Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

wheel pants

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 05:25 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default wheel pants

Ihave had multiple large scale planes and it seems as though the wheel pants are always the weakest part,,while moving the plane, or tilting itetc, the wheel pants crack.. I understand that light weight is important, but are fiberglass pants really that much lighter than a set of plastic ones,, the plastic ones I have had seem to take anything but a crash. Is my way of thinking wrong here. I just tilted my biplane at the field today to put the wing bolts in, and crack, there goes the dang wheelpant. I am going to replace it with a plastic one, I want wheel pants because to me a plane without them is as ugly as homemade soap,,
anyone familiar with a place that sells plastic wheelpants?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 PM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wheel pants

Would you concider changing the way you mount them ? Wheel collets silver soldered to a brass strip which is bolted to both sides of the wheel pant, if you dont want the bolts on the outside you could screw the brass strip to a piece of hardwood which is then glued to the insides of the wheel pant. doing this means they will just gently rotate on the axle's with no damage.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I make my own. There is a flat panel of 1/8 ply cut to the diameter of the wheel and the flat of the pants on each. The rest is balsa thick enough to enclose the wheel. !/4 inch bolts are used as axles with Dubro four inch wheels. Washers are epoxied to the plywood to reinforce it at the axles. A ΒΌ inch nut is soldered to a large washer and it is used as a compression fitting against the inside ply to the LG. It is adjusted to hold the pant in place but to let it rotate if necessary. The damage from bad landings can be easily repaired. Dan.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91059.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1833399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76590.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1833400  
Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 PM
scaleman57
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there is a company in Virginia called Fiberglass specialties that makes and has in stock wheel pants and cowls for all the big birds and most manufacturers models. I used to see them advertizing in MAN when I subscribed Im sure they are still around.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 PM
loserr
My Feedback: (4)

All day Dan , I would love to see a short video on how you do those wheelpants. they look great.. I am a visual kind of guy. thanks..
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Capt Cash
My Feedback: (1)

I agree, wheel pants on large scale arfs just don't last, especially on grass fields. On new arfs I now doa light layup of fiber glass inside the pant on all the lower edges and about an inch or two up the insides. It dosen't take much time at allandreally reinforces the weak areas that take most of the abuse.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:03 PM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sullivan makes a decent set of wheel pant brackets for most sizes including giant scale. I just installed the pants on my 33% RV3 and I used the brackets. As mentioned I epoxied a piece of plywood on each side(inside) then mounted the bracket to the wood. The plane weighs 30 lbs and I've tipped it up on the front of the pants a few times already with no ill effects. The pants are heavy fiberglass similar to what Fiberglass Specialties  sells.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 PM
All Day Dan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK loserr, I don't have a video but here's a drawing that you can use. Adjust the size to what you need for the wheel you are using. There are wheel collars on the screw axle to keep the wheel centered. The compression of the fender washer and nut soldered to it is used to allow the pant to rotate as needed during those terrible landings and stay in place normally. Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36273.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1835562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78564.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1835563