Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Thoughts?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 PM
fbords

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts?

I recently picked up this plane aas my first non-trainer. Anyone have any experience with one? They look pretty good for the money.

http://www.bananahobby.com/silver-at...5677-prd1.html

[img]webkit-fake-url://1C9A730B-3AA4-4DA0-8E22-A03533CA76C7/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thoughts?

No experience with it but even though brushed motor, nimh, and 72mhz park type radio... it would bve fun to toss around. You can always upgrade to brushless and lipo if you like it. Does say sold out. I may be mistaken but I beleive I recall some having issues with banana hobby.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have seen several of the plane but don't know if they bought them from BH or not. You should do a search here about them before you buy. That goes for all on line distributors, not just them.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Chucksolo69

One of my flying buddies has the exact plane painted yellow. It tends to be tail heavy and weight needed to be added to the front to get the CG right. After that it flew pretty well. I hear it handles kind of like a T-28 Trojan.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
fbords

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

One of my flying buddies has the exact plane painted yellow. It tends to be tail heavy and weight needed to be added to the front to get the CG right. After that it flew pretty well. I hear it handles kind of like a T-28 Trojan.

how does he like it? I picked it up from a LHS for under $100 so it's bound to need a little work. I don't quite have the skills for what I really want: theBlitzRCWorks Super F4U Corsair. Man that's a beauty!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:58 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Actually I'd think you would have to be a better pilot to handle that plane than you would for some of the bigger quality built warbirds. Banana Hobby is probably the second most hated distributor in the RC business, with Hobby King being the first (oddly enough though, we keep buying those cheap parts from them). Brushed motors aren't used anymore on anything but the cheapest packages today because brushless motors are so much more efficient and durable. I suppose if you picked the plane up for $50 or so receiver ready you did fine (assuming nothing fails in flight during your first outing) but frankly you could have spent your money better and had a better product.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely look somewhere else to spend my money. Banana Pete does not have a reputation for quality products and even less for customer service.

Do some research before you send him your money.

Frank
Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

Texans in general are not easy to fly and add the hit or miss quality from banana hobby and you may have a stressful plane in your hands.
I would look into balsa but electric like the e-flite planes. Advance 25e is an excellent 2nd/3rd plane, its low wing, great speed, great control, and extremely stable. The guys at the club seem to like my plane and setup, i get compliments here and there after i land. The plane just makes everything look easy and smooth even though its a very capable and sporty plane.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just noticed the OP said he already picked it up?? Why buy something then ask questions about it after the fact? The ATs I have seen like this little one are all owned and operated by experienced pilots and they enjoy them a lot. Along with the FW 190 and F4U Corsairs. I'm not sure how one of these planes would be for someone that has just learned to fly.
Jester, I have had great luck with Hobby King. Of course I never order anything on back order {except once} and then every item we ordered was on back order. We also watch what it is we order. I only order electric motors and ESC with battery packs. Got a heck of a deal on the charge bags until the shipping charges kicked in. Those things are heavy!!! We also figure if we get a bad something to just toss it because there is no customer service at all.