying field. There are planes around that leashes can damage, and there are too many strangers that can be an issue. I know that there are some very well-behaved dogs around, but what's the point of bringing them if you're just going to leave them tied to a pole or in your car while you fly?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Dogs just don't belong at a flying field. There are planes around that leashes can damage, and there are too many strangers that can be an issue. I know that there are some very well-behaved dogs around, but what's the point of bringing them if you're just going to leave them tied to a pole or in your car while you fly?
Kind of holds true for wives and girlfriends.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Tailspin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And small children.........
Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 AM
oskartek

ORIGINAL: Tailspin

And small children.........
They're worse than dogs cause if you put them on a leash then you run the risk of being
cited for child abuse.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Dogs just don't belong at a flying field. 
That's how I feel, and I love dogs. If they're allowed, and one comes to visit & spend quality time with the pooch, fine. If one goes to fly and leaves the dog in the car most of the time, why bring the animal?
I've seen too many times where dogs (and kids) pose a distraction or become a nuisance. We allow them, but have one member who shows up with the dog on a leash and walks up to everyone in the pits and pooch sniffs, rubs, gets tangled, etc,. while the owner blithely carries on pointless chatter. One would like to ban both at that point.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We have a few members that bring dogs, and its funny they all seem to know that the planes are off limits.. I suppose they learned that growing up..
Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 PM
N7532B

What's the point of taking your dog to the field just to have them sit in the car and wait? This is what I can't understand about people taking their dogs out with them. Just leave them at home. Dogs at the mall. Dogs at the Home Depot. Dogs at the Starbucks. Dogs at the flying field. Dogs at church. Stop it already!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would never take my dog to a club field.
Sassie Girl loves to come along when I head out to the hay field to fly. After 2 or 3 flights she starts dropping hints that it's time to go to Jack in the Box, though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65265.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1834396  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 AM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Sassie Girl loves to come along when I head out to the hay field to fly. After 2 or 3 flights she starts dropping hints that it's time to go to Jack in the Box, though.
Sassie looks like she has a tough life.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 AM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

Sassie looks like she has a tough life. [img][/img]

I keep telling her she better get her act together or else I'll ship her up to Alaska to work on a dog sled team..but she just rolls over and pretends not to hear me.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: foodstick

We have a few members that bring dogs, and its funny they all seem to know that the planes are off limits.. I suppose they learned that growing up..
Been known to bring our dog out to the FF... HE loves it! He gets so much attention... His name is Carden...Yep, named after the model airplane company...Long story... He has a special "Fly Dog" suit... Don't know where my wife got it but its very fitting as it looks like he could fly with those big ears.LOL

Dogs are like people...some are a pure joy at the airfield while others are not...
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 AM
combatpigg

I used to fly control line at a school yard where a strange dog would show up to watch me get everything set up. Once airborne, he/she waited for the plane to come around, then he would leap into the air trying to snatch it. He was good about letting it land to get refueled and launched again.
Another great topic would be eagles and squirrel monkeys at the FF, but I would never bring my pet eagle and his squirrel monkey "pilot" [that rides him horseback] out to the field..either...
Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 AM
littlecrankshaf

but I would never bring my pet eagle and his squirrel monkey ''pilot'' [that rides him horseback] out to the field..either...
Dang...you're a party pooper...
Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

but I would never bring my pet eagle and his squirrel monkey ''pilot'' [that rides him horseback] out to the field..either...
Dang...you're a party pooper...
...well, of course the monkey steers the eagle with a "bit & bridle" but he's just not strong enough to keep the eagle from attacking other planes........
Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 PM
fredsedno

Have any of you folks ever seen a cute doggie chase an rc plane on a runway? Or seen it's face when it catches it?
Can't be very pretty. And when the summons arrives, who pays the bill? Just wondering. fredsedno
Old 01-01-2013, 04:01 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fredsedno

Have any of you folks ever seen a cute doggie chase an rc plane on a runway? Or seen it's face when it catches it?
Can't be very pretty. And when the summons arrives, who pays the bill? Just wondering. fredsedno
As much as I like dogs, I won't take mine to the RC field. I don't mind if she comes with the wife if that is not a long stay or in any way disrupting to others there.

I have to maintain that RC fields are for flying RC planes. Take the dogs somewhere else and hang with them. I can see it if it is a field where no one hardly goes or has few members and no one really cares.

In one club I go to they have several that bring dogs and they are quite an aggravation really. They do keep them leashed, but just does not seem all that great for the dog. In many ways it is about respect to others, but then who respects others these days?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM
K-Bob

The same criteria should be used for dogs, children or GF/wives. If they are well mannered then bring them out.

What alot of people don't realize is that to many people, kids, dogs and gf/wives are like farts. You can only stand your own.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Scota4570

I have always had a dog. I always spent a lot of time training my dogs. They are always under control. I train them to poop/pee at my command. All of them sit and stay until I tell them otherwise, ETC, ETC. Not everyone does the same.

You have no idea how a particular dog is trained. A dog, at the field, will be blamed for model dings/ damage, poop, whatever just because it is there. The animal being injured or killed is possible.

Some people see their animals as children that can never do wrong. Often, these animals are not well behaved or trained. Not everyone likes animals, particularly out of control animals. You can't tell by looking at someone's dog. How can you can you judge what dogs are OK and which are not without offending members. In the end, if one brings their dog they will create conflict with someone. It becomes a catalyst for bad blood. What is the possible upside for bring your dog the the flying field? Dogs can't fly RC! Please leave your dog at home or in the car.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of folks think their unruly pets, children, partners ,etc..are so cute and there's no problem with them whatsoever . Problem is a lot of other people don't feel that way. I  and many folks can tolerate a lot but unruly pets and kids push the limits. There are people who walk their dogs near the field and out of 10 there may be 2 who have their animals trained well and the rest are just out of control and the owners seem oblivious to it.

I wouldn't want those folks bringing their pets or kids to the field if they can't control them or just don't care.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For years, we had no leash law. Any club member who brought dogs out to the field had them well trained. Most would stay in the parking area or by their owner's planes in the pits. A few actually would not go onto the field or into the pits at all until people started packing up at the end of a flying day They were actually better behaved than some of the young kids.
Then a newer generation showed up with undisciplined dogs. When one dog scratched the owner's own kid, the officers got together, gathered some opinions, and set up a leash law requiring that dogs either be on a leash under the owner's control in the pits, or staked out on leash on the far side of the parking road across from the pits. We lost a couple members who had well-behved dogs over that. we do not see very many dogs at the field anymore.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 PM
fgdsfg

it is ok to take the dog accompany with you ,and I don't see a problem with this, provided that reasonable care is taken. take your loved dog along with you to share your joyful monent is good.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: 50+AirYears

For years, we had no leash law. Any club member who brought dogs out to the field had them well trained. Most would stay in the parking area or by their owner's planes in the pits. A few actually would not go onto the field or into the pits at all until people started packing up at the end of a flying day They were actually better behaved than some of the young kids.
Then a newer generation showed up with undisciplined dogs. When one dog scratched the owner's own kid, the officers got together, gathered some opinions, and set up a leash law requiring that dogs either be on a leash under the owner's control in the pits, or staked out on leash on the far side of the parking road across from the pits. We lost a couple members who had well-behved dogs over that. we do not see very many dogs at the field anymore.
Your officers should be commended for a job well done...We are so fortunate to have leaders like that...
Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had dogs all my life and can not remember ever bringing one to a club field. I did occasionally take a dog to a sod farm where I was the only one flying, but it was always a distraction.

Dogs in the shop are a problem too. They don't normally wear safety glasses so flying particles can be a hazard. I fly out my front yard at the moment and the new puppy Stormy is rather curious about everything including starting the plane, paper towels, and the plane on the runway. I feel I am taking a big risk letting him roam free when I fly, and I sometimes lock him in the house so I can focus on flying. Dogs and RC airplanes just do not mix well. If you do put them together, you are increasing risk in some area. You just might not know where until the line is crossed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64045.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1843202  
Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Kind of holds true for wives and girlfriends.

Except some wives and girlfriends make things a little better to look at, some times!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It was a tough thing to enact our leash reg. The members had mixed emotions. It was the dog scratching a kid that decided the membership at the meeting to vote to enact it (any change to our field rules or operating rules, and any major financial decisions require a quorum vote at a regular business meeting. No railroad engineers.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.